ED Facility?

Options
Hey,

So the doctors want me to take this quarter off school and check into a facility.
Not sure if it's a financial possibility, but we'll find out soon.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with one.

-What was your attitude going in? (Did you want to get better or were you pretty much made to go?)
-What was the experience like, what kind of stuff did they do, etc?
-How long were you there?
-What effect did it have on your ED?
-What effect did it have on your weight?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this, it's a really big decision and I would like to be as informed as possible.

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a dear freind who had to join one of these and she also had to quit school for a while to go in. She was Balemic. It helped her greatly and she is doing much better. She is back in school and doing great. This could be a very good thing for you and if you need it to live then do it.
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh babe, first of all, I am VERY proud of you for even considering it. It is a very big step and I know it is very scary. I did not go into a facility, but I did move from South Carolina to Texas to find a healthier environment, which included a nutritionist and intensive therapy. My mom and step dad lived near the facility, so I was living with them for accountability.

I was not made to go. I went to Texas and to all treatment voluntarily. Sometimes my attitude was very optimistic, sometimes I was a nasty *****. I did alot of group therapy. Alot of schema therapy (you can look it up online, it's a method of treatment). I had to do alot of logging of food, daily mood charts, journaling, etc. I got very lucky that my therapist never pushed me so hard that I resented it. I knew I was sick. I wanted to be better, desperately.

From the day I first started (May 26, 2007) I was healthy from purging. I signed a contract that I wouldn't purge. He gave me several weeks to sign it. When I did, I had my mind made up. I did continue binging relapses. I would say I had maybe one every month, for about a year. It was a huge improvement, but I still was working on myself.

I'm not sure if you ever get over it all the way. I still fight the urge to binge or starve when I'm stressed or sad. I am on Prozac and still see a therapist and I have no shame to do whatever keeps me well.

Good luck on your journey. We are ALL behind you :flowerforyou:
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Really proud that you're going in wanting help rather than just because someone is making you :)
    Good luck to you! Hoping for the best
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

I'm not going to lie, if I actually thought this thing was going to help me get skinny, I would not be seeking treatment. But so far it's made me gain back everything I lost on MFP (19 pounds). Maybe worse than that, it's destroying me mentally. I can't live like this. ED-people know what I'm talking about, it's not just about how you eat - that's very little of it compared to how it affects your thinking. That's the main thing I want to fix.