HELP! Runners, some advice please!!!

Options
I did it, I finally registered for my first half marathon.....now, what do I do????

I've never ran that far in my life. I have 7 weeks and 5 days to train....where do I start?? Do I continue to strength train? I'm kind of at a loss as to where I should start...my longest run to date is about 8 miles....so whats another 5, right? LOL...maybe not!!! BUT, I am very excited, and my goal is to keep at least a 10 minute mile pace the entire race....any advice?? ANYTHING HELPS!!! Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like to use Hal Higdon race plans. You can good his name and they are free online. I have used the half and full plans.

Good luck with your race!
  • tobrocker
    tobrocker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good for you! YIPPPY!!! I signed up for a 10 miler in June. I did a half a few years ago but have struggled to keep at it. Hal Higdon has a FANTASTIC training program. According to him you should continue to do your strength training. Here is the link to his website. His half training program is free! http://www.halhigdon.com/ GOOD LUCK!!!
  • afparker
    afparker Posts: 1
    Options
    I just finished my second and I found that my local running shop had a lot of great advice and help. They even have social runs at night so you can run with a group. You might want to see if you have a running shop in your area or a running club?

Good Luck!
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    There are lots of HM training plans out there. The one I used for my 1st half marathon was on runnersworld.com Just click on training in the farleftand go from there.

Good luck! :)
  • almorrow1s
    almorrow1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts, I used halhigdon.com for my half marathon plan and it worked wonderfully. Good luck and have fun!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaime. You can do this 7 weeks to work up from 8 miles is very doable.

Check out fitness magazine or runners world for their training plans and just pick up with the week that looks most like what you currently do.

I'm doing a 1/2 on the 30th... here's my training so far...
    I worked up to a 10 miler (and ran it as a race) on March 26,
    The next week I ran 5, 4, 3, and 8.
    Then 5, 5, 3 and 10.
    Then 5, 5, 3, and 12,
    Then 5, 3 rest and my mini.

A 2 mile jump in mileage per week is actuall alot, many sources say keep it at about 10% increases...

I do one rest day a week and cross training (for me that's yoga class, eliptical and/or strength train) on days in between. I hope that helps!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Nikki is right Hal Higdon race plans are very good. halhigdon.com, it gives you novice, intermediate and advanced runner plans. Very detailed.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Runnersworld.com also has some great plans. And you can customize them to your weekly mileage and length of time until race day.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    awesome---such good advice so far!! :)
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Runner's World online has half marathon training plans (you could also google their Ultimate Marathon Training Plan and just train up to the half marathon portion). The nice part about that plan is there are 3 levels of intensity - beginner, intermediate, and expert - so you can pick the amount of training that suits you. I've done the beginner plan (which I followed pretty loosely) twice now, for two marathons and it worked great for me.

I've now modified the "intermediate" training plan in preparation for one of those big relays coming up this summer. Yay!

As far as strength training - keep doing it. It will help keep you from getting injured as long as you're smart about it ... maybe take it a little easier on your legs.

I think aiming to run 3-4 times a week, and doing strength training 2-3 days a week, is probably a pretty good goal to aim for. Some weeks will be less and that's ok, too.

In my opinion, if you're going for a distance that's well above what you've ever run before, the most important run of the week is going to be your weekend long run.

GOOD LUCK!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you use Hal Higdon's plan for a beginner, you are 3/4 of the way through a 12 week training session if your longest run is at 8miles.

7 weeks is more than enough time to be in condition to finish a 1/2 marathon.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I forgot the most important part, since it is your first, just finish and have a good time!!
  • rowshell
    rowshell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon plans are good. Runnersworld.com also has plans available. With 7 weeks to go, your plan will be pretty simple, though. Just add an extra mile to your long run once a week. If you're at 8 now, then do a long run of 9 next week, 10 the week after, etc. You don't want to add too much too fast. And for your first race, you really just need to get up to a long run of 12 or so before the race. For your other workouts, make sure you're getting in a speed workout at least once a week (tempo run, intervals, or hills). That will make you faster.

I've been training for my first marathon and I only run 3 days a week: one easy run (3-5 miles), one speedwork , and one long run. I swim or bike on the other three workout days. I'm using a plan I got off Runners World. When I started with half marathons I used Hal Higdon's plans. You should totally keep doing your strength training (if you have time), but you'll want to back off the week before your race so you're as rested and ready as possible on race day. Same goes for your long run. Your last really long run should be two weeks before race day, with maybe 8 or 9 miles the week before your race.

Good luck!
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    If you are already up to 8 miles, you can DEFINTELY get up to 13.1 in 7 weeks! There are a lot of plans online, but here is a list of what I did in 2009 for my first half-marathon (once I reached the point of going 8 miles at a time, which took a WHILE!):

Note: This is ONLY if you are already doing up to 18 miles in a week - you don't want to increase too quickly.

Week 1: 4 miles, Rest, 4 miles, Rest, 4 miles, 8 miles, Rest. Total: 20 miles for the week.
    Week 2: 4, Rest, 4, Rest. 4, 10, Rest. Total: 22 miles for the week.
    Week 3: 4, Rest, 6, Rest, 4, 8, Rest. Total: 22 miles for the week.
    Week 4: 4, Rest, 3, Rest, 4, 12, Rest. Total: 23 miles.
    Week 5: 3, Rest, 3, Rest, 3, 4, Rest. Total: 13 miles.
    RACE WEEK! 2, Rest, 2, Rest, Rest, Race Day!!!, Rest. Total 17.1 miles
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    And to help track your progress, download runkeeper for your android or iphone (maybe bb too) if you don't have it already!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!! Lots to look into....VERY excited for the next couple of months!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Smart Coach tool on Runnersworld.com - I think the key between now and your 1/2 is to run 10 miles a few times, an 11 mile and one or two 12 milers. I got injured about 5 weeks out from my first 1/2 after my first 11 mile training run. It was my last long run before the 1/2 - and honestly, I was still FINE having run only one 10 miler and one 11 miler.

You will do great!! 7 weeks is a TON of time to gear up from 8 miles to a half marathon.