i cant poo.

Options

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I drink as much water as I can, try to get in 7 servings of fruits and vegies, leafy ones really make a difference for me if I make sure one or two servings are of those, stay away from caffeine, and recently I started taking flax seed oil for the purpose of dry eyes and anxiety. But it's helped a lot in this area. I also found recently that I am gluten intolerant, and constipation is a symptom.

I have a family member who has really big issues with constipation, I mean this person has been backed up for a month or so at a time, seriously. I know they found something to do with their spinal cord doesn't go all the way down and connect, or part of it doesnt, and it essentially makes it so they don't have the sensation to go. So their certainly can be some serious reasons for chronic constipation, so definitely check with a doc if you can't get it figured out.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I dont know if anyone else has this problem...but i never poop. My mom is the same, i can go 2 weeks and nothing, i take exlax to sometimes, cuz i feel clogged up and feel that i should be going...it doesnt really help me much....i dunno just thought id see if anyone else has the same problem..

also would like to know...i hadnt been drinking fluids, at all really....and ive been struggling to lose any more weight so i decided i would start drinking tons of water and that would help me lose...well its been a week and i never peeked at the scale...weighed in this morning and i gained 6 pounds! wtf.

PLEASE do NOT use exlax...that can mess you up forever! Your body becomes dependent on it and after a while it stops working.
    Eat 3 prunes every night before bedtime. Drink at least 5 or 6 cups of water a day. Don't worry about the gain...you are probably just backed up! Try this, it really works!
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I had this problem for a while when I was a small child, so I feel your pain. Nutrition-wise, I would recommend hot liquids, especially in the morning, like black coffee or hot tea. Eat cereal that's high in fiber, granola bars, and prunes are always great. (They now have those yummy fresh individually-wrapped ones - I think Sunkist makes them.) And lay off the binding cheese and processed bread!
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    All Natural Laxative

Not a flavor savor but work...
    Cancer patients use this because of the meds

1 1/4 cups unprocessed bran
    1 cup prune juice
    1 tablespoon molasses or honey
    1 cup applesauce

make 18 (2 tablespoons) servings

if 2 tablespoons is not enough can use 3-4

I see a lot of people are talking about fiber bars. They are usually filled with sugar. Eat lots of veggies, use flax seed in some form.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Flax meal is a must. I know I read another member here who posted that she had this problem. She started adding flax meal into her diet and no longer has any problems. My mom adds it to her yogurt every morning, you can also add it into almost anything: oatmeal, the breading on your chicken, etc. You'll want at least 2 tablespoons each day.

You can find flax meal in most grocery stores nowadays. Trader Joes definitely carries Bob's Red Mill brand and Costco carries it, too.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying, water and fiber. But if those don't make a difference, you may want to see a doctor. My mother-in-law only "goes" once every few weeks, and long story short, she found out that part of her colon is basically dead. I'm not sure how that works... But I don't really want to know.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    maybe you should see your doctor, not going in two weeks really isn't normal and I think it can make you sick.
    Are you getting any fiber in your diet?
  • funky_stripes
    funky_stripes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help, i have no idea what my fiber intake has been i will have to switch my settings, also...i dont go to the doctor, its a phobia of mine, terrified of the doctor. a friend of mine just gave me a cleanse which includes apple juice, ebson salts...grapefruit juice....ill try that and check my fiber intake...i think i get lots of protein, i drinkin protein shakes alot.....ill try the flax seed also
  • funky_stripes
    Options
    well i just checked it out and my fiber in the past month and a half averages around 18grams...protein is about 120 how much fiber should i intake
  • faithgin
    faithgin Posts: 32
    Options
    There are so many responses I am going to ask what if the constipation is a side effect due to a medication I now have to take?
  • synthetikk
    synthetikk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat food high in dietary fiber. (flax is great, all the carbs in it are fiber)
    Supplement your fiber.

if that, as well as laxatives can't help you, you should really see a doctor.
    If you can't go for two weeks, there's something wrong, and you can get really sick from not going.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You should be getting 35-30 grams of fiber each day. I'd suggest that if you find that isn't enough, up it a little more until you're going once a day or so on a regular basis.

Faithgin, I had surgery in December and my doctor actually prescribed a laxative along with the pain medication because that is one of the side effects. You might try flax meal, high fiber cereal or bars, more veggies but more than likely you just need an over the counter fiber supplement or a laxative, since your situation is temporary and you know what's causing it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    There are so many responses I am going to ask what if the constipation is a side effect due to a medication I now have to take?

That is definitely a possibility, and if it is, you just make sure you have tried all these things, and you may need to increase the amount a bit to counteract the effects.

I was on medication for 12 years, and I had to work around the effects. If I don't have to take another pill, to fix a side effect, I won't!
  • melaure
    melaure Posts: 33
    Options
    If it is really terrible you could try to drink milk of magnesium for quick relief, but do not depend on laxatives to help you to lose weight or to go to the bathroom. Every once in a great while is fine, as you should clean out your body anyway. I find that the Milk of Magnesium helps me if I haven't gone in a while and I know that I need to. You can find it in the laxative section of common drugstores.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eat more plants, especially legumes. Everyone seems to automatically think of whole grains and veggies when they are trying to increase fiber, which is great - but legumes have about double the amount of fiber as whole grains. Have a pinto bean burrito on a whole heat tortilla, or some black bean soup with corn chips, or split pea with whole grain corn bread. And of course, having plenty of fluids is also important but it looks like you are already doing this.

I think if you aim for 1-2 servings of legumes per day, you will see a big improvement!
  • marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    i actually read something the other week, you should be going number 2 atleast twice a week, the suggested amount is once every day or 2 days... if your going number 2 only once a week or even less than that, you should consult a doctor.
  • jsavy
    jsavy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you have been taking a laxative for a long time, your body becomes dependant on it and screws everything up and you can't go on your own anymore.

How true how true, my poor Mother suffered and could not go without an enema and she would be in there for a couple hours it was horrible! The doctor said she had abused laxatives all her life ( the old timers believe in having to be cleaned out) and this is what it had done to her so believe me don`t do that you will requet it. I make it a point not to take anything, she used mineral oil too but nothing worked eventually. I rememeber cod liver oil when I was younger but other than that I refrain from taking anything if I can at all.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    sometimes a wheat intolerance can cause this. Might be worth cutting out wheat products for a week to see if it helps

or are you on any medication? Can be a side effect
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Eat lots of vegetables - lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, etc... eat them two or three times per day.

Drink lots of water - warm water (the temperature you'd drink coffee or tea) sometimes helps get things moving.

Reduce or eliminate dairy - if you eat a lot of cheese, yogurt, milk, ice cream, etc, that could be causing constipation. My naturopath recommended a NO DAIRY diet for me (with a calcium supplement) and its amazing how well it helps with constipation.

Best of luck!
  • funky_stripes
    Options
    Goin to the grocery store tomorrow , like I said I don't have a doctor , phobia...no need to tell me how stupid that is I hear it all the time... I'm stubborn and terrified of doctors, I'll let u all kno how it goes after I add more fiber