Protein Powders...Talk to Me!

Options
I've just realized there is probably no way I can get enough protein from what I normally eat. I do eat animal proteins but just can't get enough of them to add up to my recommended requirements.

So, I went and bought a soy based protein powder from Trader Joe's which tastes great. I put it into my morning blueberry smoothie (made with soy milk, banana and blueberries) - all very healthy, high in antioxodants, fiber, etc.

But, the kicker is that it makes me nauseous! :sick: :sick: :sick:

Not sure if it is because this powder puts in all kinds of vitamins and minerals (I can't ake regular supplements for this reason) or if it is the soy itself.

What do you think? What do you use for protein powders I am still interested in using a powder that I can put in my smoothie rather than a powder that you just add water and it has its own flavor....

.......I could use some educating here. :blushing:

Replies

• becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use the Designer Whey Chocolate. I mix it with milk, ice and peanut butter for a yummy smoothie (I use it for the extra calories since I can't eat as much as I need to with all my exercise calories being adding in!) They have other flavors and the website give all kinds of recipes using fresh fruit.
  • cculver78
    cculver78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why not use regular whey protein powder. I was under the impression that people only use soy based protein powder when they can't tolerate whey.
  • Bickley
    Bickley Posts: 6
    Options
    I use vanilla EAS soy protein powder from Walmart. They also have chocolate.
  • sarcastje
    sarcastje Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    complete nutrition has this whey protein powder called mochacinno latte. its the best protein powder i have ever had. I think all the other ones taste like dried up barf, but this one actually is like a tasty treat after a work out :) It is pricey though (40 dollars for a container)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My Nutritionist recommended Whey protein. I like the Premier Protein shakes, others prefer the Pure Protein. As for powder, the Jay Robb and Pure Protein seem to be the most liked. Hope that helps and no more nausea!

Good Luck!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For my money, the best you can get is EAS Whey Protein powder (chocolate flavor for me). I think it has 18g of protein, and only 130 calories per serving. Plus, you can get a giant size bag at Sams Club for under $30.
  • banchubob
    banchubob Posts: 25
    Options
    I use the GMC AMP 60 because it is genital on my stomach. I had some issues with other powders because I am sensitive to lactose. I love going to GMC because all you have to do is tell them the problem you are having and they will point you in the right direction. Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I started using protein powder in water for fewer calories. It tastes ok, not great, not terrible. I drank it down SO fast. it made me terribly sick (nauseous, stomach cramps, general crappy feeling)

now I make sure to drink it slow, and it even tastes better if I add peanut butter or milk (almond milk + whey protein = :heart:)

Maybe just try to drink it slower and you can avoid nausea? Not sure for you but it worked for me.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I find the shakes make me feel sick - I use Bodutronics - Iso Whey Protein Isolate (also called whey 2O in some markets) - its fruit flavored. I've only had the Zesty Lemonade so far but the others are meant to be good too.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    because it is genital on my stomach.

I'm sorry, but THAT is funny.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein after a workout, if I drink it prior it makes me ill. Maybe give that a try. Good luck :-)
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I settled on Optimum Nutrition (ON) 100% Whey Gold Protein. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QSNYGI
    I tried a few including EAS which has been mentioned a few times but most were a little high in cholesterol for my liking. EAS was at 60, ON is only 30.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Soy ruins your thyroid!! Steer clear!
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I use the GNC Pro Performance AMP Vanilla and mix it with 1% milk and 1/3 package of yoplait smoothie mix.... 6 days a week following my workouts! Whey is better for before/after wo's, and soy is better for prolonged periods of rest (like before bed)...

GNC can be expensive, but I always go when my items are on sale or its the Gold Card savings week and I get an additional discount...

I normally use the 100% Whey from GNC, but the AMP was on sale and actually has fewer cal/fat for same amount of protein, plus it mixes a LOT better!

I have not tried really any other options, but seems to be some good reviews here on EAS products!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Find a good whey protein powder.

GNC is overpriced so avoid them.

Bodytech Whey (vitamin shoppe brand) is currently buy on get one half. I got 10 pounds of whey (lasts me 3 months) for about 65 bucks.
    Optimum Nutrition is good.
    Dymatize has some good flavors I think.
    And Scivation is a great low cal option.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Soy ruins your thyroid!! Steer clear!
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

I think thats definately overplayed.

I wouldn't eat like 1000s of servings of soy protein daily. But a scoop a day isn't gonna hurt you.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Believe what u want. I personally feel that my soy latte a day for the last few years has contributed to my thyroid/ metabolism issues. Go ahead and have a scoop a day and I'll laugh when u start getting man boobs lmao
  • jjenbautista
    jjenbautista Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Costco. Muscle milk protein powder. It's big and last long and it's 28 bucks. Grab a bag of triple frozen berry mix I'm the frozen section add a half banana blend. Water. Done.
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    @Amanda- I think that may have been your catalyst for thyroid problems if you think that, but that doesn't say everyone will have that. my mother and step father were nowhere near any type of soy in their diets and both of them have thyroid issues.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I use EAS vanilla whey protein found at Samsclub in 5lb bags for $30. I put it in skim milk and it tastes like melted vanilla ice cream.