still kinda confused about excercise calories

Options
I've read the threads but I'm kinda confused still.

So there's your BMR and you DEFFINATELY have to eat that. How do you calculate what is excercise? I have a pedometer and is calculates how many steps I take in a day and it tells you roughly how many cals you burned.

Should you eat them too?

Say my BMR is 1400 and my pedometer says 200..I should be eating 1600? And if I excercise and burn 300.....that makes 1900 cals I should be eating? Should I even bother with the pedometer???

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've read the threads but I'm kinda confused still.

So there's your BMR and you DEFFINATELY have to eat that. How do you calculate what is excercise? I have a pedometer and is calculates how many steps I take in a day and it tells you roughly how many cals you burned.

Should you eat them too?

Say my BMR is 1400 and my pedometer says 200..I should be eating 1600? And if I excercise and burn 300.....that makes 1900 cals I should be eating? Should I even bother with the pedometer???
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I would think that would equate into your lifestyle activity level, if it's just monitoring your gerenal steps throughout the day. A HRM is better in the sense that is monitors how hard you are working.

Does that make sense?
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    If you're using your pedometer for a specific exercise, walk or hike then it would count. But if you just wear it all day then no its already factored into you BMR. But do add in the exercise cals for sure. Or at least most of them. Hope that made sense!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you don't neccessarily have to eat you BMR. I don't. My BMR is in the neihborhood of 1500 calories. I eat 1300 on a regular day. more if I excercise. If you were trying to maintain your weight I would say yes, eat your BMR plus anything you burn during the day.

Eat the calories you burn from excercise- anything you do that is not a regular daily activity. sooo.... 1 hour walk around the neighborhood- eat it. 2 minute walk to the mailbox- don't eat it.