Evening eating

Options
HELP- I don't know what is wrong with me- I do so good during the day but then I get home for dinner & have a nice little plan... but then get de-railed b.c someone at home made pasta or cookies or theres a glass of wine etc etc... and then the rest of the night all I can think about is ooh, theres popcorn in the cabinet, or oooooohhhh frozen yogurt....

How do I stop thinking about something tasty!?

Replies

• Evsniece
    Evsniece Posts: 6
    Options
    I completely understand. I do the same thing. I try to save calories for that. I welcome any other tips!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Eliminate the items from your cabinets! If it's not there, you cannot eat it.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I to find myself struggling less at work. I thrive where I have structure and lack of temptation. I get home and I feel like I just freak out. I used to feel that way anyway. I actually had to sugar detox to get my mind off of munching. But it has helped me and I rarely get cravings these days. They come and go but I am much better equipped to manage them. I drink tea with artificial sweetener if I have to do something to fend off the munchies. It will get easier if you go but I had found for myself that as long as I gave in to them, I couldn't stop myself from giving in on a regular basis. For me, it was all or nothing.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have to tell myself, "No you don't want that" and I look at the bikini hanging on the back of my door which I hope to fit into. That's what works for me. I have the things in my cabinet and I allow myself to eat them on occassion, but not when I want, when I feel I'm allowed to treat myself.
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm a BIG evening snacker. I tried to quit eating after 8, but it just doesn't work with my schedule. If you are having wine, turn it into a spritzer by adding half the glass of club soda. Make your popcorn 100-cal smart pop bags, and a super safe and guilt-free crunchy snack is celery and salsa, you can pig out and do yourself no harm :)

Other options? Distract yourself. Painting my nails in front of the tv works b/c I can't reach into a snack bag. Or chew gum or brush your teeth to get rid of the cookie taste that makes you want more.

Good luck!
  • ndking21
    ndking21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    girl i love the 100 calorie snacks, especially the poptart minis (strawberry), oh and lately i have been on the smartones fudge brownie sundae (delicious) and only 140 calories. It taste just like the real thing...hope that helps.
  • antkaffie
    Options
    I do the same thing.I try to keep things like that out of my cabinet. Somethings they find their way in. But I try to keep things like chicken broth (filling and low cal), dry oats, cheerios, and things that are low cal. So I have something to snack on. Last night I was craving something sweet, so I ate it. Then I jogged for 15 minutes in the living room, so I can add some food and exercise to my track. It all balances out. Just tell yourself, "If I eat this, I have to do enough exercise afterwards to burn it off. Is it really worth it?"
  • poshy
    poshy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Had to laugh when I read your post....lol..its totally normal that you feel that way and it also tells me that you may not eat enough "power foods" during the day however the best remedy is to drink water, look at a couple of ads showing clothes you want to get into, then have another glass of water, sqeeze some lemon into it to change it up. You WILL get used to it as your body changes but it would help if you get RID of all that seems to have your name on it!!!

Good luck...:flowerforyou:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while.
    Just plan out what you're going to have for dinner.
    Say no to the wine and cookies. People eventually get used to the fact that you're eating healthy or that you're on a diet.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You should also think about why you want to eat what you want to at night. It sounds like you are eating because you are bored. Maybe you should find something to occupy your mind. Emotional eating is horrible, but it can be overcome. I find that when I started thinking of having this or that at night, I would get out a magazine or do some research online or talk to a friend or go for a walk around the block. As you can see, I find ways to distract myself and stop myself from eating because I am bored and not because I am hungry.
  • ringclown
    ringclown Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest downfall. I try to hold on to 300 to 400 calories after dinner, so i can eat popcorn etc. Usually that popcorn will turn into some ice cream chips etc. If I could control the night eating I could easily lose
  • rjohnson3452
    Options
    I agree with Foxxy if you can get rid of it, but that's hard with family. I have the same problem. Because of my exercise routine, my numbers are usually in the negative or zero before eating dinner, so I usually eat a lot of whatever I want. Doesn't seem like that can be healthy, but I am on plan so far with the weight loss.
  • AMYJ7
    AMYJ7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had to start an exercise routine in the evening to help get me through the tough times at night. Walking outside, exercise video, or Treadmill Walking!

good luck to you....
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Plan something just for you. I went through a week where my daughter baked brownies one day cookies another and my DH brought home a whole box of muchkins.

I had some chocolately delight special k bars and I had one of those instead. It fixed my chocolate craving and I felt good about myself that I didn't cave in. There is nothing wrong with popcorn, just plan for it; then you won't feel like you are cheating, and need to get it all in so it's out of your system.
  • mjane48
    mjane48 Posts: 18
    Options
    wow that was fast!!

Thanks everyone... I those were some great ideas... the spritzer instead of wine was a good one, my sister usually like to have a glass with me a few times a week so that will help!!

I'll start trying all your suggestions out, I'm sure out of all of them there will be a few that sitck :)