Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options

Replies

• leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    After all that worry, Week 3 Day 1 COMPLETE. I decided to just take my time, keep moving and saying to myself, you've got this, you can do it. I'm not going for "distance" but rather the experience, but I did notice that I lost some distance on my usual route by the time I finished. But that's totally ok because I RAN 3 MINUTES!!!! And I crossed paths with a group of runners who all cheering chimed, "Good Morning" as we crossed each other and they didn't laugh or sneer at the fat girl (me). It felt awesome to face that anxiety of being out in public exercising.
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D1 feel pretty good so I walked 4.5 mile after.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    After all that worry, Week 3 Day 1 COMPLETE. I decided to just take my time, keep moving and saying to myself, you've got this, you can do it. I'm not going for "distance" but rather the experience, but I did notice that I lost some distance on my usual route by the time I finished. But that's totally ok because I RAN 3 MINUTES!!!! And I crossed paths with a group of runners who all cheering chimed, "Good Morning" as we crossed each other and they didn't laugh or sneer at the fat girl (me). It felt awesome to face that anxiety of being out in public exercising.

that's so awesome!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 now and I just wanted to lend some support and encouragement to everyone else who is starting out or thinking of starting! I've always hated running and have had terrible stamina, so when at the end of Week 5, I realized I had to run 20 minutes straight, I was absolutely terrified. However, all these weeks of building up running in intervals worked wonders. It was tough, but I pushed through the 20 minutes and am thrilled. I never thought I'd find the day when I actually looked forward to my running workout. Seriously, it feels great! So to anyone who's still ambivalent, or is worried, try it out!! If you need to repeat a week, repeat it. But hang in there!
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 now and I just wanted to lend some support and encouragement to everyone else who is starting out or thinking of starting! I've always hated running and have had terrible stamina, so when at the end of Week 5, I realized I had to run 20 minutes straight, I was absolutely terrified. However, all these weeks of building up running in intervals worked wonders. It was tough, but I pushed through the 20 minutes and am thrilled. I never thought I'd find the day when I actually looked forward to my running workout. Seriously, it feels great! So to anyone who's still ambivalent, or is worried, try it out!! If you need to repeat a week, repeat it. But hang in there!

Thanks@ Bviera and LovelySnugs!! The encouragement I get on MFP makes me keep going on this journey towards a healthy me!
  • Frankie_
    Frankie_ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Started week 4 today, was dreading the 5 minute runs but I actually quite enjoyed it! And beat my previous distances. Nearly hitting 3 mile!
  • dodier01
    dodier01 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So I did W2D2 today.. and it felt good. I was a little tired towards the middle part but got some extra energy at the end. I actually added a minute of running on the last run for a total of 150 seconds straight (instead of the 90 seconds). For a 236lbs girl that never thought she could run for more then 30 seconds straight that is awesome!

Now I just cant wait until my next run!

I am leaving tomorrow for a buisness trip and only coming back on Friday.. I am so hoping that there`s a gym at the hotel.. if not I may actually attempt to run outside for the first time since I`ve been doing the treadmill up to now.. I would of never thought I would actually be looking forward to my next run.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    I did the Week 2 workout today! Was easy-peasy except for my outer calf being super tight. Extra stretching for me today!

I'm really pleased with how it's going... other than tight muscles I'm able to run really well. I have exercise-induced asthma, but my lungs have had no problems with these running workouts. Awesome!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I did the Week 2 workout today! Was easy-peasy except for my outer calf being super tight. Extra stretching for me today!

I'm really pleased with how it's going... other than tight muscles I'm able to run really well. I have exercise-induced asthma, but my lungs have had no problems with these running workouts. Awesome!

My calves were also getting tight during my run. I found if I get on a step and lower and raise my heals to really stretch my calves before starting, picking my heals up higher during my jog, and constantly remind myself to relax the tighteness completely went away during my run yesterday. Maybe this will help you also.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Thanks much for the support and encouragement. I started on Sunday 4/10 and also ran today. I'm working with a weight loss physician and she wants to see me doing cardio 5 days a week. I'm thinking of 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off...and then up to the next week/level. I'm one of those people who NEVER ran unless being chased by rabid dog or something like that. At 202 lbs, I'm in total shock that I've just run TWO DAYS IN A ROW!!!! This is AMAZING! Given what an additictive personality I have when it comes to food, I'm hoping I'll find running to be just as addictive. I'd love to be downloading the app for Bridge to 10K in a two months. I have no doubt that everyone 'local' who knows me will be in total shock, and I love it!!!!

Best of luck to everyone in your efforts....so glad I found this thread, and if anyone else is right near the same spot as me or has the same story, please friend me...I'd love some friends to push through this thing with!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I completed W5 D1 today and am very proud of my 3, 5 min "runs". Wednesday looks like 2, 8 min runs and then Friday...OMG! 20 minutes straight. Say what!?! I can do this, I can do this, I can do this...
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I plan to do W2D1 tomorrow and I am super excited. I really love this program and the podcasts make it so much easier for me to follow it.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    just did w2d1. rocked it, except for the last one cuz my HRM was acting up. but i'm totally confident that i can handle days 2 and 3 with few or no problems. i'm looking forward to seeing what i can do with my speeds by the end of the week!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I completed W5 D1 today and am very proud of my 3, 5 min "runs". Wednesday looks like 2, 8 min runs and then Friday...OMG! 20 minutes straight. Say what!?! I can do this, I can do this, I can do this...

You can do it. I was like that with the 20 minute run - really its fine once you get going :smile:
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    W7 D2 done - I had a 2 day gap which is the first time I've done that since week 1 so was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to run the whole 25 mins. As always though the podcasts keep you motivated throughout.
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    SO HAPPY I found this! I did Day 1 just to see how I could handle it... I could really use some encouragement from somebody on my same level, so this is great :)
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Looks like everybody's doing AWESOME!!

Did week 2, day 2 today. Calves still tight but better thanks to tons of STRETCHING!! I'm also getting better at reining my pace in in the beginning so I can be consistent throughout the run.

I don't know if any of you are using your podcasts in tandem with the Nike+ GPS app, but if you do, pay attention! I have it set to give me mileage, pace and time updates every so often, and I missed a run to walk transition while the dude in my app was talking. I ran for almost the entire walk break before I figured out what was going on! LOL! Was rather impressed with myself, actually. It wasn't that bad!

I do LOVE the Nike+ GPS, though. Especially when it tells me I did better/went faster/ran farther etc. Kinda dumb, it's just a recording, but I need that kind of reminder!
  • JoAnnLeahMurphy
    Options
    Here is a break down of the program (I just googled it for myself the other day and made a word document for myself.

Week one - three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery.

1. Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week Two- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week Three- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then do two repetitions of the following:

Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
    2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then do two repetitions of the following:

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then do two repetitions of the following:

Week Four- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then:

Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
    2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then:

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then:

Week Five- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)

Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
    Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

3..Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.

Week six - three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
    Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 25 minutes) with no walking.

Week seven- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

Week eight- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).

2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).

3.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).

Week nine- three days a week. Leave a day or so in between for recovery

1.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

2.Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

3.T

he final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did W2D2 last night. I'm doing it with my 7 year old and for one reason or another, it's been a week since we last went out, but we're back on it, and it was ok, especially considering we hadn't done it for a week. Back out again tomorrow, weather permitting.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    W1D3 completed - YEAH! I'm planning to do 2 more of the W1's on Thurs & Friday. I'll take Saturday off and then attempt W2 on Sunday. I'm not finding the running feels any 'easier' yet, so I'm hoping the jump to a longer run next week will be doable for me. My daughter went with me for the last 2 runs (19 years old) and it's nice to have the company, spend time together, and know my efforts are getting her off the couch, too!