4 MPH= Jogging or Power Walking

Options
I just got a new treadmill... when I push it up to 4mph I have to do a jog to keep up. Yet this website describes 4mph as a "brisk walk"

I'm 5 feet, 5 inc inches... and I want to start the c25k but I'm not sure if I cshould consider my 4mph as a "jog"

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Larry1369
    Larry1369 Posts: 59
    Options
    Whatever you pace is, you go by what you can starting out. Can you run faster than 4mph without getting your heart rate too high?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's walking for me. A slow jog for me is a 12 minute mile (5 MPH) and that's really slow.

I'm 5'6 if it matters.
  • binderangie
    Options
    so glad you asked this question. I am doing the c25k and was wondering the same thing too.:smile:
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    4mph for me is a slow jog also (i am 5'2")
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 2 of the C25k, and for me about 4.5 is a comfortable jogging pace. My first day I started at 4.0, even though I *can* do a quick walk at that pace, it's not a comfortable, sustainable level for me personally for walking. I walk in between at about 3.5 (or 3 if i'm really tired!) and hope to increase my jogging speed as I go along.

Good luck!
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    At 5'10" 4mph is exactly a brisk walk for me. I can jog at the rate, but it feels awkward.

For your height I'd imagine it to be a slower jog. If I were you I'd document it in which ever way feels right. They will be similar in calories burned (at that speed) anyway.

-Rain
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    4.0 mi/hr is a walk for me. 4.5 mi/hr is pushing it.

I'm 5' 3.75"... but I come from a very tall family. You learn to walk fast to keep up. :bigsmile:
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    When I first got my treadmill, I had to "jog" to keep up with the 4 mph. Now, it's nothing. I am 5'5" and 159 lbs. Maybe my legs got stronger? I really have no idea why, but it's different now!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    when i start my run 4.0 is a slow jog for me. but when i'm finishing and cooling down, 4.0 is super slow for me. i think it might have to do with your muscles being warmed up...i'm 4'11" and feel like i have to take twice as many steps to keep up with the rest of the world!! :D
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I can walk at 4.0 but it's not a comfortable walking speed, I prefer 3.8. That's why I love my HRM. If you log 4.0 brisk walk, it won't take into account that your HR is up from actually jogging at that point. For me at 5'2.5", I jog comfortable around 4.3-4.5, which taller people can walk at. I'm in an all out run at 5.0 mph and I can run a mile at that pace but if I pick up the speed to 6.0, I'm practically sprinting. 5.5 mph is the highest I can really run comfortably (i did 5 minutes at that speed).
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    For me, 4.0 mph is a fairly brisk walk. I do walk a lot on a daily basis because I live in a big city and I hate spending money on public transportation. I have always had a fast walk, which I think matters. If you walk slow on a regular basis, I can see how 4 mph would be fast. I think over time if you push yourself, you can see that 4.0 mph is a brisk walk rather than a slow jog.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to use my treadmill again and 4.0 is jogging for me. I'm 5'7".
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Sorry -- posted twice.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of c25k and do my jogs at 4.5-4.8.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my two cents in...I can walk fast at 4.0, but I am also 5'9. It think it makes a difference....I try to go up to 5.5 with running every 5 minutes. I can't keep up the run for very long, but I think I am going to try running at a slower pace and see if I can run for a longer period of time. If I try running every 5 minutes, I get my heart rate up pretty good, and then return to walking at 3.7 to 4.0. Good Luck!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    5'2 here....4.0mph is power walking for me
  • crissi66
    crissi66 Posts: 98
    Options
    4 is a brisk walk for me. but at 4.3 im jogging. I really perfer 3.5 at a 8-9 incline over jogging. Im 5'4 and have short nubbi legs :)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    4.2 is a comfortable brisk walk for me OUTSIDE...

on the treadmill 4.2 feels like a slow jog.

3.7 on the treadmill is a brisk walk ...

Weird but true...
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    4.0 is a comfortable walking pace for me, when I really want to push it I walk at 4.5 which I would consider a "very brisk walk". Jogging for me is over 4.5 since I can't really keep up walking faster than that. I'm 5'7".
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it as much height as it is stride length and your own body. I completed the c25k and the highest speed I got up to comfortably was 4.4. I did 5 and I felt like I was sprinting. My mom is shorter than me and she has to run at a faster pace for it to work for her.

Do what you can and as you progress you may pick up speed.