thoughts on 100 calorie snacks???

Options
I was shopping at Walmart yesterday and came across many yummy looking 100 calorie snacks. I am a sweet lover and wonder if it is harmful for me to fit one of these snacks such as the oreo ice creams, or fudge dipped bars (only 100 cals!!) into what I eat daily?

I enter them into my diary and do not go over?
What is your opinion ?

Replies

• robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No potential benefit, but can be used to help from over indulgeing in sweets in general. I would not use it solely for your mid meal snacks.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweet-a-holic (which is probably why I ended up weighing over 200lbs...). I was raised in a home where dessert was part of the dinner time routine. I admit that getting my sweet tooth under control has been a struggle. That being said, I allow myself to eat the 100 calorie packs. I make sure I get ones with the lowest sugar and no high fructose corn syrup. I let myself have 1 package of them a day and I journal it. I give up something else in order to have room for them in my life. :)
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this, too, seeing I just bought some! LOL!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I tend to try to not eat anything in a package... but than again I'm the one who weasel's in alcohol room. :D
  • cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Breanna,

There is really no issue with doing that as long as you understand that they are empty calories with no nutrition for you.
    But if you have a sweet tooth like alot of people do it is not a lot of calories to give up.
    Just remember that if you eat a lot of calories with no nutrition you will find yourself hungry at the end of the day even though you ate all your calories..
    Hope that helps.
  • cfmusgrove
    cfmusgrove Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They are yummy, but not filling...but good for a craving.. if you are really hungry though, go for fruit or something to get more quantity of food for the same amount of calories.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I say if you have control of yourself, go for it! I have to not buy them because I end up eating four packs! ;o)
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I find them annoying if I crave a cupcake Or something like that I just get the real thing the 100 calories packs are like a gateway drug for me lol
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    They are obviously not HEALTHY for you, but it's the perfect little 100 calorie treat! I use them for chocolate cravings, like the little chocolate covered pretzels!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    They are a bit pricey for what you're getting. I'd suggest finding a treat you like and using small baggies and a kitchen scale to make your own 100 calorie packs.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Tried them once an HAD to eat more than one pack.
    That was the end of that.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think that 100 calorie packs are perfectly fine as long as they fit in your calorie goal. Even a candy bar is fine (210 calories) as long as it fits in your goals. That being said... You're about to get to A LOT of answers telling you to eat more fruit and veggies and lean meats instead of packaged foods. I know when I want chocolate though, a banana just isn't going to cut it (unless that banana is covered in chocolate though, lol... which I've done... several times.) I'm not advocating eating only crap though; just saying that you WILL lose weight with a calorie deficit no matter what you spend those calories on. I like to think of my calories like money in a bank. I have this many calories for a day, and I can spend them on whatever I like, but once they're gone, they're gone! I know that eating my entire days worth of calories in candy and chips isn't going to fill me up; that's why I incorporate my fruits and veggies and grains and whatnot.

The only thing more I have to say is: are those little packs worth it? I'm always disappointed at how little is in one. :(
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Empty, processed calories. I'd rather have a single, rich, delicious Godiva truffle for the same amount of calories if it's sweets you crave!
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I tried with those and bombed. Eating just one is REALLY hard. If you can do it, I say go for whatever treats you like in moderation.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Empty, processed calories. I'd rather have a single, rich, delicious Godiva truffle for the same amount of calories if it's sweets you crave!

I agree. With the few calories you get to eat, better to use them for something more nutritionally dense - and that incl. dark chocolate. That's my go to now. And healthy (non sugared/no syrup added) trail mix (just nuts and berries). Your body will thank you!
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I think they are a WASTE of time, energy and money....

Most folks I know dont eat just 1 pkg anyway....

finding low sugar, low fat snacks are a pet peeve of mine.... THIS IS MY OPINION for example:

I would rather meet a weekly goal & treat myself to ONE 500 calorie brownie than to eat five 100 calorie brownies in a week.... it seems that by eating 5, you aren't really changing any measurable habits and are just pacifying yourself into thinking you are eating healthy
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont really know what 100cal snacks are specifically, I'm a Brit. But I have a sweet tooth and snack, so............

I eat a well balanced breakfast, lunch and dinner - lean meats, veggies, fruits, yogurt = nutrition!!!

But every day I have a weight watchers 90cal snack (cake or biscuit) and after dinner I have a block of ice cream - 90 cals.

If I gave up sweet things I would go crazy and eventually cave.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    when i was losing weight the first time round(gained it all back having babies) i made sure to include a sweet treat into my calorie limits...it worked as i never binged and it kept me focused on keeping within my goals so i could have my 'treat'

definitely do it if you have enough calories free!
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Like a few other people said, I couldn't ever stop myself with just one, it wasn't enough. lol I do make sure that I save some of my daily calories for a little bit of sweets though because otherwise I would start binge eating on sweets and that is not good!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm in two minds about things like this.....

On one hand, if you account for the calories it shouldn't do you much harm. There's not going to be any nutritional value in those packs but if you enjoy it, then OK.

On the other hand, I worry that continuing to eat sweet nothings (literally) is just sustaining the bad habits that got me to this weight, and will make it harder to learn good eating patterns for the longer term.

My decision has been to eat the odd packaged snack (like Special K bars with chocolate) or a small "real" treat (like 1 or 2 Dove promises choccies) or a real cake (vanilla slice is not too bad at just over 200 cals) but to aim for fruit, nuts, cheese and crackers as my regular snacks. I have a history of binging on sweets so this is a habit that I really want to change.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide whether this is a positive move forward in your healthy lifestyle journey.
    Good luck!