ASPARTAME ----IS IT REALLY BAD FOR YOU ??

Options
HELLO I HAE BEEN TOLD THAT ASPARTAME IS OK FR YOU AND THEN TOLD IT IS NOT...IM CONFUSED...WHATS THE REAL DEAL???

Replies

• uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    its goes either way depending on which article you read. I personally can not have it because it triggers migraine headaches and other medical problems. i would use caution and the same everything in moderation theory when consuming products which contain aspartame.
  • fehrdad
    fehrdad Posts: 3
    Options
    From Wikipedia:
    "The artificial sweetener aspartame has been the subject of several controversies since its initial approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1974. The FDA approval of aspartame was highly contested,[1] with critics alleging that the quality of the initial research supporting its safety was inadequate and flawed and that conflicts of interest marred the approval of aspartame.[2][3][4] In 1987, the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that the food additive approval process had been followed properly for aspartame.[2][5] In spite of this, critics like anti-aspartame activist Betty Martini have promoted undocumented claims that numerous health risks (such as multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, methanol toxicity, blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects and death[6]) are associated with the consumption of aspartame in normal doses. These health risk claims have been examined and debunked by numerous scientific research projects, and are also generally dismissed by governments and major health and food safety organizations.[2][7][8]"

"Publicity of this controversy has been spread through an elaborate health scare[9] and "internet smear campaign"[10] involving hoax[9][11][10] e-mails repeating Betty Martini's widely circulated conspiracy theory. Her undocumented claims are still repeated by thousands of self-published websites."

"Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide,[12][13] with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut".[4] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe as a non-nutritive sweetener."

I hope it is not because it is my BEST friend!!
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I heard so many different things (good and bad) about sweeteners. But my belly always gets bloated, when I eat sweeteners. The only thing, I can eat is Sweet Leaf. I guess, everybody digests that stuff different.
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My neurologist told me not to worry about aspartame because tomatoes have more aspartame in them than a diet coke. This is when we were trying to figure out my migraines. She said they've ruled aspartame out as a cause for migraines and many other things, too.

So, I'm sticking with my diet coke. There are worse things in the world, and I trusted my neurologist - one of the few doctors I've met with that actually seemed to know what she was talking about.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    depends who who ask

as for me, you'll have to pry the Diet Mtn Dew can from my cold, dead hands...

(and easy on the all caps thing)
  • Saoirse80
    Options
    Aspartame is bad for you. There are many articles out there on the subject. Stevia is an herb that is a healthy alternative for sweetener.

Here are a couple of websites to read through (the second is from Dr. Joseph Mercola's site - he is an excellent health information resource):

http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_aspartame.htm

http://aspartame.mercola.com/
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I can't see it being good for you - it's a un-natural, man-made chemical.

I completely cut it out and started to use splenda - which I am now thinking isn't good either. I am moving to Agave Syrup - all natural.
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I don't care for the taste but will use it if I'm out of stevia (sp?)
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES YES YES
    It is very bad for you- PERIOD. It causes CANCER and other irrevesable health issues. It will most likely cause headaches right off the bat too. No Good at all-
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    uh, Splenda really makes me sick.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Aspartame contains methanol. That for me is a good enough reason to believe it is bad.

"METHANOL (AKA WOOD ALCOHOL/POISON) (10% OF ASPARTAME) Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. People may recall that methanol was the poison that has caused some "skid row" alcoholics to end up blind or dead".

"Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits, is a chemical with formula CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH). It is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable, liquid with a distinctive odor that is very similar to but slightly sweeter than ethanol (drinking alcohol).[4] At room temperature it is a polar liquid and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction".
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I can chew on some sugar cane.

or

I can pop some chemicals in my soda and magically make it calorie free!!

I like the idea of sugar cane much, much better.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES YES YES
    It is very bad for you- PERIOD. It causes CANCER and other irrevesable health issues. It will most likely cause headaches right off the bat too. No Good at all-

Doesn't everything these days cause cancer?

Everything in moderation is my motto.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In all my nutritional training it's like flipping a coin... if your looking to consume less CALORIES and just can't kick the sweets but need to lose X amount of weight, then yes the artificial sweetener is going to be the best way to go.. if you're looking at an over all health perspective artificial sweeteners tend to contribute greatly to water retention, which can lead to other health issues.. not to mention weight loss will be very very slow.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can't see it being good for you - it's a un-natural, man-made chemical.

I completely cut it out and started to use splenda - which I am now thinking isn't good either. I am moving to Agave Syrup - all natural.

I used to use Splenda also. Then I did some reading and found out that it is just as bad as the other artificial sweeteners. It contains chlorine. Yuck! Thank goodness for agave syrup. Tastes good and is safe! Also another good choice is maple sugar. It's crystalized maple syrup. I haven't tried it yet because it is pretty spendy, but I think I will in the near future.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    True story about Aspartame. My mom, when she was 35 yrs old had consumed only Nutrasweet (which is aspartame) in her tea, cereal, etc. because it was the big diet-sugar replacement back in 1990, started having memory loss issues, to the point of not knowing where her keys were (in her hand) and talking to her purse like it was one of us kids. Not to mention she couldn't remember which of our names went to which face. Scary when you're 5 yrs old and your mom can't remember who you are. She had developed Alzheimer's at 35 years old. Her doctor told her to stop the N.S., even chewing gum which contained it. And within ONE month, she was back to normal. it had started to mess with the chemicals in her BRAIN. I don't know about you, but something that is nothing but a manmade chemical shouldn't go into my body. After seeing how it almost killed my mom's brain I try to avoid it like death itself.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, people just want to b*tch about stuff and blame it for everything under the sun.

I've used it all my life and would have never been able to lose 70 pounds without it.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I studied this extensively in school, and at the end of my research, I do not believe that Aspartame is safe. Just becuase something doesn't cause immediate death does not mean its appropriate to eat/drink. However it is approved by the American FDA and Health Canada (where I live), which is why there is so much confusion.

I believe people need to research on their own and advocate for their own health. Not everything approved is "safe" which we can see by the amount of things that get pulled off shelves after class action lawsuits.

BTW: Tomatoes do not contain Aspartame. Aspartame is a synthetic man-made product. Tomatoes contain Methanol, which is also found in Aspartame. The main difference is that tomatos also have a natural antidote called lycopene, which protects you from the toxic effects of methanol. Aspartame does not have that.

Here's a link for some good information, but you will find much better research if you visit university libraries.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Aspartame
  • beastlye
    beastlye Posts: 37
    Options
    Similar to what drog2323 said, the natural, additive-free stuff is logically what we should tend toward. It makes perfect sense, right? However, it is extremely difficult to implement a lasting behavior change (kicking the aspartame/splenda habit, if you will). I know how bad I feel after consuming diet drinks and how my sugar cravings skyrocket afterward...and yet I still drink them from time to time. I think we get a little too obsessed with calorie counts sometimes instead of thinking about wellness as a whole.

I think the phrase "there's no such thing as a free lunch" works well here, but think of it in terms of a free soda. It isn't water and is surely having some series of chemical reactions after you consume it.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES YES YES

Doesn't everything these days cause cancer?

Everything in moderation is my motto.

My thought exactly. EVERYTHING causes cancer nowadays. Mouthwash, deodorant, pringles, facebook, talcum powder, cell phones, red meat, tooth whitener, hair dye, soup. Just enjoy your aspartame. :)