Best tip from You, success stories!

Options
danipals
danipals Posts: 143 Member
I love reading the success stories and am wondering what the "right" way is! I realize that it is different for everyone but am curious if most of the people who are losing consistently are following the MFP way and eating exercise calories or just sticking to a certain number each day regardless of your exercise that day. I have no problem sticking to my plan each week and consider my diet pretty clean (except the cookie yesterday and today which I did count!) but have difficulty on the weekends if we go out of town. (I am afraid that any progress I make during the week I blow on the weekend.)

I'm really trying to decide if I'm eating too much or too little on my average day! Thanks for sharing your success!

D.
37 yrs old
157 lbs.
5'6"

Replies

• pj05
    pj05 Posts: 18
    Options
    That is a good question. I just started yesterday and would like to know too! I feel like it's giving me too many calories but I don't know.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Great question, I'm curious to see the replies! Thanks for the post.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh, OK, my story!

I started at the beginning of December. Knew I had a wedding to go to in May and felt I could lose "a few pounds". When I weighed myself, I was horrified that I was 11 stone 5 (159 lbs). I set myself a target of a "toned ten stone" (140 lbs) by end April. At 5'2", this would still be above the dreaded recommended 25 bmi , but it would be a good position to reassess from.

My strategy was to halve the carbs I normally ate, and continue going to the gym, but focus on strength training, lift heavier. And I joined MFP to keep an eye on my overall nutritional intake. I wasn't initially setting out to count calories, but I fell into the habit and as I love graphs and charts I enjoy recording my food diary each day!

3 months in I sent a "thank you" message to my gym instructor after I'd lost the first stone, recognising how important the serious strength training had been in my progress.

I don't stress too much about eating back all my exercise calories, but I do make sure my GROSS cals (ie before adjusting for exercise) are at least 1200 per day.

Top tips?

1. Keep your carbs in check, but don't cut them out altogether.
    2. Strength train! As heavy as you can go.
    3. Loads of water.
    4. Sneak in extra exercise when you can - take the stairs, walk further in the car park.
    5. Recognise this is a long journey and keep the faith.
    6. It's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so don't lose any sleep over a missed gym session.
    7. There's no "right" way, so experiment with what works for you. See 5 above.

Today, half way through April, I weigh 138 lbs (9stone 12) and have dropped 2 dress sizes. My fiance has remarked that we're eating better than we ever have, I don't feel bored of my food intake, and I haven't had to drastically reduce my alcohol intake. Yeah I still have bad habits!
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    Accountabilty if I hold myself accountable in some way then I have to stick to it! I do this by telling my closest friends my future plans
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1) strength training and overall fitness - exercise makes you feel goood. Since you already feel good you don't need food to fill that hole in your life. And strength training, with heavy weights and low reps, is amazing and very empowering.

2) don't be afraid to change it up - if something's not working, don't stubbornly continue on the path -see if mixing it up will help (eg. New exercise routine, higher intake, more sleep, etc.)

3) set yourself some goals of the non-scale variety - eg. Run a 5k in 20mins (mine!) or something like always being under on sugar. You'll be amazed how quickly these things can reflect on the scale and the measuring tape.

Good luck!!
  • KiDoJo88
    KiDoJo88 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've learned in the ninety pounds I've lost that a lot of it is trial and error.
    However, there seems to be a pattern in successful weight loss across the board: Higher protein, lower carb (no crappy carbs), lots of water, and increase your activity. That's what worked for me, and continues to work! Eat only when you're hungry, stop a few bites before you feel full. Stay away from all sodas (including diet; I lost ten pounds in a week after stopping "diet" soda). Find healthy foods and activity you love.
    A big one: Don't weigh yourself everyday! I personally think once every other week is great, but that's just me. Either way, the scale is only a small indicator of your progress. Hope all that is somewhat helpful :)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Accountabilty if I hold myself accountable in some way then I have to stick to it! I do this by telling my closest friends my future plans

i agree with this.

tell someone you know will be supportive about what you're going to do. Someone that will ask about your progress and just keep you in check if need be.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! TOSHIETTE hit the nail on the head for me I think....I am stubbornly going down a path that isn't working. I will for two weeks try the eating back the calories and see what happens. I've tried going lower and that didn't help. I'm happy with my exercise routine of lifting heavy weights 2x/week, 45 min of cardio 3x/ week and working with a trainer at the gym 1x/week on a TRX system.

thanks for the input!

Danielle
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!