Cake topping ideas?

Options
jalara
jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a cake topping idea that isn't icing or strawberries. Also - something that doesn't have flour in it (I'm Gluten Free).

Thanks in advance!

ETA: It's a white cake :)

Replies

• elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    whipped cream/cool whip
  • leksandra
    leksandra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    maybe whipped cream made from egg whites, also doesn't have a lot of calories..
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    whipped cream or cool whip mixed with a box of instant pudding - any flavor - turns into a very nice frosting.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Non-fat cream cheese with some honey mixed in. It's pretty good.
  • sarahlyon328
    Options
    Lemon curd mixed with sour cream makes a good glaze.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    depending on what kind of cake it is, i'm sure there are other fruits that would go well on top along with some fat free cool whip =).
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do a similar one to the above posts - a container of light cool whip and a package of lemon pie filling (you make the filling as you would to make a pie), mix it all together and chill! It's amazing on angel food cake! AND a quarter cup of the topping only has about 70 calories (I love the recipe feature on this site!!) - so for one serving of Angel Food Cake and topping it's only 210 calories!!!! AMAZING!!!!!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Cover the top with walnut halves, lightly dust with sugar. If it's a chocolate cake, then sprinkle with chocolate chips. If it's a yellow cake, you can sprinkle with either chocolate or butterscotch.

the cake recipe i have that goes with that is to use the cake mix (chocolate or yellow), mix the cake mix with 2 eggs and one can of already prepared pudding (chocolate or butterscotch)..then bake according to directions. It makes a very moist cake. Then top with the walnuts and the appropriate chips. Yummmm
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    Cool whip and mandarine oranges! One of my favorites!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Pastry Pride..It taste just like cool whip but you can have it out on your counter without it melting. As long as you have a good blender so you can whip it. I use my kitchen Aid and have it whip for about 3-4 minutes to get the right consistency. Or what about making a glaze? Or just add different fruit and sprinkle it with some powdered sugar!
  • heathernsugar
    Options
    Why not cool whip and peaches or mandarian oranges??

:flowerforyou:
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Nutella? Gluten-free and has 3 grams of protein per serving. ;)
  • laneyb356
    laneyb356 Posts: 25
    Options
    I like to mix 1 small box sugar-free vanilla instant pudding with 1 can crushed pineapple & juice. Next add a 12 oz. container Cool Whip (I use the sugar free one). That's it. From there you can add nuts, coconut, and garnish with mandarin oranges. I also take this and my 1/2 C. in a bowl and cut an orange up on top with toasted pecans. Also good with blueberries as garnish. :-)
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies - I pureed a small orange and added a dollop of reduced calories Cool Whip - it was great!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How about honey or agave nectar?