Fast Food Help!

Options
I work 5 days a week and there's only 2 of us in the office. We order out for lunch each day because we eat while we work. I had been doing really well with my choices but I'm getting tired of the same old stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions of healthy choices in the normal fast food chains? Or how to stop craving the bad stuff?? Cause the more cheese it has...the more I seem to like it. Not so good.

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I would stop ordering out and start bringing your lunch and snacks! Fast food is the devil!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree, bringing your lunch is best, but if you insist on ordering, there are some good salads from Wendys or McDonalds.
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes not too long ago. I was ordering out a lot because the job I work in I can't leave for lunch. So I pretty much have to eat while I'm working, lol. But honestly, the best thing I started doing was bringing my own lunches and snacks to work. It's easier to stay on track that way, at least for me.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I like the grilled chicken wraps that Wendy's and McDonald's offer. I also eat a small Wendy's chili and 1/2 sized pecan chicken salad (without bleu cheese). Subway is good if you watch the add-ons. I tend to double the meat and get a six inch sub (I am trying to eat more protein). KFC's grilled chicken isn't too bad and their sides aren't bad if you avoid the mashed potatoes and/or wedges. Chick-Fil-A's eight piece chicken nuggets is one of the more healthy nugget choices out there. They have a great chicken noodle soup as well as a fruit cup as a side option. Those are the places I tend to roost, but I try to avoid eating out altogether...

Good luck...
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I started pre-packing lunches too. Soooo much sodium in fast food not to mention theres almost nothing that tastes really really good thats moderatly healthy for you! :( Ive done mcdonalds only 2 or 3 times in the last 5 months. I do a happy meal cheeseburger!
  • MissNicholas
    Options
    I would stop ordering out and start bringing your lunch and snacks! Fast food is the devil!

Agreed. Kick the fast food habit
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Health & nutrition issues aside, you'll be amazed at how much money you'll save if you start brown bagging your lunches.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, salads with grilled chicken are usually a healthy choice - but watch the dressing that comes with it! I like Wendy's chicken and apple salad. Subway can have some healthy choices (avoid cheese and sauces) - but - WATCH THE SODIUM.

Also, with the grilled fast food chicken - careful - usually it is high in sodium also.

Best thing - take your lunch as another suggested. It is not that much effort to pack a banana and some almond butter on wheat bread - no refrigeration required. If you don't have a fridge - invest in a mini fridge - then you could take stuff like yogurt, salad from home, healthy left overs from the previous night's dinner. Bell pepper strips and hummus (yum, yum, yum!)

I also will sometimes take protein bars for lunch. I pack my lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY without fail. It's easy, healthy, and saves money!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i actually put together a little website for my own use where i've gone thru the nutritional information on all the restaurants that i go to (fast food joints too) and pulled out the best choices. you're more than welcome to take a look (as long as you don't laugh). it might give you some ideas...

https://sites.google.com/site/foodieaze/
  • arush22
    arush22 Posts: 11
    Options
    If I have to eat fast food, I try and opt for things like a Fruit and Maple Oatmeal from McDonalds or a small, plain hamburger/a side salad. It is hard but I try and resist the huge sandwiches and french fries.
  • pmarti5
    pmarti5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i always take my lunch. i work on a college campus with a chick-fila and other fast food options, lots of temptations and co-workers wanting me to walk over for lunch. i often walk with them but i don't eat the foods, i eat at my desk before or after. i do treat myself once in a while to a taco on the weekend, but i order the crunchy taco with no meat! after a while u will get used to the routine of bringing your lunch and eating healthier and maybe your co-workers will join in!
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    I agree. Not only will packing your lunch save you calories and God-only-knows how many preservatives and sodium, you'll save money, too. Then you will have more for the cute clothes you'll need when you meet your goals. :wink:
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but...Taco bell Fresco menu...Wendys grilled chicken sandwich (I toss half of the bun)....Wendys chili or a single order of nuggets....Arbys jr roast beef or ham and cheese (toss half of the bun) Jack In The Box Hamburger deluxe with no mayo (any fast food sandwich with no mayo is a better option)....but its better to not eat fast at all obviously. And I never get the salads, between the dressing and option to put breaded chicken in it I find them totally not healthy or worth it. I also refuse to drink anything but water from fast food places.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My colleague and I take turns bringing lunch. We are both committed to healthy eating and knowing that you are making food for someone else almost forces you to make a better effort.

It's kind of fun.
  • RedsoxFan88
    RedsoxFan88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bring a lunch and snacks to work everyday. I don't have a fridge so I pack a small cooler. I freeze a bottle of water which keeps everything cold and then I have a cold drink later in the afternoon. I do like Subway...I will have the ham salad with the lite Italian dressing.
    Good Luck!
  • stephijim
    stephijim Posts: 33
    Options
    This is a fantastic website!! Thanks for sharing! I like that everything is in one place and I don't have to go to all their individual websites :)
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others take your lunch. You can buy ice packs and that will keep cold things cold. I take a frozen meal and yogurt, string cheese for snacks or laughing cow cheese and crackers. Fruits are always a good bet, bananas, apples oranges. But if you have to eat out subway is the best bet. I also get the grilled chicken from McDonalds and tell them to hold the mayo and the side salad with the fat free Italian...very low calorie. But you have to watch the sodium, that is gonna be high. I love the tacos from taco bell the fresco ones...very tasty and only 150 calories per taco. You can eat out but honestly its just easier to bring your own lunch. Invest in a lunch box and the ice packs and you can bring anything you want except frozen things, unless you have a fridge at your disposal. Best of luck on your weight loss journey. You can do it!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    Be sure and watch out when ordering fast food as well: they pump literally millions of dollars into convincing you that they have healthy options, when in fact they sometimes are just as bad or even worse than a typical fast food meal! There was an article in Newsweek a few months ago about how a chicken salad at McDonalds has roughly the same health value (calories, fat, etc.) as one of their burgers. It's great to start making a transition to healthier food! Just make sure and check out their menus! :)
  • DJ2NYCE
    DJ2NYCE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    by DJ2NYCE
    What the hell is fast food...this post is foolish...i mean really...Healthy fast food...I had to say it like that because either your serious about gettin in shape or your not...Good luck!!

Well, that's not very nice. Everyone takes a different path to get to their goal, so to call her question foolish is rather rude. If you have nothing constructive to add, then why post anything at all?

To the OP, its great to want to find healthier options. Just do your research before you believe the packaging at some of those places. But, I agree with the others, packing your lunch is the way to go. Its healthier and a lot less expensive!