Ladies!!

Options
So i know this is like personal kind of, but not really..

Since its that time of the month for me it kind of sucks right now.. I really wanna work out but cramps are bothersome and i don't like to eat that much..

I was wondering what exercise you ladies do to keep making progress and feeling better during this horrible time during every month >.<

~Christina~

Replies

• ericaolsen
    Options
    Try eating a banana prior to your workout. They're supposed to work for cramps and are also recommended for runners as well :)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I take some Aleve, and drink 8 oz of water about 20-30 minutes before working out. Some people don't like to do high impact cardio on their heavy days, and if that is you I'd replace it with going for a walk or doing something low impact like Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home.
  • ness8484
    ness8484 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated soy milk into my diet, and have read that edamame and soy help to alleviate lessen symptoms during that time of the month. It has helped to lessen my symptoms.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I drink more water than usual (I'm at 12cups a day now, so more water is hard to do.. but I do it!)
    I make sure to get PLENTY of sleep.
    I do everything else the same as any other day. Exercise routine same intensity, same circuit. Foods usually the same, I do indulge a craving here or there (the chocolate really does kick in for me)

I found that for me, cramps happen, and I punch them in the face with a workout, and they are quiet the rest of the time. :)
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i usually just go for walks instead of doing high impact workouts.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds horrible, but I say forget it and don't bother with working our when it is time for my cycle. I just try surviving one thing at a time lol.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    And on my 2 heavy days I take a brisk walk and do more strength training. The high intensity cardio is too much for me.
  • BronzeLady
    Options
    I do crunches. The burn of the crunches for some reason cancels out the burn of the cramps. Funny because I don't do crunches at any other time of the month.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have to really force myself, but I do my normal workouts, because although it takes more effort, I feel soooo much better afterwards.

GG
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I just go for a lot of walks, if I take too many days off from working out I quit completely.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Ugh I was gonna ask this same thing! My legs get really sore I don't get stomach cramps just get super tires and my legs ache so so Sooooo bad it kills me to just take a short walk to the school to get my daughter!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    i usually just go for walks instead of doing high impact workouts

Ditto. If you have access to a gym, elliptical trainers and adaptive motion trainers provide fantastic burns and are still low intensity.

And strybryt, never use menstruation as an excuse to not exercise. If it's that bad, see a doctor. There was a time when humans had to be active while dealing with TOM, pregnancy, and other trials without the benefit of pads and tampons or air conditioning. We can deal.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen really helps me with cramps. Alot of water to help flush out the unfun bloating. Sometimes a hot washcloth on my abdomen or a warm bath helps my tummy relax.

Once I'm not cramping - I work out!!!
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    The best medicine I have found for cramps is Excedrin PMS. I take that, drink a lot of water and do very low impact exercise.....like walking or stepping on the wii fit
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    So i know this is like personal kind of, but not really..

Since its that time of the month for me it kind of sucks right now.. I really wanna work out but cramps are bothersome and i don't like to eat that much..

I was wondering what exercise you ladies do to keep making progress and feeling better during this horrible time during every month >.<

~Christina~

If your regular about every 29 days and know when your cycle is gonna start, start taking Ibuprofen(if not allergic and no other conraindication) around the clock about 2 days prior to start of menses and for the first 2 days of your cycle. Ibuprofen helps decrease the production of prostoglandin which causes cramping. This is something I dont have to deal with, I havent had a cycle in about 2-3 years thanks to Mirena IUD :)