Another MFP member inspired me to post this....

Options
13»

Replies

• bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    There is an old "brain twister" type of puzzle
    "which weights more, a ton of rocks or a ton of feathers"

the answer is simple. a ton is a ton, theres just alot MORE feathers than rocks

Kinda the same theory

True, but no one argues that 1lb weighs more than 1lb, they argue that because muscle is more dense it weighs more. And it does and always will as long as gravity is around. the more dense something is the more it weighs, naturally.

That WAS the point I was making

ONLY BY VOLUME THOUGH. i think that is where people are confused.. because as you said. five lbs is five lbs.. like the brainteaser. what weighs more. 100 lbs of gold or 100 lbs of feathers.. either way its the same..
  • mjtmorr
    mjtmorr Posts: 75
    Options
    I think the great picture and the clarification along with it make it clear to anyone who may have been misinformed, although by volume muscle weighs more than fat. 5 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat weight the same, but the muscle comprises a smaller(less volume), healthier body.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Muscle most definitely weighs more than fat

1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat both weight 1lb.
    Muscle has a higher density.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    And, if you need an even better visual representation, there's this:

www.mypetfat.com
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's nice to get a visual of the weight of fat vs muscle. Muscle definitely looks so much better. Thanks for sharing!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    <<my biceps have grew 1/2 inch since january!!! wohooo!! it is more pretty to look at than my old fatness flab!!:bigsmile:
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    If I understand correctly what people try to say is that if you had the exact same size (meaning same length, with and thinckness) in muscle and fat you can guarantee muscle would weight more. I think that is what they are talking about not 5lbs of one and 5lbs of the other. JMO :smile:
    You are so right. I think most people understand what is meant when people say muscle weighs more. :laugh:
  • Elle129
    Elle129 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow, i LOVE that post!
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    For those of you who are confused about the topic of "muscle weighing MORE than fat"....

Muscle Does Not Weigh More Than Fat (five pounds is five pounds), but it is Much Nicer to Look at

fat.jpg

As you can see, the 5 lbs. of fat is much bulkier than the 5 lbs. of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Fat is bulky and lumpy so if you carry an extra five pounds of fat, you'll be lumpier than with five pounds more muscle. A five pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a five pound pile of muscle; but five pounds is still five pounds, so for those of you that don't "get" English, you cannot say one thing weighing a certain weight weighs more than another thing at that same weight. It's a common joke to play on an 8-year old. The correct way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

Stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle? Simply seeing how much you weigh isn't very helpful.

Are you serious? So deducing is not on the menu for you, huh? Like we all lived in a bubble...
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Are you serious? So deducing is not on the menu for you, huh? Like we all lived in a bubble...
    This was quite rude...
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    thankyou x
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There is an old "brain twister" type of puzzle
    "which weights more, a ton of rocks or a ton of feathers"

the answer is simple. a ton is a ton, theres just alot MORE feathers than rocks

Kinda the same theory

It's kinda the same theory - if you completely miss the point of the brain twister.