zumba

Options
what is zumba.. i have seen a lot of people talking about it and giving great reviews

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I always describe it as a dance/hip hop/salsa type exercise class. It's really awesome- by far my favorite workout! I love it!
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's a Latin infused aerobics class. It is SO much fun!! I went to my first class last night. Along with the more "normal" aerobics moves, we did moves from salsa, merengue, cumbia, belly dance, and ball room. It was fantastic! Look up some YouTube videos of classes. I bet you'll want to go do it!
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Its amazing thats what it is!!!
    best workout everr, its fun and doesnt seem like your exercising if you know what i mean!
  • caperchick
    Options
    You can also buy it in game form for the wii, xbox, and ps3. I have it for the wii and love it!!
  • Lstrode
    Lstrode Posts: 51
    Options
    http://www.zumba.com/us/

You can order DVDs for home, take local classes, and now they have Zumba for Wii, PS3, and I think XBOX....
    I'm getting it for Wii. Went to a local class, but was VERY crowded and hard to keep up. Was a heck of a workout, though!!!
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    thanks... maybe i will see if i can rent the game for the wii when i go to the video store tomorrow... sounds like something my 3 yr old would enjoy doing... she is always saying... no more yoga mommy, lets do something else
  • unworthyservant
    Options
    "Zumba Fitness® is the only Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, created by Grammy Award-winning producers, and contagious steps to form a "fitness-party" that is downright addictive." -according to their website

From what I have watched on youtube, it is latin dancing/aerobic exercise but it is more fun than just the exercise because you are actually doing dance moves to upbeat music. I had a lot of fun just trying it at home watching videos online, although it is hard to keep up. I don't know how many calories it burns, but I am sweating after 10 minutes!
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For all of you that have Wii Zumba, how do you record your exercise?
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a full body, dance/rhythmic workout designed to target nearly all muscle groups at once. It is fast paced and can be intense but is an EXCELLENT way of burning calories in a hurry! Take a moment to look it up on youtube to get a ton of examples. If you go to the top of this page and click the blue search button type in Zumba and you'll be amazed at all the information you find - Zumba is very popular on MFP and discussed very often!
  • AshleyBH21
    Options
    You can also burn 500-800 calories during 1 hour. It is a lot of fun. My college offered it for free once or twice a week, I went once because the class was packed and my class schedule conflicted with it.
  • HectorSr
    HectorSr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just started doing Zumba myself, and after getting past the whole I'm the only 39 year old man there, it's awesome, it's a whole body workout. I can't say enough good things about it. :smile:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    For all of you that have Wii Zumba, how do you record your exercise?

Under dance fast ballroom, unless you have a HRM.
  • crissa71
    crissa71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    HertorSr - I think it is awesome that you go to Zumba! I wish my husband would go just once so that he can see it is an intense all over body workout....Zumba is so fun I forget it is a workout!!
  • shannonhales
    Options
    I love Zumba. I try to go to a class about three times a week. I am about 5'2 and 113 pounds. I am a thirty year-old woman. :smile: I am just wondering if anyone with my similar build and age has done Zumba and been able to figure out how many calories they burn in an hour. I never know how much I burn! I'm sure I over eat based on what I burned.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I try to go to a class about three times a week. I am about 5'2 and 113 pounds. I am a thirty year-old woman. :smile: I am just wondering if anyone with my similar build and age has done Zumba and been able to figure out how many calories they burn in an hour. I never know how much I burn! I'm sure I over eat based on what I burned.

I claim 5' and range between 110-113lbs. I burn anywhere from 450-585 cals during one of my classes. I've had taller ladies say they've burned 700+. It all depends on how much effort you put into it. I teach it though, so I know all the moves (usually, lol). I typically put about 125% or more into it just to get the class pumped up. I've also been doing it for 2 years, so my body has become pretty accustomed to it. Best way to know how much you burn is to get an HRM. Best investment I've made yet :wink:
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    "Zumba Fitness® is the only Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, created by Grammy Award-winning producers, and contagious steps to form a "fitness-party" that is downright addictive." -according to their website

From what I have watched on youtube, it is latin dancing/aerobic exercise but it is more fun than just the exercise because you are actually doing dance moves to upbeat music. I had a lot of fun just trying it at home watching videos online, although it is hard to keep up. I don't know how many calories it burns, but I am sweating after 10 minutes!

Songs are usually repeated over time, so you do learn the "routine" and it does get easier to keep up with.

I strongly caution the the videos on youtube...a lot of them do not truly follow the "Zumba Formula" so I would be sad for people to either get a bad first impression or get the wrong impression of what Zumba is :sad: There is some great stuff out there, but there's also some not so great stuff!! :laugh:
  • purdymel623
    Options
    youtube it great cardio routing especially if you love to dance.
  • sabyars
    sabyars Posts: 26
    Options
    I also did my first Zumba class tonight! I absolutely loved it!! I cant wait to go back! I thought I was going to look stupid, but there were a lot of beginners today.. it was amazing!!