HRM...please convince me!

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I want a HRM but don't want to spend a ton of money on one. Can you convince me that it's totally worth it? Which one should I get?

Replies

• Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Dood, I want one too. =[
    I'm so weary of eating back my calories because I don't know how much I really burn!
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! I borrowed one and it was the best little exercise friend you can have!! It's way more accurate because it's set up for you and your weight and actually times your workout and records your HR and calories burned. Totally worth every penny if you ask me ;) Mine is coming in the mail today!
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So funny, I just posted a similiar post!! :laugh:
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    Best investment. I wear mine whenever I exercise. I burn between 7 and 800 cal in a workout. I found the machines at the gym are not accurate at all. I have a polar f6 that was 99.00 and I also have a sportliner. It is so worth it. I like to know what exactly I am burning and this tells you. Good luck.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mine counts calories (which is why I orignially bought it) I feel good knowing it's accurate and I challenge myself on every workout to get where I want in terms of calories burned for for the day!

I have a Polar F6 HRM. I got it for $110 at ****s. It had a 10 dollar rebate so it was actually only $100.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Mine counts calories (which is why I orignially bought it) I feel good knowing it's accurate and I challenge myself on every workout to get where I want in terms of calories burned for for the day!

I have a Polar F6 HRM. I got it for $110 at ****s. It had a 10 dollar rebate so it was actually only $100.

did that really just bleep out the store name??
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

LOL I can't believe MFP Bleeped out what I wrote!! I got my HRM at that sporting goods store that has a dirty name. Rymes with Rick's
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that once you get it you will understand all the hoopla about having one. For some odd reason it helps me perform better when exercising because I can see my heart rate in real time. I know when I'm slacking off or when I'm giving my all. Also I like being able to track my calories burned when doing my workouts out doors. I've noticed that when working out at the gym the exercise equipment can be about a 100 calories above on some days and 100 calories below my HRM so I just stick with what my Polar says. I also workout to alot of DVDs so I need my polar to determine how many calories burned during those workouts as well. It has really become a staple in my fat loss journey. Its worth the $89 I paid for it. It has paid for its self already.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Not only does an HRM keep track of the calories I burn, it also motivates me to go a bit longer. If I see that I have burned 463 cals, I will continue to get past the 500 cal mark. That is just one example. It is also much more accurate than MFP's database or the one on any piece of equipment. It is tailored just for you. You need to remember though to update any weight loss because it can't tell how much you weigh. I would definately get one with a chest strap. I have heard good comments abouit most of the models out there. Which ever type someone has, they seem to like theirs. I personally hav the Polar ft7. A ton of money for me might not be a ton for you. Mine was about $120 with tax. I know there are good ones that are much less than that.
    With the polar I also have an account on their personal trainer site that I keep track of everything. How many cals I burn per day, week, etc.. It keeps track of how many miles I log, how much time I exercise, my average/high heart rate, and how much time I spend in fat burn or fitness zone.
    Highly, highly recommend getting an HRM.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Wow that is crazy that it did that... I just bought a cheap one for around 45 bux. It tells me what I need and i LOVE IT! BUY ONE! Its nice because alot of what is programmed into MFP is not accurate either..so I can actually put in what I am doing accurately.

Ordered mine from the online store that is a jungle. haha!
  • FreeToBeMeIn2014
    FreeToBeMeIn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought the Sportline Duo 1010 yesterday at my local sporting goods store. It was 69.99 and I had a 20% off coupon. I used it for the first time this morning and loved it. You can use it with the chest strap or not. I used the chest strap this morning and it acutally synched with the machine I was using at the gym and displayed my HR the entire time. It showed that I burned a few more calories than the machine said, but was very close. Now, when I do kick boxing and aerobics, I will know about how much I burn. I totally recommend it!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I cannot convince you. I will tell you they're not worth it. You'll buy one anyhow.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I have a sportliner 1010 that I got at target for $40 I think. It's amazing to have. You know exactly how many calories you're burning. I really want to get a polar ft4 (I think that's what it's called....it's like $100) because it has the chest band that's even more accurate than the watch one that I have.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. That and good running shoes have been the money well spent on my fitness. I like knowing how hard I'm working and how many cals I'm burning. It's soooooo worth it.