Grocery List Staples?! HELP!

Options
So my boyfriend & I are due for a much needed grocery shopping trip & i'm new to healthy shopping. I want to start from svratch and build up a whole new pantry of healthy necessities & treats but i'm unsure where to start... What does a typical grocery list look like for you guys? Any tips? Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    broccoli, red pepper, green pepper, laughing cow cheese, strawberries, blueberries, cottage cheese, skim milk, hummus, string cheese. those are a few of the things that are on my list every week. =).
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I love the laughing cow cheese, but it's got a LOT of sodium in 1 little wedge. =( Only downfall it has LOL
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl website (http://www.hungrygirl.com) there is a GREAT shopping list there.

My go to's:
    Tuna
    Oatmeal
    Soy milk
    fruit- berries
    veggies- both frozen and fresh
    eggs
    chicken
    turkey meat- ground/burgers/cutlets
    fish/shrimp
    frozen brown rice
    peanut butter
    green tea
    sweet potatoes
    whole grain bread
    cottage cheese (2%)
    yogurt (fat free greek)
    sundried tomatoes
    garlic
    ginger
    *lot of spices

oh yeah- hummus and laughing cow cheese....and maybe some good low sodium deli turkey.

Happy shopping! :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    VERY LITTLE PANTRY FOODS FOR ME---most of it is fresh foods that go in the fridge. Lots of fruit and veggies. Even frozen steamed veggies are great. Fresh extra lean meats too, like turkey, chick, and fish.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Cottage cheese, milk, cheerios, oatmeal, baby carrots, fruit, bagged salad, deli meat for sandwhiches, wheat bread. I also sit down on Sundays and plan all my meals out and add to the list as needed.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    Tons of fresh fruits and veggies, boneless/skinless chicken breast or tenders, greek yogurt(I like mine with a tablespoon of honey for sweetness), ground turkey or extra lean groung beef if you prefer red meat, whole grain breads and pastas. When I buy canned veggies I always get the no salt added kind so I can control the sodium and any snacks I get(when I allow the sweet treat) I try to always get the kinds with no high fructose corn syrup. Beans are good as well as rice and spices...lower fat foods need a little spice in my opinion...it gives extra flavor without the added fat and calories. Happy shopping!
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    fresh and frozen fruit (no sugar added) to add to yogurt or make smoothies, organic salad greens (not iceberg) yogurt, cucumbers, boneless skinless chicken breasts, salmon, sweet potatoes, pistachios....and check out the ice cream section for Skinny cow brand treats....they are SO good!!!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is flip through a healthy cook book or some online recipes that you want to use. Look at ingredients that show up frequently, buy those and add on.

Ideally (if I had a pantry) I would keep: apples, mangoes, berries, soy milk, chickpeas, lemon juice (for moistening meat while cooking), kale, spinach, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Plus raw almonds and pistachios and sliced meats.
  • teri_cmc
    teri_cmc Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been told to stay on the outside of grocery store - meaning, don't go down the food aisles as that's where all the processed crap is... Stay around the outside edges where all the fresh items are located like produce, meats, cheeses, and so on. Staples in our house are apples, nectarinces, cheese sticks, protein shakes, yogurt, frozen veggies... Good luck!
  • MrsChristinaG
    Options
    we do our shopping at target (mostly because its closer to our house and less populated than a safeway or foodmax)

we get:

-whole wheat bread
    -fat free milk
    -fat free cheese
    -oven roasted turkey breast (lunchmeat)
    -eggs
    -light salad dressings
    -kashi cereal (or any other type of low calorie cereal)
    -Kudos/kellogs bars/100 calorie packs ( you dont want to deprive yourself too much of your sweet nothings)
    -green grapes
    -green apples
    -market pantry frozen chicken breasts
    -10-12 packs of frozen veggies
    -whole wheat buns
    -turkey burger patties
    -romaine lettuce & spinach
    -occasionally tomatoes, cucumbers, croutons (low calorie)
    -strawberries
    -fat free/low fat yogurts
    -crystal light

most of our groceries are store brand (no name) and its still pretty decently priced. 50-75$/week (feeds 2 adults, one toddler)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Every time I'm at the grocery store I load up on unsalted chicken stock, low sodium salsa (check labels don't rely on labels saying low sodium), LOTS of chicken and fish, and fresh and frozen veggies. I always try to make sure that I have brown rice on hand, and what I usually do is cook the whole bag and divide it into portions and put it in the freezer. I also make sure that I have some tofu, plenty of herbs and spices (Mrs. Dash is the bomb!) and some frozen or fresh fruits. Frozen berries make a yummy snack, and they satisfy a sweet tooth!. I round that out with low fat yogurt, unsweetened soy milk, eggs, oatmeal, and Kashi Go Lean. Have fun, and remember to read labels. Concentrate most of your shopping around the outer edge of the store.
  • ArtTeacha
    ArtTeacha Posts: 10
    Options
    I love coconuts, so full of magical goodness, and they're fun to smash with a hammer. Grab lotsa chicken and salad and anything healthy that could go it-nuts, carrots, cukes, craisins, pepperchini, avacado, feta, even sprouts- the list goes on and on.... those are some major staples in my house. Everybodys always talking about greek yogert too. Good Luck!
  • MrsChristinaG
    Options
    oh yes, and whole wheat pastas and your favorite sauces. with the pasta though, you may want to make dinner 1/2 pasta 1/2 salad/veggies
  • rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    Tons of fruits and veggies (apples, oranges, lettuce, snap peas, baby carrots, cucumbers)
    Lean meats
    Whole Grain breads
    Frozen Vegetables
    Frozen fruit (for smoothies or on yogurt)
    Yogurt
    Instead of using Sugar get some Agave syrup (it is lower on the glycemic index)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My most often groceries.

Egg beaters (egg white) I like southwest flavor!
    Blue Diamond Raw Almonds
    Vanilla Greek Yogurt (I like Fage)
    Multigrain rolls
    Low sodium deli meat
    No sugar added applesauce
    Tilapia Fillets
    Low sodium tuna
    Chicken Breasts
    Kashi Go lean
    Steel Oats
    Frozen broccoli, cauliflower carrots
    Mushrooms
    Sweet potatoes
    Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
    Brown Rice
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Every week my list includes the following. Assume everything is Fat/Sugar Free whenever possible. I spend most of my time in the veggie depart. I try to concentrate on new veggies that I can research new recipes for. Then I add-tuna packed in water, canned salmon, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, feta cheese, milk, yogurt, hummus, salsa (usually ingredients as I make my own) crystal light for a liquid treat, coffee, gram crackers, fat free puddings, ff cool whip, steel cut oats. I keep my list typed out so that all I have to do is add the extras to it.

I tend to eat the same things. Some foods like pasta and potatos are trigger foods for me. I have eaten steel cut oats for breakfast for over three months.. I love them and they taste like a dessert to me. Baked crackers with cream cheese and a slice of cucumber is my favorite snack.

Best to you in your journey.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Lately, I always keep a supply of apples, string cheese, fat free vanilla Chobani, almond milk, Carnation Instant Breakfast, strawberries (now that they're in season), and something little and sweet like Hershey Kisses (I just need one to satisfy my sweet tooth). Also great things to always have around: boneless skinless chicken breasts (stock up when they're on sale and freeze them), any veggies or fruits you like, sweet potatoes, fresh garlic, olive oil, whole wheat pasta, brown rice.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't get everything on this list everytime I shop...I like to rotate and change it up so I'm not eating the same thing all of the time.

Veggies:
    Bell peppers (especially red/orange/yellow)
    Onions
    Celery
    Baby carrots
    Broccoli
    Zucchini/Sumer squash
    Boston or Bibb lettuce
    Baby spinach
    Mushrooms
    Olives (black and green)

Fruit:
    Apples
    Nectaries
    Bananas
    Pineapple
    Grapes
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries

Meat:
    Chicken (Bell & Evans is my favorite)
    Extra lean ground beef (130 cal / 5 g fat per 4 oz)
    Al Fresco chicken sausages (great by themselves or for cooking...pasta, caseroles, etc)

Beverages:
    Low sodium V8 juice (great source of veggies, reduced sodium, helps fill me up)
    Skim milk (preferably antibiotic free)
    Powerade zero (to drink after I workout)

Miscellaneous:
    Crystal Light On-The-Go packs
    Frozen Meals (easy for work lunches, Smarts Ones, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice)
    Special K snack products
    Sugar free jello and pudding cups
    Whole grain cereal or oatmeal
    Activia light yogurt cups
    Mott's natural applesauce cups
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Fish, Chicken, peanut butter (naturally more), 1% milk, apples, carrots, aspargus, Fiber one bars, lower call protein bars (cliff, power etc), zero call sports drink like ION powerade, low sodium deli meat, high fiber low cal/carb wraps (La Tortilla), case of water.

I am sure there is a bunch more but I cannot think off the top of my head.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Sure. I spend most of my time AND money in the produce section.
    The week to week list and pantry looks like this
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Salad Mixes
    Broccolli
    Asparagus
    Cauliflower
    Carrots
    Sprouts
    Salsa (instead of dressing)
    Hummus (instead of mayo on your sandwich)
    Wraps
    Veggie burgers
    Variety of Dry beans and lentils
    Unsalted nuts and seeds
    Pretzel crisps
    Greek yogurts
    Kozy Shack no sugar puddings
    OJ
    Brita filters
    Shrimp
    Always a selection of frozen veggies and berries
    Oatmeal, oat bran
    Berries whatever is in season and on sale
    Fruits - banana, mango, pineapple, apples (whatever is in season and on sale)
    Fresh Cilantro
    Red Pepper flakes
    Onion
    Garlic
    Sriracha (I love hot foods)
    Almond Milk (only 40 calories)
    Corn Flakes or wahtever healthy-ish cereal you like
    as for treats - - i get mini drumstick ice cream cones or the skinny cow treats are good too.