I gained 3 lbs in a week

Options
eap20mn
eap20mn Posts: 18 Member
I weighted 157 on Tuesday then by the next tuesday i weighed 160 :( why is it that losing a pound is so hard and gaining them is sooo easy ... depressed ... i did overeat about 2 days but 3lbs ?? come on....

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. Do you watch your sodium?
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    could be water retention or too much sodium. I really doubt you consumed 10,500 extra calories! There's about 3500 calories in a pound so I don't think overeating is the problem. Check your sodium.
  • Annalotte
    Options
    Water... effing water weight. How are your clothes fitting? It's not all about the numbers on the scale.
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I gained 1.2 overnight (the day before my weigh in of course) because I ate out the night before. Tacos and chips are so high in sodium. It was ALL water weight. Be sure to drink a lot the next few days, and some, if not all, of it will come off. :) Good luck!
  • tehwhoaman
    Options
    Sodium helps retain a lot of water weight in your body. :P Or you may have put on a lot of muscle by lifting too much? (If you lift weights at all)
  • latoshia1
    latoshia1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't let that discourage you, your weight will go up and down. And yes it could be water weight. So you are still doing great!
  • imogenboo
    imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Water weight is a definite possibility, have you been drinking enough water? Its probably just a hiccup, I know its tough but try not to get too depressed about it, that'll have the reverse effect of what you want to happen.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    To have gained 3 lbs you would have had to have eaten more than 10500 extra calories. Which is quite a bit. I would chalk it up to water weight. We had weigh in day yesterday and one of my clients was up 7 lbs because it was TOM. So there are other things to factor in.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    No you didnt eat enough to gain that much. :smile: Rest assured, you can do this. Some important questions to ask yourself:

1) Did you eat something high in sodium or highly processed on Sunday or Monday- these things can cause false gains. Sodium retains water, processed foods take longer for your body to ...well ...process- you know.

2) Have you been doing a new workout or anything particularly strenuous? Hard work causes minor tears in muscle, and as the muscle grows and repairs it self, it retains water to complete this process.

3) Are you eating enough? If you are consistently well under your cals and then splurge one night, your body is likely to panic and hold on to everything you've eaten on splurge night in case you actually start starving.
  • Behavioral
    Options
    I agree...sounds like water weight to me.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The soup, processed sandwich meat, and the popcorn are making your sodium levels high. If you aren't sweating it out or flushing it out with water, you could be retaining.
  • ladyprincess99
    ladyprincess99 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink you water and watch you sodium intake. Or it could be all muscle, But I would watch it to be on the safe side, I have high blood pressure so watching my sodium is a must, That's why I love mfp, I can keep track of everything.
  • LMBS05
    LMBS05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't loose hope! A pound is 3,500 calories so unless you really really overate gaining three pounds in a day is impossible! That being said, your water levels will make your weight fluxuate and can be really upsetting. Just keep perspective try to stick to your diet and work out for a few days (and lowering sodium intake) and it should go back down. On the other hand if this weight tends to stick with you I might go see a doctor and get your metabolism tested!
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 lbs in a week. Increased my exercise by running an extra 30 mins every day! Just read that NSAID'S like aspirin and Advil can cause water retention I have been taking these for a week I gonna blame it on taking them. I"ll weigh again in a few days to see if that caused weight gain . Any one else know that?
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad....I just gained 2.4 lbs overnight!! I'm attributing it to one plate of Chinese Buffet goodness and no treadmill. :wink:
  • Regito711
    Regito711 Posts: 15
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started Couch to 5k and gain a 2 pounds. Yes I gained weight starting a running program! Don't get discouraged its just your body changing and adapting for new challenges . As long as you look leaner and your clothes fit like you want them to don't worry about it.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    likely water weight. I cycle calories and carbs each week. my weight can be up by as much as 5 lbs. after the higher days. By weigh in day I am back down to a little lower than I was the week before.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, and I agree with everyone here who said that it could be water weight. I mean, I technically gained 6 pounds over the past week from being in the hospital, but you can't let it get to you. (Easier said than done, I know.)
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It's probably just water weight. Keep working out, watch that sodium and drink water. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    What time of the month is it? Have you been exercising alot? Etc?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!