San Antonio Fiesta Support Group Thread Thingy

Options
This is for all my fellow San Antonians, but all are welcome to weigh in. No pun intended.

Well, it is Fiesta time here in San Antonio and that has a lot of meaning for a lot of people here. There is certainly a lot of community pride and pride of heritage involved in Fiesta. For most it is a great reason to get out and party.

For me, it means 11 days of fighting temptation and testing the limits of my willpower. Like most festivals or cultural events, Fiesta is full of food and drinks. There are dozens upon dozens of food carts, booths, stands and so fourth; everyting from meats to sweet treats and everything in between. The last time I went to a Fiesta event, I ate my way from one ond to the other. Yeah, sure I watched some performances and saw some art peices, but mainly I just ate.

This year, I have basically boycotted Fiesta because all the food and beer is just too much of a temptation right now. I know, I should have more willpower, or make better choices while there, etc. Truth is, there is just too many of my favorite foods calling to me as I walk around and it becomes way to easy to just let myself have a little of this and a little of that, next thing I know I've eaten 2 or 3 days with of calories in one night.

Anyone here in San Antonio who has the same problems with Feista, let me know. Heck, no matter where you are from let me know if you have the same issues going to fesitvals, fairs, parades, ball games or even just to the movies. I admit it, I love going to the movies but I really miss sitting there with my huge 50 gallon drum of popcorn with so much butter on it, that your hands become slick, and the 120oz gut buster Pepsi, of cours you have to get the larges so you can get the free refills.

Replies

• tjhmoody
    tjhmoody Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm from south of San Antonio (Texan born and bred) but have never been to Fiesta. I'm a LOT older than you and wouldn't be able to walk around it anyway. I understand the temptations of being at an event where there is food, food and more food. And I think your choice to stay away this year is a good one. We make choices that affect us either positively or negatively every day. Since you have been to Fiesta before and the food seems to be the big attraction I feel that your made a GREAT choice!!! Good luck to you in your weight loss journey and just keep making good choices. You CAN do it!!!
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    When does it start exactly? We are planning on heading to San Antonio this weekend and it's already hard for me with all the options in San Antonio compared to my little town.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    When does it start exactly? We are planning on heading to San Antonio this weekend and it's already hard for me with all the options in San Antonio compared to my little town.

I beleive the dates this year are 04/07/2011 - 04/17/2011

This friday is the Battle of Flowers, always a big event. NOSA, Feista Carnival, Saturday and Sunday, there are a couple of lively events as well.

http://www.fiesta-sa.org/events/date/
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster that if it's hard to stay away from the food temptations, that it's probably best to just skip it this year.

Tad off topic, but 3 years ago we were in San Antonio during Fiesta. My husband and I got married on the RiverWalk on Marriage Island :)
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you were hear during Fiesta, then you know what it is like, the people, the food the beer! A lot of the fiesta events, like NIOSA turn into one big block party with food!

Congrats on the marriage. My wife and I got married last year but did it in the Fredericksburg area, small private ceremony at our country house, less than 30 people. I gained over 70lbs in the 3 years after meeting my wife. Its the old fat and happy thing I guess. Now that we are married, I am trying to loose it all again.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i no longer live in san antonio, but when me and the kids went to fiesta last year i brought bottled water and left my wallet in the car *shhh* so i didnt have a choice. we walked FOREVER and had a great, guilt free time! but yeah, as soon as you park and step out of your car the smell of all the food gets you. and it wouldnt be "fiesta" if you didnt have a drink or two! lol but again, i had the kids so it was just water for me. its a shame you will have to miss it this year, but i completely understand!! happy fiesta! :drinker: