shin splints! ow!

ElizabethRPh
ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Twice in the last few days I've gone running outside instead of on the treadmill. The shin splints in my left leg are so bad I could barely walk. What can I do to prevent this? My sneaks are only a couple of months old. I did have foot surgery 18months ago on that foot. Maybe I'm compensating somehow. Any ideas?

Replies

• Twice in the last few days I've gone running outside instead of on the treadmill. The shin splints in my left leg are so bad I could barely walk. What can I do to prevent this? My sneaks are only a couple of months old. I did have foot surgery 18months ago on that foot. Maybe I'm compensating somehow. Any ideas?

try wearing compression socks... I HIGHLY recommend Oxy Sox for their graduated compression.... the Uunder Armor brand is more for folks who stand around a lot, IMO
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Taking time off gets them to go away, as its a cumulative energy.

I think maybe it's the way you're running. I get them really bad too and haven't been able to fix it.

I just ice em and keep goin
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    do you have running shoes, or just sneakers?

Treadmills have shocks that absorb a lot of the force of the pounding your body takes while running. Concrete sidewalks, on the other hand, are much more unforgiving.

I'm betting that it's a combination of these two -- the surface that you're running on, and the shoes that you're wearing -- is to blame here...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member

try wearing compression socks... I HIGHLY recommend Oxy Sox for their graduated compression.... the Uunder Armor brand is more for folks who stand around a lot, IMO

i wear under armor ones on the soccer field and they seem to help a bit.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    you could try buying those "non sneaker" running shoes (the minimalist shoes) and try running on the balls of your feet rather than hitting the ground with your heels first and then your toes. the impact of heels on the ground could be causing your shin splints.

also, you could try running on grass or on a rubber track.
  • cbpirie
    cbpirie Posts: 15
    Ice massage and Ibuprofin will help also stretching the anterior compartment. Do a calf stretch and while leaving your back heel down, bend the back knee. You will feel the stretch move around to the anterior compartment. Hope it feels better soon.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 396 Member
    Twice in the last few days I've gone running outside instead of on the treadmill. The shin splints in my left leg are so bad I could barely walk. What can I do to prevent this? My sneaks are only a couple of months old. I did have foot surgery 18months ago on that foot. Maybe I'm compensating somehow. Any ideas?

I played soccer for 16 years... as a result, major shin splints. Compression socks help, as do the right sneakers and running properly. I also use pre-wrap and athletic support tape wrapped around my calf, about 2 to 3 inches down from my knee. When I do all of this combined, it seems to help. also taking ibuprofen before working out helps sometimes. lots of ice after!
  • ant17r
    ant17r Posts: 13
    Shin splints are inevitable when switching from treadmill to the road. The pain is caused by the shin bone separating from the muscle due to impact. Typically they will go away on their own. I used to get them just as bad as you! Some days I literally moaned and groaned with every step! I would ice them and cut my running back slightly; not completely. You have to somewhat "run through the pain." Now, even if I don't run for a few months, shin splints are never an issue for me. It's all about training your shins for running and letting your shins know that you ARE going to run and they're just going to have to deal with it! Good luck!
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    I've had several foot surgeries and it can change the mechanics of your foot. I'd suggest going to a running store and getting a gait analysis. They can get you in the right type of shoe based on how your foot strikes the ground...which may have changed with the surgery. (One of the side effects of being in the wrong type of running shoe for your gait is shin splints)
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    try to avoid running on the concrete/road. run on the grass, on the shoulder. you'll lessen the impact on your shins. and i agree with icing it for at least 15-20 mins, ibuprofen and ideally staying off it for a couple days first...
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Try running on the other side of the road or in the opposite direction next time. Roads are built with a slight pitch (the highest point in the center and slope downward toward the sidewalk), so you may be putting more strain on your left leg because of the angle of the road. Also, make sure you are landing in the middle of your foot, not your heel. I had bad shin splints before I made these minor adjustments and now I don't have them at all.
  • I ALSO would get your stride analyzed and checked for pronation.... I have a special sneaker just for running based on how much support the shape of my feet needed as well as how my foot hits the pavement

Mizuno sneakers have changed my attitude towards running but the type I have are for neutral pronators... you may be a over or under pronator ( and I would find out which one BEFORE investing in minimalist shoes)
  • I've had several foot surgeries and it can change the mechanics of your foot. I'd suggest going to a running store and getting a gait analysis. They can get you in the right type of shoe based on how your foot strikes the ground...which may have changed with the surgery. (One of the side effects of being in the wrong type of running shoe for your gait is shin splints)

100% agreed
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Shin splints are inevitable when switching from treadmill to the road. The pain is caused by the shin bone separating from the muscle due to impact. Typically they will go away on their own. I used to get them just as bad as you! Some days I literally moaned and groaned with every step! I would ice them and cut my running back slightly; not completely. You have to somewhat "run through the pain." Now, even if I don't run for a few months, shin splints are never an issue for me. It's all about training your shins for running and letting your shins know that you ARE going to run and they're just going to have to deal with it! Good luck!

That's a fairly bad idea. Do NOT "run through the pain" if it's excruciating. Unless you actually get it diagnosed, you have no way of telling what the issue is. It could be shin splints, or it could be something a lot more serious like ACS, or even a stress fracture.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I ALSO would get your stride analyzed and checked for pronation.... I have a special sneaker just for running based on how much support the shape of my feet needed as well as how my foot hits the pavement

Agreed. I have special insoles for my sneakers that help stabilize me because I over-pronate.
  • ElizabethRPh
    ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
    thanks everyone! The surgery was for a bad bunion so yes, the gait is off to start with and then I had the surgery...
    I never thought about the socks, good idea! I have them as I stand all day at work. I'm going to try that. I do have running shoes, sorry about the misguidance there with the terms. I had a PT pick them out for me based on my gait and my issues. I think I just expected too much from asphalt as far as forgiveness. I def ran thru it, I don't want to be sentenced to a life in the basement. Bad enough I live in upstate NY, we never see the outside until May! I am just going to have to go a little slower. Thanks again, you guys are awesome!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    you could try buying those "non sneaker" running shoes (the minimalist shoes) and try running on the balls of your feet rather than hitting the ground with your heels first and then your toes. the impact of heels on the ground could be causing your shin splints.

Ouch!

I know that minimalist shoes are all the rage, but don't forget that you'll need to get your foot and legs in shape to wear them! Yep, since you're taking all the cushioning away, there's extra conditioning you'll need to undergo in order to comfortably wear this type of shoe!
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Try these stretches before running or cardio:
    - sit on my knees, like japanese style and twist your torso side to side
    - hurdle stretches
    ... Gets the blood flowing!! It's helped with my shin splints. I have horrible problems running on a treadmill.
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    I meant sit on YOUR knees. Yeah, don't sit on MY knees. That would just look odd, right? LOL
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    bump.
This discussion has been closed.