feeling defeated :(

Options
So this is the way it goes yesterday I had a great day drank all my water plus stayed on track for calories and exercised got my 10000 steps in and my reward a 2 lb gain.I thought I was ok with it I started my day on a I will push harder try harder attitude. but by 3:00 my give a damn got broke. This water retention thing is bad I know what it is but my mentality is it is still a gain I wish I knew what to do , how can I handle this with out destroying my last good days. I missed lunch and ate candy because I was too hungry same old story that has kept me fat for the last 8 years ;( any one have any suggestions I feel so bad....

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself every day!!!!! Once a week. Hide the scale!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day--don't let one day defeat you! I can completely relate to the disappointment because I had this happen to me right around the time I started tracking things on MFP. I was doing everything I knew to do, and gained weight. But the next week I lost several pounds. It gets better. Keep eating healthy, keep working out, drink that water (no real idea why it works but it does for me), plan ahead as much as you can, and "just keep swimming".

And feel free to add me as a friend.

Good luck!

Ellen
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself every day!!!!! Once a week. Hide the scale!

I agree weighing yourself once a week is MUCH better than everyday because then you won't be dissapointed if you gain a little during the week that you will most likely loose by the end. Another thing to think about it that when you are working out a lot you gain muscle and muscle weighs more than fat and also the more muscle you have the more calories and fat you will burn, so look at it that way. :wink:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    weigh only once a day and take measurements....I've found that when the scale wont move, the tape measure does :) Also set some new goals.....walk 3 miles, etc.

trainer.active.com has a free site where you can set all kinds of goals --- distances, challenges, exercises etc.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I had a similar crisis this past weekend. I only weigh in on Fridays @ noon due to a weight loss/fundraising challenge at work. This week I gained a pound. It was totally related to sodium intake from Thursday & I knew that intellectually, but not emotionally so had a bad patch. I'm getting back on track because I know that I didn't gain weight every single week on my way up and won't lose weight every single week on my way back down. Plus the more we lose inthe challenge the more money we raise for the Food Bank!

I can't see your food diary, but I'm finding a close correlation between my weight and my sodium intake- might be the same for you.

Take heart! How bad do you want it? Bad enough to try again?
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! keep in mind that weight may change from day to day.....If I weigh more than once....I usually just take the reading from the week reading:)) You can do this!!!
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    First of all, don't feel bad!!! You did fantabulous working out!!! I know exactly how you feel. You do so good, and you are so proud of how well you did, and then blah!!! The scale kicks you down, deflating the glow you had going. The bad thing to do is say, Well I didn't lose anything. I am just going to stop. DON'T STOP!! LOL! Just keep going. I call my scale Beastie. She is a hateful thing that likes to burst my bubble as often as possible. Instead, keep eating healthy, no candy lunches. Keep healthy snacks at work that are easy to grab. Don't skip meals. And keep up your awesome workout!!! You can totally do this. Give yourself a few days of doing really good things, such as eating right and working out. Then, that is when you get on the scale. Weight doesn't fall off over night. We would like to think that we worked out and did great and get up the next morning a pound or two lighter. Unfortunately, as my big ol' butt knows, it doesn't work that way. The body takes a little bit to catch up to us and our scales. Keep your chin up!!!! You are doing great! I am proud of your work out, even if your scale isn't!!
  • mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    Honey this is who we are....it's about adjusting our thinking, taking baby steps, not giving up, and pushing through....

if you have time check out my blog post....it's a common theme amongst us all

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mssugarca/view/i-know-that-im-not-alone-because-i-have-read-your-stories-92069
  • charding40
    Options
    ahhhh hon! dont give up! so you had a bad day, tomorrow is a new one! and take everyones advice on here and hide that scale and dont get on it except for once a week! i honest to goodness took my scale over to my mothers house so i wouldnt drive myself insane by getting on it all the time, lol! chin up lady! we all have bad days and fall off the wagon, its only a little set back not a huge one :) feel free to add me as a friend too :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Scales are fickle things -- they don't always reflect the hard work that we all put in to get the needle to move in the right direction. (I guess I'm showing my age -- the have been digital for a long time.) That's just me so that I don't get discouraged with what the scale is doing -- it's just a number.

I am an obsessive weigher - I like to know what my body is doing. The scale goes up and down for absolutely no reason. (I don't think I gained 4 pounds from eating a single donut, and my weight should have gone down after going to the bathroom!) The question is what is it doing directionally week after week?

Don't get discouraged by the number on the scale. And don't let today's lapse sabotage your long-term progress. Get back on track tomorrow, and do what you have been doing. If the scale doesn't move again, then try something new -- track your sodium / more water / more intense workouts, perhaps even eating more?
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing in everyday, then stop it right now. Once a week minimum. Same day, same time each week. First thing in the morning is best. Your food diary is not public, so I can't see what you're eating or what nutrients you're tracking. Pay attention to the amount of sodium you're taking in everyday. Strive to keep it below 2500 mg daily. Make your lunch and take it with you. Also keep healthy snacks with you when you're out and about. Also, I can't tell how many calories you're taking in on a daily basis, but if you're taking in too few calories, your body will hold onto them, which will also mean a gain. Hope this helps!! Good luck and God bless!!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    1: I agree about the scales - once a week - twice at the most!

2. SODIUM...SODIUM...SODIUM...keep it below 1500 a day and if you go over - drink a ton of water!!
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    Oh goodness girl I can totally relate! My water weight has been fluctuating about 10 lbs a day for the last week. I notice every month (yes around that time) I can't keep the water weight down, but once it's down (for the next month) I weigh less than before it went up. I hope that makes sense.
    I was almost in tears last night because I knew I hadn't eaten 35000 calories to gain 10 lbs in a day, BUT I'm sick and I was so dehydrated I thought I would faint. I threw all my weight loss crazy into the wind and drank Propel Zero and woke up 10 lbs lighter again this am. It is INFURIATING, but I'm just trying to forget about it.
    I understand WHY people say not to weigh yourself every day, but I like to look back and say "What did I eat the day before that could have affected my weight like that?". As infuriating as it is, my skinny jeans still fit great now and no one else notices I'm carrying the extra water weight.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It means nothing! Make sure to measure yourself! You will feel & see changes in your clothes. Just keep on what you were doing...and changes will happen!

2639362.png
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What Gardea said!
    I weigh myself everyday - even though some days it ruins my day. Mainly because I really am disconnected from my body and need to really figure out cause and effect better. Like everytime I eat pizza - the scale goes up 1lb the next day even though I work my butt off to earn the calories! All I can tell you is that when the numbers on the scale did not show me what I wanted to see - that's when I have quit a bunch of times before, and also why I went from 150 to 170 to 199 to 215 to 232 pounds!!! And all I can tell you is that if you DON'T give up, that will NOT happen! You will succeed, it just won't always be in a precise of regular manner. Stay with this!
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with Twooliver. Weight in once a week and get that sodium down. The MFP suggested sodium is higher than doctor recommended. I was having same trouble you were until I figured this out. I reduced sodium to below 1500 a day and it has made the difference. This is not an easy task. You have to eat super clean in order to get the sodium that low. I had already given up most prepkg foods but didn't realize that sodium was hiding in my meats.

Last tidbit. Change the way you look at why you are doing this. Think more about the results being "fueling your body better" and less about the scale. This may prove to be the toughest part.

Don't give up. We all feel your pain because its our pain too.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi
    Don't give up. I've not lost much weight at all but I've lost an inch around my tummy. Don't just use the scale, use a tape measure too.

Good luck!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I know the feeling! Yesterday I weighed in at 215.4, which I knew wasn't right. Today, I weighed in at 212.8. Big difference, right? I drank TONS of water yesterday, and lowered my sodium intake. You just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll do great! Don't worry about what you did wrong yesterday, or what you might do wrong today. Just make good choices today, and you'll be fine!
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was up 2, today I am down 2.5.
    I weigh myself everyday because I feel it makes me more accountable....but you have to accept that there will be fluctuations, its the overall trend that counts!
    I have a hard time eating lunch at the perfectly scheduled time too, so leave some snakcs in your drawer like luna or bonk bars that give you back your energy but don't crush your resolve the way the guilt of a candy bar can...
    Hang in there.....we all have our tough days! But just the fact that you are on here and reaching out means you CAN and WILL succeed!
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks mandi I am having a much better and controlled day feel much better about it all!