does anyone feel hungry sticking to their daily calories?

Options
since i have started watching what i eat and counting calories my diet has changed drastically. i used to eat anything without ever thinking about what was in it or how many calories there were. i considered myself active so i figured i'd just burn it off...and when i was younger that seemed to work but after having a child it wasn't the same anymore and i can't get away with that anymore.

anyways, my diet has changed drastically, i am not just eating the same foods but less, i am eating better, healthier foods, lower calories meals, and still having a couple snacks. i usually stay pretty close to my daily calories, sometimes go over, sometimes a little under but usually pretty close. but i have noticed i am feeling a lot hungrier. i eat thing like hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, peanut butter and apples, sandwiches, soups, fruits and veggies, cheese, nuts....i guess i'm wondering if i'm missing something to stay within the calories allowed and still feel full?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough dietary fiber? Fiber tends to fill me up- things like oatmeal, leafy greens...carrots, etc..?
  • knighty
    knighty Posts: 62
    Options
    i started to feel that way also, so i split up my calories into 200s each meal same calories a day but i get to eat more often im much better now
  • BrodiesMom2008
    Options
    i have oatmeal for breakfast a lot and carrots for snacks....i can have oatmeal every day for breakfast instead of just some days a week and see if that helps, thanks
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    fiber is good i use protein. i find nothing fills me the way meat does. (ummm hahaha) but really. when i eat meat, i feel extremely full versus anything else that might make me feel somewhat full immediately.
  • MettleForger
    Options
    I feel like im constantly staving to death. I felt like I was constantly hungry (even when I ate whatever i wanted all the time), but now that im watching what im eating I feel like im dying all day long. Its pretty awful, but surprisingly, im getting used to it.
  • KATE509
    KATE509 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have found that picking foods with alot of protein and fiber keep me filled up better...but when you first make the change, yes, its normal to feel hungry
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary I can take a look at what you've been eating and can offer some suggestions.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Fiber! Steel cut oatmeal is my fave, especially with a scoop of peanut butter. Sticking with healthful, unprocessed foods is the way to go. If you're active (and chasing a baby/toddler), you may need more calories per day than someone who's sedentary (I've got a toddler and a 4-year old). You definitely don't want to starve your body out of what it needs, or you'll keep yourself in starvation mode and lose your ability to burn fat efficiently.

Hope this helps. Friend me if you'd like!
  • adcoffman
    adcoffman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem off an on. Almost every time I've had this problem, it has been solved with drinking more water. Also like the person before me said, lots of fiber and make sure there are no food groups you are leaving out completely. Good luck!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I find that the days when I eat more salads and greens I feel full and don't have a desire to eat more, but those are the days I tend to be lower on my calorie intake and should be eating more. On days that I get less fibre I feel more hungry.
  • mamma321
    mamma321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The odd time i do so then i sit down and look at what i am eating....and the cause is usually empty cal....so try and fill yourself with foods that are filling, eg: Fiber, veggies, fruit. things that dont count for alot of cal. that way you can have more of them to make yourself feel better, also try and have protein with every meal and snack... I find that really helps! good luck to you!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't feel hungry. I keep my cals between 1200 and 1300 daily. There were a few times I was under because I worked my bum off and just couldn't eat enough of those cals back. The trick is to eat things that will stick with you for a long time. Like oatmeal... things with whole grains (they tend to stick with me longer than things like plain white bread, dunno why), nuts are really good for this too. I have a bottle of blue diamond dark choc dusted almonds and they are one of my fave snacks. They're very filling with very few, plus is a MUCH healthier way to give in to my choc cravings than a Hershey bar...
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My three keys are fiber, protien and water. Exercise can also curb appetite for a while. I try to stay ahead of my appetite by planning my snacks and eating them even if I am not hungry. You will just have to experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck.
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree having more fiber in your diet will help you stay full, you could go buy some Metamucil and you put it your water or drink so you don't have to add a bunch of calories buy eating foods with a lot of fiber in it. Its tasteless.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Do you have your settings correct? Too high of a loss/week goal is a common mistake and can lead to feelings of deprivation and hunger. Might help to read these threads that discuss healthy, realistic cal goals/deficits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way often since I started on my journey. However, prior to that, I never felt hungry but ate everything. Now, I embrace my growling stomach because it makes me remember that I'm doing a good thing.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If I make bad choices definitely...yesterday I had a snickers bar :blushing: so left myself with fewer calories for food, I was hungry but it was worth it, first one in about a year!...but generally lots of veggies and lean meat, chicken breast, lean pork steaks...high protein definitely fills me up better and for longer, porridge for some reason leaves me famished later, painfully and noisily hungry...everyone in the room will hear my stomach growling for food a couple of hours after porridge. Very strange!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Some nights I'm hungry and debating whether to do a quick 10 or 20 mins on the elliptical in my house so I can eat! If I was to not exercise and just eat 1200, I'd be constantly hungry! I usually burn 300-400 a day, and some times then I'm STILL hungry at night if I've wasted cals.
  • BrodiesMom2008
    Options
    how do i open my food diary?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    how do i open my food diary?

Go to Settings, Diary Settings and make it public.