is spinning a HIIT workout?

Options
guess the subject says it all....want to access more fat burn and was told to do HIIT and is spinning one of these?

Replies

• coahdan
    coahdan Posts: 19
    Options
    could be...

HIIT simply refers to High Intensity Interval Training. If you are doing periods of very high intensity work followed by periods of recovers then... DING DING DING - we have a winner!

Rock On!
    Dan
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It can be set up that way. I try to incorporate some HIIT sections into my workouts when I teach my class.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Depends on the instructor. Some instructor teach for outside riding, long endurance, while some teach intervals, while others also do just strength. But yes spin can be a HIIT.

I take 3-4 spin classes a week and each one is different and I take each one for the very exact training session goal that the instructor teaches.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    so the recovery time and the burst of intense activity is key to getting a HIIT workout. sounds like the workouts our spin instructor dishes out!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want a 2:1 ratio of lighter cycling to all out cycling for your life. Usually it's 30-60 secs of the highest intensity and dropping down for 60-120 secs. Keep that in mind next time you ride. Happy spinning! :flowerforyou:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a spinning class, so forgive my ignorance. However, I'm under the assumption that like most classes, spinning lasts about 45-60 minutes- let me know if this isn't correct.

Based on that assumption, spinning is not equivalent to HIIT. HIIT is not just high intensity, but it's also based on maximum effort. Meaning, that during the work phase (or "sprints"), you move as fast as humanly possible. Not 80%, 90% or 95% effort, but a 100%, all-out effort. Since it requires so much in terms of physical exertion, HIIT sessions normally last for no more than 15 minutes. Some world-class, elite level athletes can push it to 20 minutes, but those cases are extremely rare.

So, the basic rule of thumb is that if you can do HIIT for more than 15 minutes, you are not working hard enough. Furthermore, based on this, spinning is not HIIT.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a spinning class, so forgive my ignorance. However, I'm under the assumption that like most classes, spinning lasts about 45-60 minutes- let me know if this isn't correct.

Based on that assumption, spinning is not equivalent to HIIT. HIIT is not just high intensity, but it's also based on maximum effort. Meaning, that during the work phase (or "sprints"), you move as fast as humanly possible. Not 80%, 90% or 95% effort, but a 100%, all-out effort. Since it requires so much in terms of physical exertion, HIIT sessions normally last for no more than 15 minutes. Some world-class, elite level athletes can push it to 20 minutes, but those cases are extremely rare.

So, the basic rule of thumb is that if you can do HIIT for more than 15 minutes, you are not working hard enough. Furthermore, based on this, spinning is not HIIT.

Very good point! Spinning is intense but as you pointed out it doesn't qualify.
    I like your signiture quotes.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

The entire class usually isn't HIIT, but a portion can be. For example, the class I did tonight had a set of 1 minute sprint followed by 1 minute rest and I usually repeat this 4 times. I actually have had a class that was pure HIIT, though I didn't know it at the time. It consisted purely of sprint intervals and rest. That is easily the hardest class I have ever done.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    that sounds like our instructor....she makes us sprint and hold onto it for a full minute or more and then lets off on the pace and intensity...so needless to say I am working hard, so either way I am getting a hell of a workout....no the whole class of 50 min is not like this but certain sections after the warm up and jumps and working flats and hills are all out sprints with hanging on and then she builds 1min then 2 min then 3 min then 4

I am usually a puddle after her classes but they make me feel awesome after.