Question about Genetics.

Options
This may not be in the right area but I was curious if there were individuals with overweight parents who are not overweight themselves. Both my parents are overweight and I have always feared I would end up that was also. They were also thin growing up. Am I doomed to be fat later in life?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    No!!! If they were once thin then they became heavy by lettin themselves go.

Now, if they had a tyroid problem that could possibly run in your family then sure. But as long as you stay active then you ain't got nothing to worry about!!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Nope. Your parents eating habits could have rubbed off on you and led you to be overweight.

Blaming genetics for being fat is a cop out.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's as much to do with genetics as it does the awareness of your bodily changes. Growing older, your body does require/desire more fat stores (because you are becoming more prone to weakness, illness etc). Combined with the fact that naturally slim people give very little thought to what they are eating or how much of it they eat, it's just a recipe for gradual weight gain.

Be aware of your food, and no matter what your parents were or are like, you should be fine.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    nope, you can fight your genes.
    My biggest fear was learning to eat like them when I was growing up, but I have found way better foods than my mom used to make.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    My parents and one brother are all overweight, I've been borderline overweight but brought myself down to 118lbs. It's not genetics, like goalseeker said, both of my parents were skinny/normal throughout their lives, they've just let go.

I've also looked at them and thought that that's what the future has in store for me, but I'm determined to not let that happen and be the example, it's important that we stay in control and healthy.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I love my parents! But that has always been a fear of mine. My mom does have a thyroid problem but she's the only one in the family and my extended family who's gotten one. My sister and I along with my cousin have always watched what we ate because ... well...we all love food! :D a little bit to much, yet we don't want to end up fat. If you really believe it's life style and not genes then I think I'll be ok.