Burned Calorie Question

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just have a quick question on tracking burned calories. When I track for 35 minutes of elliptical training, My Fitness Pal will calculate that as burning around 800 calories. The elliptical machine I was using will calculate the burned calories at about 400 for 35 minutes. I have always tracked according to what the machine says after my workout and not what My Fitness was giving me. Am i correct in not going by what My Fitness calculates for my cardio work?

Thanks,

V

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    No idea how big you are, but 800 for 35 minutes seems really high. The 400 seems much more reasonable. For what it's worth, MFP and the machines are always way higher than my HRM. For greater accuracy and good training, invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap where you can tell it how old you are, how much you weigh, how tall you are and your gender.
  • victordeen42
    Options
    Thanks. 800 did seem really high, which was why i never went according to MFP. The machines i use do have heart rate monitors, and can track weight and gender as well, i guess i have to assume it is as accurate as can be. Thanks for the reply.
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    No idea how big you are, but 800 for 35 minutes seems really high. The 400 seems much more reasonable. For what it's worth, MFP and the machines are always way higher than my HRM. For greater accuracy and good training, invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap where you can tell it how old you are, how much you weigh, how tall you are and your gender.

I've also found that MFP and the machine is off what my HRM says, I would like to go with MFP or the machine but know my HRM is more accurate. I'd also suggest making the investment, it's well worth it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I just have a quick question on tracking burned calories. When I track for 35 minutes of elliptical training, My Fitness Pal will calculate that as burning around 800 calories. The elliptical machine I was using will calculate the burned calories at about 400 for 35 minutes. I have always tracked according to what the machine says after my workout and not what My Fitness was giving me. Am i correct in not going by what My Fitness calculates for my cardio work?

Thanks,

V

If you don't have a HRM use the lowest estimate of calories burned.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks,

V

If you don't have a HRM use the lowest estimate of calories burned.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yep, definitely go for the machine if it has a HRM and calculates age and gender. Be careful with machines that don't have HRM's, my treadmill at home is old and was designed to calculate for some overweight person who burns almost twice as fast as I do, so I was overestimating for a while until I got my HRM.
  • anotherprettyfleece
    Options
    You should go with what the fitness pal says unless the machine is calculated to your age and weight. The calorie counter that is set up for the machine is a ballpark number unless you again put in your weight and age. I have a fitness watch that calculates the calories I burn based on my heart rate and it seems pretty close to what fitness pal states. If you want to accurately calculate your calories burned, may I suggest a good fitness watch. Good luck.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Even if it has a HRM on it - be careful. Make sure you are religiously doing readings. I tend to only do readings when I'm really working - because that is when I think about it --- the machine calories burned are always higher than my chest strap HRM because it assumes my HR is always that high.

For it to be 400 calories in 35 minutes --- your perceived rate of exertion should be pretty darn high. So, just something else to balance the machine readings with (for me to burn that many calories, I'm sweating buckets and can only carry on short conversations).
  • strawberrylime
    Options
    I <3 the elliptical! And I do it for a solid hour and I'm moving! usually set at 11 incline and 9 resistance. By the end of that hour I burned around 740 calories. Absolutely go by your machine... 800 cals in 35 mins? that's so crazy. i wish it worked like that!! :)