Looking for a good (easy) chicken recipe...

Options
DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
I am SO bored with my usual chicken recipes. I want something new, low cal, & easy to make. Anyone have a favorite they want to share? :happy:

Replies

• hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a Traeger Smoker. It is fantastic and very easy to use. Any fat on the food drips off and all you are left with is delicious protein. Check them out www.traegergrills.com. I have even been making beef jerky on it so i have some low calorie high protein snacks.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Chicken breast in a crock pot with low sodium taco seasoning, reduced fat can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup salsa, in a crock pot for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and add a cup of reduced fat sour cream. I made it for the first time last week and will definitely be doing it again.
  • chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    PEPPER LIME CHICKEN
    2 to 4 fillet chicken breasts
    1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel
    1/4 c. lime juice
    1 tbsp. cooking oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp. garlic salt
    1 tsp. black pepper 1 tsp. dried thyme or basil, crushed
    1/4 tsp. salt

Rinse and pat dry chicken. Place chicken in casserole dish. Mix lime peel, lime juice, oil, garlic, black pepper, thyme or basil and salt. Pour over chicken. Let stand in room temperature for 10 minutes. Grill chicken over medium coals, uncovered for 20 minutes, basting with glaze often. Turn chicken and grill 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until tender and pink disappears, basting often.

I LOOOOVE this one! Its super easy and comes out great. I usually jus throw it in the over and it works awesome!
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love fajitas; either dry fry or use a small amount of olive oil, lots and lots of pepper and onion. Swap white tortillas for wholemeal/multigrain and ditch the sour cream for a spoon of home made salsa - quick, easy, nutritious :)
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In a bowl mix 2tbsp grain mustard with 1tbsp honey and just brush onto the chicken. Either cook it in a non-stick pan or on an oven tray with a little foil over the top. Yummy!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I buy chicken in the family size even tho it's just me.

I divvy it up to individual servings,
    when I put it in a plastic container to stow in the freezer.
    I'll put different marinades in each (i.e. ginger, garlic and soy sauce, BBQ sauce, teriakyi, chili sauce, italian dressing, chinese mustard) it varies and I make up new options all the time depending on what I've got in the house.

So, it marinades as it freezes AND as it thaws. I pull it out the night before and stick it in the fridge. Come home from work and broil it or braise with veggies it depending on how soon I want to eat. (Broiling is faster & nuke the veg)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I made BBQ chicken empanadas last night that were fabulous. The way I made them, they came out to about 200 calories a piece. They are about 40 minutes of active time and 20-30 minutes cook time. This is the recipe:

2 cups Bisquick
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 hot water
    2 chicken breasts (about 3 oz each)
    3/4 cups BBQ sauce
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 1/2 tbsp Franks Red Hot
    2 tsp mustard (I used a sweet and spicy kind)

Cook your chicken (I boiled mine with pepper and cayenne, but whatever works for you). While the chicken is cooking, mix the Bisquick with sour cream and water. Transfer to a flat surface dusted with Bisquick. Knead for about a minute. Roll out the dough to 1/4 thickness. Cut out 6 inch circles until no dough is left (I used a top of a tupperware dish to make the circles). Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, shred chicken. Mix with BBQ sauce, Franks Red Hot, mustard, and garlic. Using a tablespoon, spoon a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture into one half of the prepared circles leaving a little room around the edges. Fold the other half of the circle over and press down around the edges using a fork to make imprints. Put on a baking sheet and cook for 20-30 minutes until the dough is golden on the tops. Then, enjoy!
  • dukebytes
    dukebytes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Put Chicken in a crock pot and add some lite / fat free dressing, Cook it for about 4 hours or so and thats it. I use Gazebo Room Lite Greek Dressing. Tastes great and it can't get any easier. I also cook pork chops this way too.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Simplest repice ever

Lemon peper Chicken

Put a little olive oil in a pan, with a table spoon of butter, once heated (medium heat) add lemon peper seasoning to the chicken(can buy it in the spice isle) put chicken breast in pan.

I sprinkle it generously on top. Cut a lime or pepper and squeeze into a cup. Brush or baste on chicken as it cooks....

Once barely cooked all the way through pull off immediately
  • precious71701
    Options
    I love fajitas too, how about ditch the bread all together and just use a bed of lettuce, that way you can still have the sour cream. chicken fajita salad
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I made BBQ chicken empanadas last night that were fabulous. The way I made them, they came out to about 200 calories a piece. They are about 40 minutes of active time and 20-30 minutes cook time. This is the recipe:

2 cups Bisquick
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 hot water
    2 chicken breasts (about 3 oz each)
    3/4 cups BBQ sauce
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 1/2 tbsp Franks Red Hot
    2 tsp mustard (I used a sweet and spicy kind)

Cook your chicken (I boiled mine with pepper and cayenne, but whatever works for you). While the chicken is cooking, mix the Bisquick with sour cream and water. Transfer to a flat surface dusted with Bisquick. Knead for about a minute. Roll out the dough to 1/4 thickness. Cut out 6 inch circles until no dough is left (I used a top of a tupperware dish to make the circles). Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, shred chicken. Mix with BBQ sauce, Franks Red Hot, mustard, and garlic. Using a tablespoon, spoon a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture into one half of the prepared circles leaving a little room around the edges. Fold the other half of the circle over and press down around the edges using a fork to make imprints. Put on a baking sheet and cook for 20-30 minutes until the dough is golden on the tops. Then, enjoy!

This sounds amazing!!
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    these are my 2 faves. :happy:

15-minute chicken pasta

350g pasta bows (farfalle)
    300g broccoli , cut into small florets
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
    2 garlic cloves , crushed
    2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
    juice of 1 large or 2 small oranges
    25g flaked almonds , toasted

Cook 15 mins
    Low-fat, Super healthy
    Serves 4

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Three minutes before the pasta is cooked, throw the broccoli into the pasta water and continue to boil.
    While the pasta is cooking, gently heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Tip in the chicken and fry, stirring occasionally, until the chicken pieces are cooked and golden, about 8-10 minutes, adding the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
    Mix the mustard with the orange juice in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken, and gently simmer for a minute or two. Drain the pasta and broccoli, reserving 3 tablespoons of the pasta water. Toss the pasta and broccoli with the chicken, stir in the pasta water and the almonds, season well and serve.
    Making it nut-free
    Pine nuts are an ideal replacement for the almonds if you have a nut allergy, as they are in fact a seed from a variety of pine tree.
    Per serving 531 calories, protein 43g, carbohydrate 70g, fat 11 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 6g, salt 0.52

chicken tortilla Casserole
    Ingredients
    1 can (10.75 oz) 98% fat-free, 45% less-sodium, condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
    1 container (8 oz) fat-free sour cream
    1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    8 yellow corn tortillas (6 or 7 inch), torn into bite-size pieces
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
    1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
    1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend (6 oz)

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix soup, chiles, sour cream and milk until blended. Stir in chicken, tortillas and bell pepper. Stir in tomato and 1 cup of the cheese. Spoon and spread mixture in baking dish.2. Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.
    Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 610mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 22g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 20%; Iron 8%. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Very Lean Meat. Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2.
  • ptoutain1
    Options
    I made a delicious chicken salad pita pocket today. I grilled a 4 oz. piece of chicken and shredded it in the blender. I added a tablespoon of helmens light mayo, chopped cucumbers, pickles, lettuce, and a slice of tomato. The whole thing was only 325 calories.
  • TonyTrinch
    Options
    Made quick and easy Chicken Cacciatore tonight. Took a boneless/skinless chicken breast, a sheet of aluminum foil, and 1/2 cup of Classico Triple Mushroom sauce. Poured the sauce over the chicken breast, wrapped it up in a little packet w/ the aluminum foil, and baked it in the oven at 450 for about 30 minutes. Very yummy and only 210 calories for one serving. Roasted some fresh Brussel sprouts with it, drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Whole meal was only 292 cals and very filling.
  • impressr
    impressr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wanna make the chicken tortilla dish....how many servings in entire recipe? Thanks. Souds awesome!!!
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The chicken in the crockpot recipe sounds awesome! I always love crockpot recipes!
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    ooo bumping this, I love chicken :)
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump.. i wanna make that chicken cacciotore tonight!!
  • kmsmith24
    Options
    This is a weight watcher recipe. You can add some spices and extra veggies. I added red pepper and served with brown rice.

2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp table salt, divided
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    12 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
    2 tsp minced garlic
    2 1/2 cup(s) broccoli, small florets
    2 tsp lemon zest, or more to taste
    2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Instructions
    On a plate, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper; add chicken and turn to coat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate.

Put 1 cup of broth and garlic in same skillet; bring to a boil over high heat, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add broccoli; cover and cook 1 minute.

In a small cup, stir together remaining 1/2 cup of broth, 1/2 tablespoon of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; add to skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat.

Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in chicken and lemon zest; heat through.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice; toss to coat. Yields about 1 cup per serving
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump....:smile: