Sugar

Options
ClarkMer
ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
Question for everybody out there that may be able to answer.

I go WAY over my sugar goal every day. A majority of my sugar is in my yogurt and fruit. I have always heard that the natural sugar in fruit is good for you, but on this program it counts it the same as it would count added sugar, so I am confused. Is it healthy to eat as much fruit as I do? Or should I cut back on my fruit? Ugh, this weight loss thing is hard! LOL

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm way over on sugar too. I don't worry about it most the time. I think their sugar amount is unrealistic.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Don't cut back on fruit! It's good for you! Sugar is really hard for me to stay under on. I don't think the calculation MFP has is correct... especially if you're eating 2 or more fruits a day like you should. Just try your best to limit the refined unnatural sugars :)
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What you need to watch are calories and fat. As long as you know your sugar intake is from fruits don't worry about it. Its suppose to help you watch what you eat. Don't let it control everything you eat.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I have the same issue. I've decided to cut out my yogurt, but not my fruit. I never really liked yogurt anyway and when it has as much sugar as some cookies, I'd rather have a cookie, thanks! Today is my first day of no yogurt and it's looking like it'll be the first day I'm under on sugars!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I hear you.
    I eat starbucks oatmeal in the morning which includes 50cals of brown sugar, dried fruit mix and nuts. The sugar in that is 33 and my daily goal according to MFP on 1200 calories is 24! So I am already over. I honestly don't feel bad about it thought because I still think it's good for me but maybe I am just in denial...as my name indicates!
    Does make it hard for the rest of the day though!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Weird, I just posted about the same thing. Two cups of milk (the daily guideline) is 24g of sugar. I've been told to cut my sugar/carbs to help tone up. I eat a lot of fruit as well, so I don't understand how 25g a day is possible.
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this exact thing!! so glad i saw this. What i am thinking of doing is to not count my fruit (still log it) but only count to myself the sugar that is from other foods and make sure that is under or same as my daily goal...does anyone else agree with this concept??? Because if i just eat ONE banana, i'm already over for the day! thats so unrealistic!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I hear you.
    I eat starbucks oatmeal in the morning which includes 50cals of brown sugar, dried fruit mix and nuts. The sugar in that is 33 and my daily goal according to MFP on 1200 calories is 24! So I am already over. I honestly don't feel bad about it thought because I still think it's good for me but maybe I am just in denial...as my name indicates!
    Does make it hard for the rest of the day though!

I would ask for it without the brown sugar. 33 grams is a lot of sugar! The mcdonalds oatmeal (very similar with dried fruit and apple chunks) has 18 grams without the brown sugar. It's really tasty!

I've done some research and decided for myself that 40 grams a day would be a good goal for me. I still have trouble meeting that.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm over. But it doesn't seem to be a problem. I feel great.
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    For the same reasons as you have all just mentioned I manually change my sugar goal to be 80g per day as this is 5g below the recomended limit for a female adult.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    For the same reasons as you have all just mentioned I manually change my sugar goal to be 80g per day as this is 5g below the recomended limit for a female adult.
    Ooooo I never thought of changing it manually. I found it weird sugar was the one thing I consistently go over, ever if I just have one banana and the slightest bit of milk.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation and portion control. Yes you can eat too much fruit. Although it's better then processed food, it still has carbs which will cause weight gain if you're not carefull.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar allowance is waaaay below the recommended daily amount. Don't worry too much about going over on sugar as long as it's mostly fruit sugars. Just watch out for processed sugar that's all and try and keep processed sugars as low as poss :happy: