Tummy Troubles -- need suggestions

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I've been having a lot of tummy troubles, I think its from eating too much fiber. I have pressure and dull cramping pain in my upper abdomen. It is currently my TOM, but I never get pains this high in my abdomen from that.

I want to try to eat very little today and drink an insane amount of water to try to get myself feeling better. This isn't a normal thing, i usually eat all my calories. What is something that I can eat that isn't high in fiber that i can munch on slowly all day? So far i've had a serving of kashi berry crumble and 10 baby carrots.

I was thinking of just eating carrots and celery all day, but they're both high in fiber.

I want something that won't fill be up, the pain and pressure gets worse after eating a meal. I just want something small and snacky that low in fiber, fat, sugar, and salt.

Suggestions?

Replies

• ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Try Activia. I have heard that it works wonders for tummy troubles
  • alexia_faith
    alexia_faith Posts: 32 Member
    Has it affected your number twos??

If your not going as often then its probably too much fibre - in which case cut down or drink more water or use a medication to flush it through

I'd recommend seeing a Dr tho - I had a similar set of symptoms which turned out to be IBS so it might be worth getting checked out.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    One thing I can tell you is that my doctor said two things were most likely the problem. One is lactose intolerent, milk, cheese and dairly in general the other is the raw veggies. I am not sure which it was cause I cut most of the dairy and went to steamed veggies even as a snack or with lunch and it helped.

Good Luck! Keep up posted!
  • paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    have you tried having some malox? that happened to me once and it ended up being a strange gas/acid issue.

try the malox i bet it will help.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    yogurt is good for stomach problems!
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Don't fear the fiber! I eat an insane amount of it and sometimes have the same problem you're having - sometimes it just takes a bit to get through. Make sure you're eating the right kinds of fiber (avoid those Fiber one bars, those things are the devil)...

The only thing that helps me is drinking a TON of water. I mean chug chug chug. Half your body weight in ounces will keep things moving and alleviate any pain and bloating :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    I haven't seen a change in my number 2s, I have always been irregular as long as i can remember. 2-3 times a week.

I have also recently switched to soy milk and i have been eating a lot less cheese (just cause the fats) So i'm pretty sure its not lactose-intolerance.

I just wish this bloating would go away!! I have drank 9 cups of water so far today and I still feel horrible!

I'm all out of yogurt, but I may go buy some, I know Greek yogurt is really good for tummy stuff.

Thanks for all your suggestions
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    sounds cliche - but try some chicken soup.........not too salty though.....it may help soothe..

I've had all kinds of irritable bowel and stomach/espophagus problems, so if your persist, see a Dr.

in the meantime....deep breath and some chicken soup :heart:
  • Where at in your upper belly is it and what kind of pain? I had pains that felt like acid reflux or even heart attack. It ended up being my gallbladder. I had to have it removed. But it made eating and even drinking a huge problem for me!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Buy some probiotics or digestive enzymes over the Tums, Pepto, Malox etc. They are active cultures, like in yogurt, that will help your body regulate better and make you feel better as well. Most grocery stores have them. Target has them. Ask the pharmacy if you can't find them, I think Pearls are one?

Cutting one food your body is used to having in greater quantities (fat for one), changing your diet, etc. can all affect the way your body feels and responds. It can take a while to reregulate itself..but the probiotics will help.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    I kinda want to make a thread that goes like this

"IF YOURE A HEALTH EXPERT PLEASE STEP FORWARD *draws line*
    EVERYONE ELSE STOP GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE. Dear lord people, stop ASKING for medical advice on here too! If you think you're broken or MFP isn't working quite right for you, go to a doctor. If you can't afford one, there are NO free ones here."

...THERE.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Research and try a colon cleanser (while continuing to eat). Not all are created equal and make sure you're home for the day. I use them about once every 2 months and they totally help but don't do them daily.
  • Anise76
    Anise76 Posts: 57 Member
    Okay... from someone who has suffered from IBS for more than 20 years - DO NOT RESTRICT YOUR CALORIES.

Your symptoms more or less match the ones I have suffered since I was a kid, and restricting calories is the worst thing you can do. Up your intake of green veg, up your water intake, and ride it out for a few days. Try to avoid eggs, bananas and potatoes with skins on, and keep your diet as clean as you can for a while. While it might not be the tastiest eating experience ever, getting rid of additives and salt will help if it is IBS. Also, try cutting out the soya - it's a HUGE bloat factor for me, although it's uncommon in most IBS sufferers. Try to avoid any foods with soya in for a week or two, and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.