need assistance losing weight

SHIRLSMARINE
SHIRLSMARINE Posts: 5 Member
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
hi, I am very new to this. I'm supposed to be on a 1200 cal diet. And go to WW.
I seem to be eating appr 1,000 cals and I think I am getting conflicting comments from the "comments" section at the bottom after I have finished my diary for the day. It says, for ex., if I eat like this every day, I would weigh etc etc (a nice lower figure that I would like) by a certain date but then says I need to eat more because i will put my body into starvation mode etc etc. How many REALLY believe that eating less calories than recommended is not a good way to lose weight? And, I am working out like crazy - aerobics, Curves, walking every day. I reallllly need help figuring this all out! Don;t even know for sure how to use a post. Thanks - appreciate any help.

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    if ur eating less than 1200 and working out like crazy u will need the energy which u wont get from under 1200, but thats just my opinion:smile:
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Yes..I get confused too!! Says I should eat more BUT if I stay like this I'll loose such and such.... I think use all this as a guide, listen to what your body says too!! It will tell you if you are really hunrgy ( the noise from your stomach...lol) Eat healthy, exercise - that's about it!!! All the best..add me as a friend if you want:smile:
  • Hi there! I'm a dietiitian using the site for wellness/weight loss! There actually is a rhyme and reason to eating your "minimal" recommendation every day. The calories recommended are estimated to keep your body in fat-burning mode, while preserving lean muscle. If you go below this level, your body runs out of glucose stores, and will switch to burning off glycogen from muscle tissue. You will still lose weight, but in the long run, you will be losing fat as well as muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat at rest all day long, so by keeping or building muscle, you will be increasing your metabolism. By burning your muscle, you will be decreasing your metabolism, and it will get harder and harder to maintain or lose weight.

I hope that makes sense!
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    You'll lose weight in the beginning eating less calories but eventually your loss will stall. MFP factors in a deficit for you already. You should eat the recommended calories AND your earned exercise calories. I've tried it the other way and the weight came off but then I was stuck. Ever since I've been doing what was recommended by MFP my loss has been more consistent. It may take longer, but it's a healthier way to lose.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    thanks for explaining that beelouise5
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    I never eat all my calories. I eat alot of veggies everyday. If I don't need to eat all my calories, I don't. I only eat when my body is telling me too. I've been doing this since february. I've lost 22 lbs since than.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Hi there! I'm a dietiitian using the site for wellness/weight loss! There actually is a rhyme and reason to eating your "minimal" recommendation every day. The calories recommended are estimated to keep your body in fat-burning mode, while preserving lean muscle. If you go below this level, your body runs out of glucose stores, and will switch to burning off glycogen from muscle tissue. You will still lose weight, but in the long run, you will be losing fat as well as muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat at rest all day long, so by keeping or building muscle, you will be increasing your metabolism. By burning your muscle, you will be decreasing your metabolism, and it will get harder and harder to maintain or lose weight.

I hope that makes sense!

Awesome. I'm glad someone finally hit it on the button!

To the OP:
    Welcome! This is a great website. Good counter and a good community.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    If you are a little under it's nothing to worry about. But if you are way under everyday you are not getting the nutrition you need and you will go into starvation mode and not loose all you could . Watch your sodium and carbs. Sodium because you will retain water and carbs because they turn to sugar which in turn, turn to fat. Good luck.
  • maria_irene79
    maria_irene79 Posts: 6 Member
    Calories = Energy. If you are working out, your body is using up a lot of that energy. If the body feels that it is using up more than what you are providing (ealing less) , when you DO eat, instead of using up the calories from the food, it will KEEP them for future use. This is the starvation mode... this in turn will work against you, as you are training your body to keep the food instead of using it up. WW provides a good guide into changing your eating habits . Make sure you stay within the point and you will find the pounds shedding off in a healthy way which will help you in the long run.

Hope this helps! Good Luck on your weight lose journey! :-)
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Going to low to long screws up the metabolism. If u eat your maintainence cals and work out u should be losing weight. If u are cutting your cals to low ur body knows it and old on for dear life ( as in fat) and burn lean muscle (bad) literally.
  • I'm no health expert, but I have read a lot about dieting and taken a nutrition class once upon a time, and it really is not healthy for your body if you are consuming less than 1200 cal/day ESPECIALLY if you are working out like crazy. Cutting back on the calories can be a great thing, to a point. Your body requires a certain about of calories/nutrients daily to function. If it stops getting what it NEEDS it will start to go into starvation mode, which means it will try like crazy to hold onto every calorie you consume for fear it may not get more calories later (making it harder actually for the weight to come off). Remember calories = energy for your body. If you are not recharging your body, but demanding it put out a lot of energy, things will start to malfunction and eventually shut down. Reward your body and take care of it by giving it the energy (calories) it needs. Losing weight is about being healthy, not just about being thin. So take care of yourself, and shoot for the 1200 mark every day! (Remember, w/out working out your body already is using up about 2100 calories every day). Good luck, and stay HEALTHY!
  • Andrea511
    Andrea511 Posts: 12
    I was listening to the radio the other day and Dr. Ian from Celebrity Fit Club was talking about how not eating enough will put you body in starvation mode and when you do it you will not lose weight. He suggested eating 5 small meals, 3 meals 2 snacks. I have always heard its not recommended to eat less then 1200 a day. With you working out alot you could probably eat more and lose weight at a steady rate.
  • SHIRLSMARINE
    SHIRLSMARINE Posts: 5 Member
    Wow, this is cool - I've never used a message board - I've already gotten so many helpful answers - all pretty much in agreement to not eat below my recommended 1200 calories. I will certainly try harder. Thanks to all of you - good health to you too. One more thing, how can i print a week's logs?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    One at a time.
This discussion has been closed.