honest feedback---> is there a such thing as too thin?

Options

Replies

• nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    on the first picture you look great. the second picture you look a little too thin in my opinion

agreed.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments so this may have been mentioned already but I know that some people who have eating disorders will do things to encourage comments on being too thin. Maybe you're posing in such a way to make you appear thinner to produce those comments? Not trying to be judgmental at all but it could be a sign of an eating disorder and I would recommend talking to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject. (((HUGS)))
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with consulting with your physician. That way, you not only can look at your weight objectively, but also your nutritional status.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I too looked at both photos. The first looks fine, the second looks like you may be too thin. Not trying to be harsh but someone else said you look "sickly" and I kinda have to agree. I am only 5'1 and 118. I am told for me not to lose any more, by my doc and my hubby. Now I am also 35. My BMI is about 23-24.

I think maybe you need to gain a tad back, and then focus on muscle. Muscle will help with the size as well as overall health.

Best of luck, and remember, health is more important that how big or small you are :)
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most folks are saying. You look really healthy and fit in the first picture. But in the second, i would say you look too thin.
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think the first picture looks great but the second on doesn't luck real healthy....sorry.:flowerforyou:
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I too looked at both photos. The first looks fine, the second looks like you may be too thin. Not trying to be harsh but someone else said you look "sickly" and I kinda have to agree. I am only 5'1 and 118. I am told for me not to lose any more, by my doc and my hubby. Now I am also 35. My BMI is about 23-24.

I think maybe you need to gain a tad back, and then focus on muscle. Muscle will help with the size as well as overall health.

Best of luck, and remember, health is more important that how big or small you are :)

I agree!!!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too thin. It isn't my place to judge you, even though you have asked me to, but if your family who loves you is concerned, maybe you should talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks.
    I agree. Speak to a docotr or a certified dietician to determine the right foods for you.
  • misschievousgrl
    Options
    With your BMI you cant afford to lose any more weight.. but I agree with all of the previous posts. go have a check up with your doctor. ask them if you are at a healthy weight. and if not, where you should be.. Being too thin as a woman can cause some problems with it comes to getting pregnant and such when you are older. You want to be healthy so best thing is to go with what the doctor says, not just what looks best
  • misschievousgrl
    Options
    With your BMI you cant afford to lose any more weight.. but I agree with all of the previous posts. go have a check up with your doctor. ask them if you are at a healthy weight. and if not, where you should be.. Being too thin as a woman can cause some problems with it comes to getting pregnant and such when you are older. You want to be healthy so best thing is to go with what the doctor says, not just what looks best
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    it's really hard to tell from pictures and i hate to be judgmental but i honestly think you do look too thin.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Please look at this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214923-a-different-kind-of-before-after and see how much better she looks with adding a few pounds. Per her blog she is willing to talk maybe you can send her an email and discuss some of your concerns.

Agreed - the post mentioned above is VERY inspiring. See if when you look at her photos you see a bit of yourself there. The best thing you can do for yourself is go and see your physician. Ler her/him check you out, run some blood work....be honest with them about what you're eating and what your activity level/exercises are.

Pictures aren't perfect for evaluating someone's health, but there's no harm and going to see the physician and listening to what they have to say. Take good care of yourself because you're worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

Beautifully said, I have to agree.
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Too thin can be an issue, I have several friends who struggle to gain weight and maintain it...I would say look at your bmi and see where you are. If you're in the healthy range, then you're probably good : )
  • DKennedy1
    Options
    The first photo looks good (cheeks/face look great!). Second photo you definitely look too thin. Please contact your physician and decide together what is a healthy weight for you. I wish the best for you!
  • JMRGrant
    JMRGrant Posts: 67
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. Unfortunately I could see only one photo and while your face looked great your arms and legs appeared "really thin". You might want to take good long look in the mirror (minus the clothes) and give yourself a long hard look. If you still have a different opinion than your family and if they are still firm on their assessment a visit to your FP would probably be in order for a full physical. Good luck and stay healthy!
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    First picture: I see a pretty girl, with nice completion, looks full of energy, looks healthy.

Second picture: I see a person who looks very tired, pale, maybe weak/malnourished. The fact that your eyes are half shut, there are lines under your eyes, and that you shirt looks like it is hanging off your body leaves me concerned.

According to the online calculator for BMI, your BMI is 18.9, anything under 18.5 is bad.

Go to your doctor: Get your blood tested to make sure you aren't malnourished. If your doctor says you are healthy then don't worry about it too much.

I think you should gain 5-10 pounds, but that is just my opinion.

What is important is how you feel about yourself and if you feel happy and healthy.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too thin. Unfortunately, when you are working out and being concerned about how many calories you eat, you can get a little carried away when it comes to your own body image.
    In the first picture, you look healthy and a perfect weight. You look full of life and like you are a bundle of energy. In the second, you look too thin. Your cheek bones look a little sunken and you can see your collar bones big time. You seem a little malnourished in my honest opinion. If they really are taken with you at 110 lbs, I would gain some. 5-10 pounds would be good.
    The general doctor's rule of thumb for women's weight is 100 pounds at 5 feet and 5 pounds for every inch after. Obviously, not everyone will fit this perfectly, but I think you seem to have a regular build and should shoot for about 120 lbs.
  • finabella
    finabella Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi
    After looking at your photo's I would say you do look under weight I did a quick BMI calculation and you are at 18.9, you are only .4 away from being underweight with your BMI. Best thing to do is go to the doctors and have a check up, it's great to be thin but not if you are harming your body by being to thin.
  • mssw18
    mssw18 Posts: 11
    Options
    If there is a too big, there is a too thin. I think we all should strive to be healthy and being at either end of the spectrum isn't. If you and your family are concerned maybe you should see a doctor about the issue. Just remember healthy is the new black :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!