I think I may work out at GloboGym.......

I usually like to workout in the morning, because the gym is less crowded and I get my workout done early, andI don't have to think about it anymore.

However....I have a problem, and I hope someone can give me some advice.

In the morning all the personal trainers for the gym work out, before their client appointments. That is not the problem. The problem is they are obnoxious. Screaming, and throwing weights, and generally acting like idiots.

Every time I witness this spectacle, I am reminded of the scene in "Dodgeball" where White is working out and then they are all "Look at the show. Look at the show."

This morning, I came into the free weights section, and there they all were, grunting and heaving and yelling like women in labor. I tried to drown them out with my music, but it was impossible and I very visibly eye-rolled. Another patron saw me, and started laughing. I said, "Oops sorry, I guess I should not do that in publc." He said, "No, no. We all find it very annoying."

So, here is the advice part......Should I mention something to management about how the trainers workouts are intruding on everyone else's workout time? Or do I and everyone else just suck it up, and tolerate it?

W. [+]:o)

Replies

• I usually like to workout in the morning, because the gym is less crowded and I get my workout done early, andI don't have to think about it anymore.

In the morning all the personal trainers for the gym work out, before their client appointments. That is not the problem. The problem is they are obnoxious. Screaming, and throwing weights, and generally acting like idiots.

Every time I witness this spectacle, I am reminded of the scene in "Dodgeball" where White is working out and then they are all "Look at the show. Look at the show."

This morning, I came into the free weights section, and there they all were, grunting and heaving and yelling like women in labor. I tried to drown them out with my music, but it was impossible and I very visibly eye-rolled. Another patron saw me, and started laughing. I said, "Oops sorry, I guess I should not do that in publc." He said, "No, no. We all find it very annoying."

So, here is the advice part......Should I mention something to management about how the trainers workouts are intruding on everyone else's workout time? Or do I and everyone else just suck it up, and tolerate it?

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    I would definately report it to management - this behaviour should not be tolerated.
    After all, you pay for the privalege, if it were you making a scene, wouldn't they take you to one side and give you a warning?
    I know my gym would. Hope this helps, don't let them grind you down.
    878.gif:wink:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    I usually like to workout in the morning, because the gym is less crowded and I get my workout done early, andI don't have to think about it anymore.

First clock them on the head 114.gif and then turn them in.
    I would say something because that's rude and they should all know better. That would be even worse if you are paying for a membership there. SAY SOMETHING!!!!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    OK OK Violence doesn't always solve the problem.

Curious, have you mentioned to them that they are disrupting your work?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Personally, I think I would do something about it. Whether it is reporting it to management or talking to them personally. Maybe it would help your cause if you got some of the other people to back you up on it, too. You can't be the only one annoyed by the White Goodmans of the gym.

Oh, and one more thing..."no one makes me bleed my own blood." HA! Love that movie. :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    What did you do?!?!? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personally, I would take the easy approach and talk to management. Make them tell the trainers to tone down the attitude.

Have you ever thought these guys might be strutting like a peacock for you though? :huh: Maybe the more they grunt and groan, the more attractive they think they are? (Lord knows, if we could only explain it to them....)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    As someone who has done powerlifting in the past, I sometimes give people the benefit of the doubt about being loud. When you're pressing so much that your elbows might break before your chest fatigues. some grunting happens unconsciously. Or, when lactic acid has built up to the point that your eyes are watering, some long, moany-grunts happen unconsciously. Oly lifting often ends with an uncontrolled drop for some lifts simply because it's dangerous to lower them in a controlled manner--if you just snatched 450 over your head, your shoulders are done, and trying to finish that in a tidy way will result in you either crushing your skull or sternum.

That said, if they're not red-faced and sweaty and lifting with a spotter because they're working so intensely, there's no reason to be loud.

Sure, it's irritating. I DID it, and I still get irritated at times, but only by people that are obviously not working hard enough to make such a scene. But am I going to care about a dude yelling if he's benching 405? No, I'll be cheering him on.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    tumblr_mvyc4uSTQ81rt8levo5_500.gif
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    tumblr_mvyc4uSTQ81rt8levo5_500.gif
    For what purpose???? :anguished:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I would definitely report this to management. If these clowns can't even practice basic gym etiquette, why would they entrust them to train clients in their gym?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I would definitely report this to management. If these clowns can't even practice basic gym etiquette, why would they entrust them to train clients in their gym?

You realize the post is from 2008, right? Wendy won't be reading your reply.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

You realize the post is from 2008, right? Wendy won't be reading your reply.

:)