Weigh EVERYTHING you can!

jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So, I've always been good about measuring & logging my food. However, like many of you, I've been using the values for the servings sizes that are listed in the MFP database.... 1 medium size banana, 5 asparagus spears, 10 raspberries, etc.

However, by the advice of one of my MFP friends (Thanks, TrainerRobin!), I've been trying to measure & log what I can by weight in grams. And because of this, I've recently discovered that I've been UNDER estimating some of the foods that I eat! :mad: This doesn't sound like a big deal, right? I mean, I've saved myself from eating those calories, right? Well, this makes me mad because when 1) you LOVE to eat like I do and 2) you are trying to monitor nutrients, like grams of fiber, I've been selling myself short!

Example #1
I log 10 spears of asparagus for 50 calories. But, when you measure out in grams: 250g = 50 calories That's a HUGE pile of aspargus! And I've been eating HALF of the grams of fiber that I thought I was!

Example #2
I log 1 Cutie (aka clementine or small tangerine) for 40 calories because the serving size says 2 cuties = 80 calories. However, when I weigh them out in grams, I can actually eat 2 of them for 40 calories!

So, don't OVER estimate or UNDER estimate what you are eating; weigh everything! And if you add a new food to the database, PLEASE add the serving size in grams if you can!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    After reading so many posts about food scales, i am definately buying one in the next few days. I love my food.
  • jamie1888
    After reading so many posts about food scales, i am definately buying one in the next few days. I love my food.

I even bought a little one to keep at my desk at work so I'm rarely caught off guard! :bigsmile:
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    And if you add a new food to the database, PLEASE add the serving size in grams if you can!

I SO agree with this statement!!! I also weigh EVERYTHING and it is so much easier if items are listed with weight too.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my scale!!
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Same here! I'm there thinking "oh, that looks like half a cup of turkey" And it's actually like 30 grams (less than a 1/4 cup)... I do try to add the grams, good suggestion.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    good to know, I'm pretty bad at guessing things too!... and if it's the same trainerrobin I have as a friend, she's really great for helping out!!:flowerforyou:
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    I completely agree. While measuring helps, it can still be a little off. I've wanted to buy a scale for awhile... any cheap ones that are reliable?
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    http://www.target.com/Taylor-Kitchen-Scale-White-lb/dp/B000BH3PE0/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton
    got this one at target the other day and it is awesome.

you can turn it on then set your plate on it, then hit the on button again and it will reset to zero then you place your food on the plate and it will only count the food and not the weight of the dish.
  • jamie1888
    I have this one at home:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17290339
    I like it because it has the little piece that pulls out; so if you use a big place or bowl, you can still see the display!

I have this one at work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-4-4lb/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_18?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1302744816&sr=1-18
    It's fine for work use. But, I don't like that I have to flip it over to change from ounces to grams
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Curious...how do you know if the weight of the clementine is with or without the rinds? I've been eating them a lot lately because they're so good and low in calories.
  • jamie1888
    good to know, I'm pretty bad at guessing things too!... and if it's the same trainerrobin I have as a friend, she's really great for helping out!!:flowerforyou:

Yes, one in the same Robin! :wink:
  • jamie1888
    Curious...how do you know if the weight of the clementine is with or without the rinds? I've been eating them a lot lately because they're so good and low in calories.

Well, I'm assuming you use the grams for the edible portion. I wouldn't measure 100g of banana and then peel it. I'd peel it, then measure it.
  • jamie1888

Eat them up now while you can! I just read that Clementine season is November to April! :cry:
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149

Eat them up now while you can! I just read that Clementine season is November to April! :cry:

:noway: GASP! I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    I really need one so thx for the links everyone!
  • Bump* Really got me convinced to buy a scale! Can anyone give me some good examples of what to weigh? Even for on the go items?
  • jamie1888
    I weigh just about everything that I can! If I'm not weighing something, it's something like a sandwich thin (bun) or tortilla, etc that should already be weighed out correctly with the info on the package. But, last night, when I was preparing my lunch for today, the can of salmon I used said it had approx. 3 servings in it; which would have weighed 6 ounces. However, I weighed the contents of the can and found it only had 5 ounces. So, weighing everything, even packages that SHOULD be correct isn't a bad idea if you want accuracy! Even the protein bar that I ate today weighed a few more grams than the package said it should!
  • carlynishere
    I have this one at work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-4-4lb/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_18?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1302744816&sr=1-18
    It's fine for work use. But, I don't like that I have to flip it over to change from ounces to grams

Must be the same one I have at home. I hate that you have to flip it over to change from ounces to grams. I weigh most everyhing on grams now and just convert it to ounces as needed. For example, I always weigh my baked potatoes using ounces since that's how I log it here.
  • carlynishere
    Bump* Really got me convinced to buy a scale! Can anyone give me some good examples of what to weigh? Even for on the go items?

I weigh everything...lettuce for my salads, chicken for my salads, potatoes, shredded cheese, dressings, marinades, sour cream, cream cheese, snack chips, crackers, etc.

I cannot figure out how to weigh my corn that comes from a can, so I measure it with a cup.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    My food scale is a blessing. I don' t know how I'd ever measure meats and pastas without it!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    That is one thing that drives me nuts about MFP, so i try to def. enter my own stuff in my food part. Or make my own because i have the label right there in front of me. and I LOVE MY FOOD SCALE!!!
This discussion has been closed.