I'm not starving

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first post but I have been a member for over a year. I just wanted to say that I don't believe in starvation mode at all. I have been eating between 800 and 900 calories since the start of the year and I have been consistently losing weight the whole time. I feel so much better than when I ate crap all day and ate a ton. I really make healthy decisions, I take vitamins every day and I eat when I'm hungry. I never let myself feel hungry, I always have snacks around. I eat at least 5 times a day, just smaller portions and healthier food. I exercise almost every day, but just walking my dog and belly dancing. I have not reached a plateau, I have not gained weight, I have not made myself ill in any way. I feel wonderful! I think this is the right amount of calories that my body needs to feel healthy and still lose weight, so I am not doing anything wrong. My doctors are very happy with my weight loss and don't think I am doing anything wrong either.

So those of you who want to lose weight but are scared of the starvation mode myth.. I'm proof that it doesn't exist. You just have to make healthy choices and don't eat any junk!

Please no rude comments!! Thanks all!! :)

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    All I say it,to each their own. All you've proved is that maybe YOU wouldn't go into starvation mode below 1200 calories.
    I was in starvation mode myself once,and all it took for me was a couple months of restricting myself below 1000 calories.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think everyone is different and there bodys react in different ways. Im glad u have found what works for u though xxx
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Without being rude I agree everyone is different, also in my late teens/early twenties I could not eat much for a couple of weeks and my weight would drop off no problem. Late twenties and post pregnancy sooooo much harder x
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Definitely think that's true! Everyone needs a different amount of calories a day! Someone who is 6 foot needs a hell of a lot more than a tiny 5 foot person! & when I was 16 I could eat so much without putting on anything and even though I'm only 21 now there is a BIG difference! This is why it annoys me when I see 'government guidelines' saying you should eat 2000 calories a day! If I ate that I would end up looking like a house! My metabolism is too slow! It's good you found what works for you!

:flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    to each there own. but from an experience i had in 2009 don't be surpised if you pass out one day. I ended up in the hospital, my face completly blue, unable to speak, my sugar level down to I believe it was a 26 and my bp also dropped dangerously low. That was from malnutrient. I didn't realize that I wasn't eating enough.

But hey, then again I was training hard @ the gym and working 2 jobs. So to each their own and maybe your body will be fine.
  • starboardzor
    Options

So those of you who want to lose weight but are scared of the starvation mode myth.. I'm proof that it doesn't exist. You just have to make healthy choices and don't eat any junk!

Please no rude comments!! Thanks all!! :)

Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't have diabetes, for instance, but that doesn't mean diabetes isn't real. I think it's important for everyone to carefully find their balance and learn where the line exists so they don't cross it. You found what works for you, which is all this site is asking people to do for themselves.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Definitely think that's true! Everyone needs a different amount of calories a day! Someone who is 6 foot needs a hell of a lot more than a tiny 5 foot person! & when I was 16 I could eat so much without putting on anything and even though I'm only 21 now there is a BIG difference! This is why it annoys me when I see 'government guidelines' saying you should eat 2000 calories a day! If I ate that I would end up looking like a house! My metabolism is too slow! It's good you found what works for you!

:flowerforyou:

OI Im a tiny 5foot person!! hehe :) xx
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If I go below 1100 cals per day I feel lethargic, unmotivated, and generally very unhealthy (I stick to at least 1200 now as I felt so crap if I was any lower!)

So it wouldn't work for me.... And I would certainly not advocate people go down this route.

As other's say OP just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for other people. If it did then surely the whole dieting industry would suggest we all go down to 800 - 900 cals per day to lose weight :-(
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree that everyone is different. 800-900 calories is not enough for most people, and even people who stick to 1200/day are considered "extreme". I went a week averaging 800-900 calories (I was trying >100g of carbs a day) and didn't lose anything. The next day I ate 1600+ calories and lost a pound at the same time.
  • lilchubbybunny
    Options
    i must agree ive never experianced this "starvation mode" perhaps it is because i always ate too much to come close so starving? lol since i became vegan, yes i eat a ton less. I went from eating around 2,500 to now i eat around 1,000. I dont starve at all. So the question is, can you really go into "starvation mode" if your not starving???
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe this "starvation mode" thing either. I would starve on 1200 calories, though. Prison camps give people 700 calories to starve them to death. You may destroy your body eating less, but you will lose weight.

Not saying you're destroying your body. It would destroy mine, though :)
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to tell people to eat like this, I understand for a tall person it wouldn't be healthy. I just don't think people should fear it so much.

Thanks everyone for your support!!

Btw I am 5'5" and 21 years old. I never ate much in high school but I never counted calories either. When I look back, I am probably doing the same thing now that I did then with the calories. So maybe it's because my body is just used to it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm only 5'2 I ate 1200 (sometimes less) and did not eat back my exercise calories. I lost 50lbs, worked for me too!