Is too much protein bad for weight loss?

Options
Okay, I have been trying to figure this out. . . I've read-up online about it, and still don't feel confident that I understand fully.

Is eating too much protein counter-productive to losing weight? I eat a protein bar in the morning, protein shake for a snack and often eat other forms of protein througout the day, ie: chicken, cheese, nuts, etc.

Does too much protein aid in weight loss or can it be working against me? At the end of the day, is it truly all about total calories in vs. calories out?

Thanks for any feedback!~ :)

Replies

• amdrummer02
    amdrummer02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I've read and heard protein helps you feel fuller because it doesn't digest as quickly as carbs, so the more protein you eat, the fuller you will feel and the less you will eat. I usually eat plenty of protein in my diet and its been working for me.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My stats say I am normally over my daily protein allowance (but under on carbs, sodium and fat) and I have been fine with consistantly losing.

However I only get protein through my food and do not take any 'extra' protein through shakes / bars etc...
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'll second what amdrunner said. Protein is helpful as an appetite suppressant and is also essential for helping build and repair muscles after working out and just general wear and tear. I am constantly over on my protein, but always under on my carbohydrates and that has been a successful weight loss formula for me.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been talking to a weight loss coach lately and she is trying to push me to have more protein (shakes and bars etc) so i dont think it will be detremental to your weight loss...unless your having body builder amounts which im guessing your not :)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've read eat 1g for each pound of your goal weight, which at least for me, is way above MFP's numbers....sometimes I don't make it there but that's my aim. And likewise, every meal or snack should have some protein (slice of turkey w/apple, nut butter w/veggies, cheese w/carb, yogurt w/fruit) and not just the fruit or carb alone....
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Your body actually burns more calories digesting protein than either carbs or fats, that's why it helps you stay fuller for longer. Protein is also essential for providing your muscles with the nutrients they need to repair themselves after working out. I'm sure at some point too much protein could be detrimental to your diet, but I highly doubt you'll reach that point (plus I'm sure you'd start to feel sick to your stomach before you reached a protein overload - think of eating dozens of eggs for example).

I think MFP overestimates carbs and underestimates protein and fiber. I'm always over my suggested protein. If you're doing high impact workouts, definitely don't worry about overeating protein, because your body needs it!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Assuming you stay within your calorie limits, the only proven effect of excess protein in your diet has to do with kidney function, and even that is only problematic if your kidneys aren't healthy to start with; it has not been proven to harm kidneys.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I try to get at leat 40% of my calories from protein. Personally, I think that is KEY is achieving weight loss and keeping it off. :-)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Body builders eat 30% of their diet as protein. Many people trying to lose weight try to eat their lean body mass in protein (pounds to grams).
  • marissa_arango
    Options
    I just joined my fitness pal too. Its awesome how it tracks everything. I also normally have excess protein but low on carbs and fat, so hopefully it works out for me like it has for you.