Cheaper Grocery List??

Options
2»

Replies

• RickFulcher
    Options
    banquet tv dinners are a little help for people on the go most dinners are under 500 calories
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is any more expensive to shop when you are eating a healthy diet, but then our diet was always based on home cooked meals, it was the extras (biscuits, chips, icecream) that put the weight on. I never buy processed 'diet' meals as I don't think you get enough bang for your buck, but they would be good in an emergency.

Stay away from processed stuff and plan plan plan. Planning what you are going to eat stops impulse purchases and extra trips to the supermarket in which things mysteriously appear in your trolley that you don't really want in your mouth ;-)

GG
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I am also a fan of the farmers market here in Sarnia (ON).

I find it cheaper than the grocery store--especially the organic. I can buy enough for the week and not waste anything. Our farmers market has literally everything--including my weekly treat (deep fried spring roll--I have to work out twice as hard but sooo worth it!)

And you should always spring for local honey-my allergies have disappeared and it satisfies my sweet cravings.

If farmers markets aren't an option for you (I'm lucky, ours is open all year), once you stop buying the packaged garbage the cost balances. Of course it's more expensive if all you're buying are lean cuisines and other name brand boxes of sodium.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Farmer's markets are great, but you can do better sometimes if you go to the farm itself. We find cheap, CHEAP vegetables in roadside stands, many of them are unattended, and you pay via the honor system. Even when we leave a little extra cash it's still the cheapest (and often the freshest and best) vegetables we buy.

Also, we belong to a local CSA, where we buy a share of a farm. It's a risk because you pay the same price whether the farm has a boon year or a complete crop failure, but all summer long we get a bushel of vegetables (a great variety) and the benefit of supporting a farmer who's doing it right, all organic, all heirloom varieties.

You can go to www.localharvest.org to find information on farms, farmers' markets and CSAs.
  • brapuk
    brapuk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One thing i have learned to do is use coupons!! I went shopping last weekend and got over 100 dollars worth the stuff for 60 bucks! Our sales papers come in on wednesdays as well as some coupons. On Sunday i go buy 3 or 4 papers "they also have coupons" Then I plan our meals around what i have put away and what is on sale. I take my whole book of coupon and just write the date they came in on the front then file them away. Once a week i go to couponmom.com and they will list what your local stores have on sale and if there is a coupon to match it they have the date that coupon came in on so all you have to do is go to your files pull that 1 2 or 3 out and go shopping. I know you said your busy and this seems like alot, but if you dedicate a little time in one of your evenings youll only have to do it once a week and save some money. Btw im not one of those extreme couponers. But im sure i save us 100 to 150 per month, and that adds up! I also enjoy going to our local farmers market ours grows almost everything there and what they dont they get within a 20mile radius.