How long did it take to start seeing results?

Options
I was wondering how long it took people to start seeing results...

If you look at my food log this week I went over almost everyday, but it was my birthday and I hated telling people who hadn't seen me in a long time no to taking me out to dinner.

Yet, the week before I thought I did everything right. I ate only 1,200 calories and hit the gym everyday.

I didn't see any changes (weight or tone) at all other then my energy improve just alittle.

So I was just wondering, how long did it take for you to start seeing results while eating correctly and working out?

Replies

• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I noticed my face thinning out around 10lbs down and I noticed a difference in the rest of my body around 20lbs down. This is a process and everyone is different, we didn't gain overnight and we wont lose it that quickly either... Stick with this, check out the success section of the posts, this works you just have to be patient.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    After about a week and a half, my energy was up an amazing amount! I need less sleep, and it seems to be better quality sleep. I also feel more feminine, and more confident already! Can't wait to fit into cute little dresses!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I noticed after about 10lbs. It seriously took about 50lbs for others to say something to me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food log, so I don't know how you're eating. But I saw big results within like 10 days of starting to track my calories, which surprised me, but I had already started working out a few days a week before joining MFP to track my calories, and I made pretty significant changes to my diet. It was easier than I thought, but it takes more planning and preparation. I continue to lose steadily and happily (and NOT hungrily lol...that's probably not really a word) and I can see changes in my body.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    2 weeks after eating correctly and working out. Lost 5 pounds and that was 4 months ago. I haven't looked back. Each month is a little improvement and that keeps me going.
  • Mommyto3inAz
    Options
    I am assuming you haven't lost any weight yet? Hang in there, the same thing happened to me--it took almost 3 weeks before the scale budged :(
  • jisabelle
    jisabelle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started to notice in the first 2 weeks but after a month and a half people started to notice and I could not only see it but also feel the diference. Everyone is diferent. Keep at it and good luck.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I noticed feeling different after about a week of eating right and exercising. I have more energy during the day, I sleep better at night and just feel better about everything overall. Honestly I hardly ever weigh myself, but I have gone from a size 22 to 20 and even put on a pair of old size 18's today (they were a little tight) so obviously I am losing, I just don't know exactly how much. But even though my clothes tell me I've lost weight I honestly don't see much of a difference, except that I am starting to develop some muscle tone.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you haven't lost any weight yet? Hang in there, the same thing happened to me--it took almost 3 weeks before the scale budged :(

Basically, I didn't expect it to happen right away. Yet, when I did my weigh-in at the gym yesterday and tonight I was in face 1pd heavier then when I started.

Which damn near broke my heart.

I used to eat fast food everyday. I mean like probably close to like 2,500 cal a day. I have not eaten nearly that in over two weeks. Plus, I was completely stationary with a desk job and no activity. I have been going to the gym every day mon-friday.

Yet I gained a pound. I seriously felt disheartened
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You'll notice some changes within the next couple of weeks ;)
    No, Really! LOL!

Seriously, the scales will argue with you for every salty thing which passes your lips and for each day that your body is slow to digestion!

Drink more water. Eat more fiber foods :)

Respect what your body can and can't do right now this second. If you know you're pushing yourself too hard... back off!
    Start slow. Add a little bit more when you're able.
    Remember the cool down and stretching is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!! in preventing soreness.

Be proud of every single darn accomplishment you do! (If you can't or won't be proud of your accomplishments... then who will?)

In the beginning, it should all be pretty easy, yet kind of a little bit of a pain in the rear as you realize there's fat in the way of letting you do things you want to do. Rest the next day. Work out the next. Alternate work out days, then rest days.

Know this... you can do it :)
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Take measurements too, I noticed inches were coming off faster than lbs.... Also keep in mind this isn't an exact science, it's not a one size fits all and sometimes you have to play with your calories, believe it or not you have to eat to lose. There are other posts on this same topic as well, try searching for them and maybe you will find what your looking for. Bottom line, believe you can do it and you will! :smile:
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    hang in there! my weight has been very slow to come off. i have only lost 13kg (about 30lbs) since September last year. i try to remind myself if i hadnt of done anything id prob be 5-10kgs heavier rather than 13kgs lighter. a slow pace is better in the long run for keeping it off.
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Basically, I didn't expect it to happen right away. Yet, when I did my weigh-in at the gym yesterday and tonight I was in face 1pd heavier then when I started.

Which damn near broke my heart.

I used to eat fast food everyday. I mean like probably close to like 2,500 cal a day. I have not eaten nearly that in over two weeks. Plus, I was completely stationary with a desk job and no activity. I have been going to the gym every day mon-friday.

Yet I gained a pound. I seriously felt disheartened

I totally feel your pain. I started exercising last June and worked my way up to the strength training I started in December. I didn't have a scale but figured I weighed about 200 at my highest. I started MFP in January and didn't weigh myself for weeks, then was shocked to see that I was at 197. It took FOREVER to lose 5 pounds from there, too - I was so discouraged! But I had been noticing my clothes were fitting better all along. I am at (about) 20 pounds down now, including however much muscle weight I've added, and not many people have said anything to me about it. The best advice I've been given (by my husband) was to pick a pair of jeans that were tight before and monitor my progress with how they feel every time I wear them. Sometimes the differences seemed pretty slight...But now the pants that never got put in the dryer and were still super-tight hang off of me ( I look like a total slob when I wear them so I am going to have to let them go and use a smaller pair of jeans as my yard stick, I guess!)

Hang in there! The scale will beat you down at first. Just remember that that same muscle that is coming across as a weight gain right now will burn about twice the number of calories than the same amount of fat, so don't let it get to you :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I began my weight loss journey almost five years ago, I had lost around 30 pounds before anyone noticed that I had lost much weight. Part of that was my issue, though, because I refused to buy new clothes, so it took a new pair of jeans that actually fit before anyone really noticed. And then, the people who noticed the most were the ones who didn't see me on a regular basis. In fact, my brother told a cousin that the first time he saw me after I'd lost some weight, he didn't even recognize me.....and that has happened more than once. :happy:

Don't get discouraged if people that see you all the time don't see the progress.....base it off of how your clothes are fitting, how you are feeling, and how people you don't see often react.

Good luck,
    Kaye
  • live4something
    live4something Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and started at 226lbs. It took me about 15lbs to start noticing a slight difference in the way my clothes fit. It took me about 45lbs before people really started commenting on my weight loss.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just found out that muscles that are recovering from workout (lifting weights or strength training in general) retain water. So I did 30day shred for a week and gained two lbs!

According to the folks on here, that weight should drop off after a while as my body gets used to the workouts, and it's not fat weight, mostly just water.

I saw results after a couple of weeks to a month, my weight was slowly going down. I used to do weight training at the gym before switching over to 30 day shred (trying to save money on gym membership!) Since the shred workouts, my arms are getting more toned although there is still a lot of fat on there, so you don't see it much hehehe ;) I can tell there's muscle on my legs and arms and even my abs cause if I press in I can feel it and it's easier for me to do things....but the fat covers it so you don't see it :P

I know once the fat goes down more though , those muscles will start to show!

Keep going! Some weeks are better than others. Be sure to do plenty of research. I was really depressed about those two lbs until I read about the water retention, cause I'd been eating well and walking like 5 miles a day XD

Good luck!

p.s. Last night I did way more push ups than I did 7 days ago! So I am seeing a difference there too :D
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    With dieting it takes a while.
    But if you combine it with excercise you'll start feeling better within a couple weeks and probably see "changes" even if its just in your head.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    At 4 weeks, I was able to button my (used to be) tight-fitting pants and pull them up without doing the "dance" to get them up over my thighs. haha.

Don't know that i could SEE the difference, but felt it that day.
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    You'll notice small changes over time. Though I've not lost much weight since I started this, 2 years ago I did lose 30 pounds [and gained it all back]. Within that 30 pounds I lost, over time I noticed my face got thinner, My pants were falling down unless I wore a belt, My arms looked thinner, I could fit into smaller shirts, etc. People really noticed my weight loss when I finally had bought new pants instead of wearing my "fat pants" with belts.

Ahh I need to lose that weight again lol. It was such a great feeling.