Chocolate Cream Eggs

Options
dls06
dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
I found this on Bob Green's Best Life newsletter

CHOCOLATE CREAM EGGS
½ cup mashed potatoes, plain (no pepper/other herbs)
1 stick of Smart Balance® 50/50 Buttery Sticks
1 tsp vanilla
2 lbs of powdered sugar
12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (You will only use about 2/3.)
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes and Smart Balance® Buttery Stick. Make sure ahead of time they have come to room temperature so that they will easily mix together.
Stir in the vanilla.
Add the powdered sugar and slowly mix all together. It will eventually come together like a moist dough. Place in the refrigerator for about an hour to harden.
Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into egg shapes. Place on waxed paper on a cookie sheet and return to the refrigerator for 3 hours, until firm.
Once the eggs are firm, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until smooth.
Now you will need to cover the eggs in the chocolate. Line another cookie sheet with waxed paper. The best way to cover the eggs is to use a pastry brush/basting brush. Place the egg upside down in your palm and brush the chocolate on the bottom of the egg. Place the egg onto the waxed paper chocolate side down. Cover the top of the egg, making sure you cover all of the egg. You can try to make a fancy pattern with the brush if you want! Cover all 4 eggs and return to the refrigerator to set.
To serve, it is best to let the egg come to room temperature so that the chocolate shell does not crack when you cut it.
Makes 4 eggs. Each egg serves 16. Number of servings: 64 total
Calories: 87
Fat: 2g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Trans Fatty Acid: 0g
Poly Fat: 0g
Mono Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 2mg
Sodium: 17mg
Carbohydrates: 17g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Total Sugars: 16g
Protein: 0g
print

Replies

• tourmaline11
    tourmaline11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    wow...i just can't imagine it! I keep thinking chocolate covered mashed potatoes...
    I hope someone will post if they have made these and what the consistency is like!
  • tifffanyD
    tifffanyD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine trying to cut an egg into 16 pieces. It doesn't sound like each piece would be very big! So no wonder such low calories - LOL. Lots of sugar in that too
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Interesting is right? ?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Pictures??
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    That sounds utterly TERRIBLE!!!!!! I get what he is trying to do but sugary, vanilla, buttered mashed potatoes rolled in chocolate does not sound all that good. I like sweets, which is how I ended up on MFP, but no thank you. and a half a cup of mashed potato is about 2 ounces, then mix in the butter and sugar you are going to end up with teeny tiny mashed potato eggs, so 1/16th is going to be very, very small.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ... mashed potatoes and chocolate? Yuck.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Id rather splurge for 63 calories and eat a standard cadburry cream egg. <that is, if they weren't disgusting>

Each egg serves 16? What?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Id rather splurge for 63 calories and eat a standard cadburry cream egg. <that is, if they weren't disgusting>

The caramel ones are definitely worth the 170 calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I would totally eat these. Chocolate & potatoes is a good combo imo.

How tiny is that creme egg? The 34 g Oreo one is 180 calories.

• mweckler
    Options
    So I have to chime back in again, because my rage over tainting chocolate with potatoes can not be silenced. As a chef I understand the reason behind trying to use the mashed potatoes as a binding agent. But just because you can use something, does not mean you should use it. So there is a South American sweet potato called the boniato, that is the potato I would use for this, if I were twisted enough to do it. It would cut down on the amount of powdered sugar you would need to add, and with it being naturally sweet, it would not have that odd potato, powdered sugar taste to it. In place of the smart balance buttery stick I would find something with a little less chemically taste to it, like a small amount of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature. As for coating it in chocolate I still can not imagine chocolate covered mashed potatoes.
  • mweckler
    Options

Each egg is cut into 16 equal servings so the yield on the recipe is 64 servings total. But a half a cup of mashed potatoes in about 4 ounces, which is about an ounce of mixture per egg. So that is a very small portion.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »

Each egg is cut into 16 equal servings so the yield on the recipe is 64 servings total. But a half a cup of mashed potatoes in about 4 ounces, which is about an ounce of mixture per egg. So that is a very small portion.

I suppose it was more a statement of bewilderment vs an actual question. lol.
    Im SMH at the thought of biting into this 1/16th of a mashed potato cream egg.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Here you all go I made dessert, now don't eat this sliver of chocolate covered mashed potatoes all at once. I do not know why this recipe bothers me so much lol. Also there is not cream how can you call it a cream egg? Quit trying to fool people with your terrible mashed potato dessert.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »

I suppose it was more a statement of bewilderment vs an actual question. lol.
    Im SMH at the thought of biting into this 1/16th of a mashed potato cream egg.

This literally made me LOL.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    O.o'

o.O'

No. Just no.
    Dieting doesn't have to be that hard. Have a smaller piece of the real thing. You'll be happier.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Does not sound appealing at all. I got all excited to talk about Cadbury's Easter Cream Eggs and then got very disappointed when I saw "potato"

ymzg4v1sbcst.jpg
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I'll pass.
    I'd rather eat 87 calories' worth of expensive Belgian chocolate, which tastes like Heaven and is too rich and expensive to allow me to get more than a couple of bites.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Of all the convoluted ways to mutate perfectly good foods just for the sake of labeling it 'healthier' (I'm looking at you cauliflower pizza crusts and banana nice cream) this one really takes the cake. I mean, the iced watermelon pseudocake.