Losing the Baby Weight

Options
I'm mom to an almost 6 month old and I'm trying really hard to lose weight. I gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy and started out already overweight. Since the birth, I have only dropped 20 lbs (from water weight) and haven't been successful at losing any more. I have been exercising pretty faithfully (Zumba 1 hour a day and walking 2 miles with baby in a sling) but no good seems to have come of it! I seem to be gaining weight. So I started counting my calories so maybe I'll have some success?

Any other moms had problems losing the weight while nursing?

Replies

• FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I still have 40 lbs on me from Baby #1. She will be 8 this year :-(
    Welcome!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Some people get lucky and lose weight easier while nursing... I was not one of the lucky ones! I gained a crap load of weight AFTER having my baby (who is also 6 months old). However, after having my twins (almost 2 years old now), I dropped a BUNCH of weight! So I have no idea why it is the way it is, but you are doing wonderful exercising! Counting your calories along with the exercise will definately help!

Keep up the good work and you will see results! :happy:
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    I think that keeping track of your calories will help you a lot! I went from being pretty innactive, to running on average 6 days a week, and I haven't seen my weight go down dramatically yet, but I have lost fat and gained muscle and my clothes are looser. I would recommend measuring your body and taking before pictures, so that if the scale doesn't go down as fast as you want, you will have another way of seeing your progress. Good luck to you!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I didn't even bother while I was still nursing. I didn't start losing the baby weight till after I was done. Keeping a food diary will help though. You can see where your calories are coming from and be sure to add 500 in a day for nursing. Want to keep baby happy!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I still have 40 lbs on me from Baby #1. She will be 8 this year :-(
    Welcome!
    Ha! It took me 5 years, 10 months and 2 days to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight :-)

Who are these mother's who take it right off?
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    most important part of losing weight is your diet. once you have that under control the pounds should come off pretty easily.

good luck.
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I nursed for 12 months. I dropped 30 lbs in the first three months. But when my supply seemed to be getting low I had to up my calories. I even gained back the 30 lbs. :-( For me nursing was more important than being thin again. So I didn't force myself to get back in shape. I however secretly couldn't wait til I was done so I could begin dieting. The day after his last nursing I began working out and dieting again! They say it takes 9 months to gain so it should take 9 months to lose it.

If you watch your calories and exercise regularly. This site has really helped me and motivates me to keep it up.
    Good luck!
  • Jennadawinna
    Jennadawinna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm having the same problem. I barely even lost any water weight because of extreme water retention. 6 weeks after birth I was only 10 lbs down. So I definitely understand about stubborn pregnancy pounds. Hopefully counting calories will work for me as well.
  • FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    They must be the ones with personal trainers and a nutritionist. Or they have really good genes!
  • Cello2007
    Cello2007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Must be the personal trainers! Funny how I was told that the weight should just fall off through just nursing and eating regularly and exercise. Guess this baby fat is just a little stubborn!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old. With my first i lost all but 10 pounds while nursing. Then when i stopped nursing the final ten literally fell off in a week. Weight is coming off a lot slower this time with my 2 month old. Im nursing this time as well so my mini goal is to get with in 10 pounds of my prepregnancy weight. Best of luck to you!!!
  • KristynStephens15
    Options
    Yes! I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old. With my first i lost all but 10 pounds while nursing. Then when i stopped nursing the final ten literally fell off in a week. Weight is coming off a lot slower this time with my 2 month old. Im nursing this time as well so my mini goal is to get with in 10 pounds of my prepregnancy weight. Best of luck to you!!!
  • KristynStephens15
    Options
    Hi. I'm having the same problem. I barely even lost any water weight because of extreme water retention. 6 weeks after birth I was only 10 lbs down. So I definitely understand about stubborn pregnancy pounds. Hopefully counting calories will work for me as well.

same here, i was so puffy after my csection i was only down 4lbs 2 weeks after having my son!! dang water!!