Is this good or bad.

Options
I have been talking about loseing weight and eating healthier so much this week. Then I went and bought a scale yesterday. My son is 6 and a little bean pole, yet he keeps getting on my scale to see if he has lost weight, and talking about how he needs to lose weight and get healthy and this and that, is this normal for my son to be talking like this?

Replies

• binsylad
    binsylad Posts: 99
    Options
    Good Opportunity to Educate in the right way - My six year old tries to do the 30 day Shred!!

Mike ./ UK
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Getting healthy is always good. Why not explain what that means to him (healthy food choices, exercise, and growning and gaining weight). I would also explain that getting healthy may mean different things to different people, but that eating right and exercising are always good. Maybe show him the food pyramid, etc. and help him set goals. . .
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    true, its jus I am afraid of having one of those weight crazed kids that grows up with an eating disorder
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not really. It might be best to put the scale away and not mention weight loss in front of him for a while?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only issue is him thinking he has to lose weight. As someone already mentioned, use it to talk to him about being healthy. You may also need to adjust your own self talk about needing to get in shape, rather than losing weight. The scale is one of your meters, but shouldn't be the whole point.
  • zenchik115
    zenchik115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i think he looks up to his mom and is "copying" what he sees...lots of kids his age do that. Maybe change your words a little around him...instead of talking about the weight factor focus more on becoming healthy...eating right...taking care of your body...living longer...those are all positives that you want to pass on to him...I think you can take this as an opportunity to instill great habits at a young age. Sounds like you have your own personal cheering section at home and that he can be a great positive thing to have around.... encourage him to help you cook healthy things, make it a game to find healthy things at the grocery store...you could turn your weight loss challenge into a family event and make becoming healthy a great thing in his eyes too! Good luck!
  • kbeatty1015
    kbeatty1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have two little boys (four and one). I don't let them see me weigh. I know that I am a little obsessive when it comes down to weighing, and I don't want them to have a weight complex. I do eat a little healthier than they do, but at least I know that I'm setting a good example. My oldest son does do the 30 Day Shred with me too, but I tell him that it will make him big and strong like his Daddy. Hopefully, I'm giving them the right model to follow. My mom and dad both constantly struggled with their weight growing up and unfortunately, this led me to struggle with my own weight and have low self-esteem, as well as bad eating/dieting habits. I'm hoping that my boys grow up with good role models for food and exercise.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I get your concern. He's just picked up your concerns and sorta trying to be just like mom......

so I agree, educate about proper and healthy eating and them down play the scale.......or use it to weigh his toys...like a game to take the emphasis off body weight.

he sounds like a cutie!!!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Honestly most children just mimic what they see or hear their role models (i.e. parents) do. If you are walking around talking about it and getting on your scale, then he wants to do it too. I agree with a previous poster and use it to instil a valuable lesson about eating healthy and exercising.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that education is important. My son needs to lose about 10 lbs but I don't want him to end up with issues either. I try to encourage fun exercise and healthy eating. Children tend to use us as a model for their behaviour so if you are dieting they will think that is what people do. So as long as you teach him that it is ok to try and get healthier, but not to be obsessed with it then it is a good thing.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't let my kids weigh themselves. I tell them to focus on being healthy and not to worry about the number on the scale.
  • angtodaycounts
    angtodaycounts Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I try to be really careful talking about my weight in front of my girls. I do try to help them understand that exercise is important for our bodies and that eating healthy helps our bodies grow strong. But I don't weigh myself in front of them because I don't want them to think that the number is the only important thing.
    Maybe try to limit how much you talk about in front of him.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. He told me on our walk today that he wants to start running with me because it will make me healthier and he wants to help me. He will get me his dannimal drinks out of the fridge and tell me I have to drink them because they will make me healthy. its cute.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree that your son is just looking up to mommy. I would say "mommy had all her iron today! yay! and she lost a pound...." Maybe putting the weightloss as an after thought to the nutritional information will help him see why you are doing this.