Never Done Strength Training

Options
I've never lifted a weight in my life. I'm currently doing Zumba several times a week and I love it. But... I'm curious about strength training. And how to make the most of my weight loss.

What are the benefits? How will it help me lose weight? Won't it just bulk me up?

How should I start "lifting" ... do I need fancy equipment?

I'd really like to get my arms in shape for this summer and obviously the rest of my body.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks--

Ashley

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you've never lifted in your life I would get the advice of a personal trainer before you start anything. They can show you what exercises to do and the proper form in which to do it with. Most gyms offer a complementary session or two, so if you belong to a gym I would ask.
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk if you use small weights like 3lb or 5lb and do lots of reps.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Resistance training builds your muscles, muscles burn calories, even at rest.

You won't bulk up. Professional bodybuilders work incredibly hard to look like that. Females naturally build long, lean muscles, which is why they tend to be more flexible than males.

I recommend that you start with resistance tubes. It won't hurt if you drop them on your toes and you actually have a little more control.

Start small - figure out one exercise for each muscle group and do the recommended reps, and just keep adding to the routine as you learn!

Oh, and you mentioned zumba - you should check and see if your gym has any strength/resistance classes!
  • astultz
    astultz Posts: 2
    Options
    Good advice. I dont plan on taking on an entire program.... yet. I just thought it might be good to lift small weights to go with cardio.

But... again... no knowledge of what to do or how often.

Maybe talking to a professional is the way to go!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Weight training reshapes your muscles and gives your body shape and definition. Instead of lookin "lean" you end up lookin "fit"

If you wanna get started check out a local gym. Explain to them that you've never done any weight training. They should help you get started with a 6 week plan of machine weights before you move on to the free weights. The machine weights will help you with form and help you get used to weight training.

Check around your area for personal trainers. If you have no idea what you are doin then you need to learn how to from someone who knows what they are doin.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Showing my age here, but I learned about simple strength training from a book similar to this one - as a matter of fact, as she mentions in the intro, it was her daughter's book "College Dorm Workout"

http://books.google.com/books?id=DIvWj_fNwdoC&pg=PT263&lpg=PT263&dq=15+minute+dorm+workout&source=bl&ots=5fkt_6cYVK&sig=FHFNo-HnNi3Et6JlxnMoDtcjlU8&hl=en&ei=ECynTeW2AdO5tgeYzbWFAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    Something I've been using to start my journey into strength training is a book by Lorna Kleidman - "Body Sculpting with Kettlebells for Women". Kettlebells are really a great way to go, imo, and something that works a lot of muscles at once. Her book lays out 3 six-week programs, going from beginner to advanced.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sorry but definitely not true. You're not doing yourself any favors by using practically nothing to lift and doing a million reps. Women can't bulk up. I repeat, WOMEN CANNOT BULK UP *unless they really really try*. It's nearly impossible for a woman to bulk up like a man; they just don't have enough of the hormones necessary for it.

You need to check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women. After I read that, it really opened up my eyes to why all women should lift real weights, not just "Barbie 'bells", and the positive effects it will have on your body and overall health.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sorry but definitely not true. You're not doing yourself any favors by using practically nothing to lift and doing a million reps. Women can't bulk up. I repeat, WOMEN CANNOT BULK UP *unless they really really try*. It's nearly impossible for a woman to bulk up like a man; they just don't have enough of the hormones necessary for it.

You need to check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women. After I read that, it really opened up my eyes to why all women should lift real weights, not just "Barbie 'bells", and the positive effects it will have on your body and overall health.

AGREED. Check out the "rules" book, its a nice beginner routine. You will have to start with lighter weights, but by the end of the 1st part (which is 12 weeks I think) you can graduate to wayyyyyy heavier ones.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I agree with all the posters who have said to have at least a session or two with a personal trainer.
    I *had* worked out with weights before, even used them during some of the cardio classes, but never picked up much of anything heavier than an 8# weight. I work with a trainer now and am using crazy heavy weights (for me), but don't have to spend very much time at it because it fatigues the muscles so quickly. We do a huge variety of things, but for the basics, it's usually a warm up set, then a set of 15, then a set of 15 with a 10 second isometric hold, and then a max set with a 15 second hold (if I even get that far at that weight)! LOL
    I am toning and firming but definitely not bulking up. I loved all of the cardio and bosu classes, but honestly was not seeing the results that I wanted, despite attending a class almost daily for more than a month.

Of course, the usual caveat...........it's about 80% nutrition and 20% exercising. ;-)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    weight training is the BEST!!! thing we women can do .... I dont know bout you but I want to look like fitness model not a stick thin model
    muscle is the quickest way to a hot, healthy body......you cant bulk up, we dont have the testosterone, women who bulk up use supplements or other stuff to help...

benefits of weigh training:

the more lean muscle you have the more your metabolism rises!
    weight lost is kept as oppose to cardio weight loss, you will gain it back if you start slipping
    you can "cheat more"
    hormones change for the better!
    you will get those sexy cuts
    you burn more calories doing nothing
    you dont have to do endless CARDIO!!!
    you dont need to workout for long periods...15 minutes will do as long as its intense...
    men will respect you more when you show those GUNS!!!, stick thin women will be jealous!!! LOL

You need to check out my girl Jackie Warner....shes helping me build my muscles!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    weight training is the BEST!!! thing we women can do .... I dont know bout you but I want to look like fitness model not a stick thin model
    muscle is the quickest way to a hot, healthy body......you cant bulk up, we dont have the testosterone, women who bulk up use supplements or other stuff to help...

benefits of weigh training:

the more lean muscle you have the more your metabolism rises!
    weight lost is kept as oppose to cardio weight loss, you will gain it back if you start slipping
    you can "cheat more"
    hormones change for the better!
    you will get those sexy cuts
    you burn more calories doing nothing
    you dont have to do endless CARDIO!!!
    you dont need to workout for long periods...15 minutes will do as long as its intense...
    men will respect you more when you show those GUNS!!!, stick thin women will be jealous!!! LOL

You need to check out my girl Jackie Warner....shes helping me build my muscles!!

ADDED BENEFIT : You won't be old and brittle!! No hunching over...you'll be strong and probably live longer because of it!
  • bibliophile21
    Options
    I was the same way, and I chose some videos that incorporated weights in a small amount. I don't know if you have Netflix or have checked out the topic on here about it, but it has some good videos that are available instantly. The 2 I've tried are 10 Minute Solutions: Kickboxing and Self: Slim & Sleek Fast. These both use hand weights but only for a portion, and not all at once. It's a good way to build up, IMO. I started with just 3 lbs and am planning on working my way up.

And I'd like to add- not everyone can afford a personal trainer. I know that *some* places offer free trials, but IME it's usually only a session or two. It might be a good place to get ideas but sometimes actually learning it for yourself is the best way.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, and I chose some videos that incorporated weights in a small amount. I don't know if you have Netflix or have checked out the topic on here about it, but it has some good videos that are available instantly. The 2 I've tried are 10 Minute Solutions: Kickboxing and Self: Slim & Sleek Fast. These both use hand weights but only for a portion, and not all at once. It's a good way to build up, IMO. I started with just 3 lbs and am planning on working my way up.

And I'd like to add- not everyone can afford a personal trainer. I know that *some* places offer free trials, but IME it's usually only a session or two. It might be a good place to get ideas but sometimes actually learning it for yourself is the best way.

Since you've never done strength training before, whether you decide to consult a trainer, a book, a dvd, etc...please use some type of reference as opposed to just "learining it for yourself". Using correct form when strength training is VERY important, not only to prevent injury, but also to get the most effective workout.

Good luck!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    have you tried a class like pump where they use reasonably light weights, and alot of reps. that might help you.

i love pump.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The suggestion to read the "New Rules . . ." book is a good one, as are the resistance bands. I would also suggest that you can get a good strength training workout using just body weight. I was skeptical about this before I tried it as I have used weights in the past and thought they were absolutely necessary. They help, and eventually they become necessary, but body weight workouts can be just as difficult as weights, and if you learn how to increase the intensity and difficulty of them through exercise modifications they can take you a long way.

For example, most people would say you can't really change the difficulty of a push-up except for doing them from your knees instead of your feet. However, that is far from true. If you raise your hands higher such as putting them on a steep, a bench or the like, you decrease the difficulty so you can do them with the proper form. The opposite holds true as well. If you have your hands on the floor and put your feet on something higher than the floor you increase the difficulty. Or you can stop and hold the bottom position for several seconds each time you do a repetition to make it more intense. Or you can stop midway through the movement and hold it. Even doing it super slow will change the intensity.

A good book on body weight training is Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" or you can check out http://bodyweightculture.com

In terms of general strength training, you can find a lot of information on how to do exercises on youtube.com as well.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ashley, thank you for posting such a great topic. I've learned some great reference sites for me to go check out too, so thanks for asking. I'm new to weight training too so I'll be applying what other MFP users have recommended. Thanks everyone!!!