Help sugar intake suggestions needed

Options
Hi I am running into a bit of a problem, I have had a bit of trouble keeping my sugar intake in the goal area. The thing is this is even happening on days where I haven't even splurged at all. Even on the days that I eat veggies and fruit I am always going over. Any suggestions? As of today I have only 1 gm left and ti is only mid day, plus I have only ate 2 times today; special k cereal and pickled beets. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Replies

• busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    i dont count fruit sugar, I just knock it off the sugar total
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    fruit has a ton of fructose (fruit sugar) in it, but it isn't the type of sugar that is going to cause you to become either diabetic or overweight (unless you eat a ton of fruit). you shouldn't worry too much about natural food sugars (like lactose in milk is also considered a sugar). i drink a lot of milk, so my sugar is always way over, but my diet has hardly any added sugar or high fructose corn syrup, so i'm not too alarmed by it.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    If I am eating fresh vegetables and fruit, I do NOT worry about the sugar since it is natural. I do try to avoid any white sugar though and that is what you need to keep under the recommended levels.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I dont worry too much about sugar and carbs either, if its all natural, and not processed. If this is your next step for goals, perhaps googling lower sugar choices/ brands for the foods that you're eating? the one drawback for this, is you will probably find that your sodium intake may go up. In order for manufacturers to make things taste good they have to add one or the other. Good luck
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Originally, I was keeping track of my sugar, but it got to the point where I was always going way over because of the fruit that I eat. So I stopped keeping track of my sugar completely. I just don't eat refined sugar in any form, unless it's a very special occasion.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar in fruit either. The fiber in fruit helps make the sugar "act" like a complex carb, not a straight sugar.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I don't like to preach diets, but I did the Atkins diet last summer for 1 month, and it 100% absolutely helped me develop healthier eating habits. I never really paid attention to sugars until then. Even if you don't want to do Atkins, definitely read the book and you'll learn the impact sugar has on your body and easy ways to cut them out....if your'e a fruit junkie like me, you'll learn which fruits are lowest in sugars and which ones are the best for weight loss.

Sugar is in EVERYTHING - salad dressings, condiments, vegetables...and at some point they will hurt your ability to lose weight. Even eating a cup of grapes at night can hinder my weight loss, but my body is super sensitive to carbs/sugars. If you're looking for healthier eating habits and long term sustainable maintenance, it's definitely best to stick to a low sugar diet.
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Options
    Yeah I don't worry with sugar from fruit really. It's refined sugars I stay away from, i.e. white bread. On a different subject, ditch the Special K. Seriously it is totally devoid of any kind of nutrional values. It's filler at best. Eat oatmeal with fruit and honey in it. More filling, more taste, better for you.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much if it is sugar, but if it's in bars/100 cal packs, watch out. I try to stay away from bananas....just have heard things and they go bad too fast anyway lol
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the info and advice, it seems I will just not worry about the sugar I eat unless it is the "unhealthy sugar". I did print a list of fruit and the sugar contents, I was amazed at that. Again thank you! I feel much better knowing it happens for others too.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Really nearly all fruits and vegetables are fine on the glycemic index, only need to worry if you're at risk for Type II Diabetes, or if you're going over on your daily calories as well.

If you are at risk for Diabetes and you're downing grapes and cherries (they're fine in moderation, just very high in sugars), you might need to be watching your sugar. If your sugar comes from high fiber fruits and vegetables that are lower on the glycemic index (apples, pears, tomatoes, broccoli) they are nothing to worry about.

All things in moderation.

http://www.glycemicgourmet.com/glycemic-index-table.html