Healthy Sushi Choices?

Options
Hey everyone,
Looking for some healthy sushi options at a lunch meeting I have. I usually like pan-fried pork gyoza and spicy tuna rolls, but I'm afraid those aren't very diet friendly....any ideas?

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    i need some too!
  • Jordy_Blue
    Options
    Avacado or cucumber rolls! They don't sound very exciting but I find the taste to be yummy. Also, miso soup isn't too bad in the calorie arena.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I usually refer people to look at http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm for the estimated calorie counts for different types of sushi.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    California rolls are healthy....crab is low fat low cal and avocado. Just ask for brown rice. Or anything without mayvo....tuna roll, etc....
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    regular tuna rolls (they don't have the mayo like the spicy tuna rolls) also miso soup. filled with protein and low low low cal!

i love sushi, enjoy!
  • samandemsmommy
    Options
    You could have a cali roll (12 pcs) for 255 cal and miso soup for 40 cal for a cup; a cucumber roll is a good thing to get for only 110 cal per roll and use low sodium soy sauce if you must have it. :) HTH!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    A lot of places are starting to make sushi with brown rice. Be careful though, a lot of places are also starting to add mayo and/or sugar based sauces. Best to ask specifically what is on the roll - and what the base is for the sauce. A lot of times the simplest rolls are the better rolls. Tuna roll w/brown rice. (spice it up with your own mix of low sodium soy & wasabi)
  • hansenh1
    hansenh1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sushimi is the healthiest choice of all because theres no extra calories from the rice. But if you arent a fan of that, which I am not, I usually stick to plain rolls, and try to substitute the white rice for brown. Stay clear of tempura rolls and anything that says spicy- spicy rolls use mayo and a combination of spices. Maybe start the meal with miso soup, a salad, or edamane. GOOD LUCK :)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of sushi and living next to a hana sushi place is dangerous lol.... I get a roll that's wrapped in cucumber instead of rice! You can ask the cook if he can wrap your roll in cucumber or even some places will do brown rice... Stay away from anything fried and watch the soy sauce 1 tbs has over 800mg of salt.. Heres a website that has calories per roll http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    mmm Sushi.

I want some too. :)

Sashimi, is just fish. No rice or avocado.

Spicy tuna is actually not too too bad . As opposed to a smoked salmon. Maybe a shrimp roll. But not tempura. Most places also have a veggie roll as well, if you want to go that route.

Add a miso soup and a house salad to your meal to fill you up.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The spicy tuna and salmon have spicy mayo in them: avoid.

sashimi rules! straight fish, delicious.

Oh, the sea weed salad is absolutely faboulos, I can`t get enough of that stuff.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Alaskan Rolls, Salmon Rolls, Mackeral.

I prefer sashimi too, so I don't get all the rice and I get more Omega-3 goodness bang for my buck. Aim for fish on the "bottom of the food chain" or fish that don't eat other fish.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Salmon sushi is delicious... Along with California rolls. You could also get your spicy crunchy tuna roll and only eat like, 1/2 or 1/3 of it. That's what I usually do! :)

Enjoy! I looooove sushi!!
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful responses! I had a wonderful lunch and there are enough ideas in here to do something different the next few times!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some of the fish you haven't tried before?

I really like tuna and red snapper sushi or sashimi (I usually eat sushi during lunch when sashimi isn't offered as frequently). Try the edamame as an appetizer instead of the tempura or fried pork (though beware, the edamame pods are often caked in salt... tasty, but a sushi trip already means skyrocketing sodium, with all the soy!).

When you eat a piece of nigiri sushi (the kind with the fish/veggie on top of rice, wrapped with a bow of seaweed, as opposed to the maki rolls), try leaving half of the rice on the plate. I suppose some places frown on this but you could always dump it on a used plate or something. :)

Try some of the veggie rolls, like avocado, cucumber, or mushroom.

Try splitting a roll with a friend instead of eating the whole thing.

Umm... that's about it so far, I love sushi too and am trying to make it easier to be a "healthy" meal, but gosh sometimes it's hard! :) Glad you enjoyed your lunch!!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i frequent sushi so it was important for me to find some healthy options.

i agree with the post that said you should always take half the rice off nigiri.

i make sure to only order rolls that have a simple filling, tuna, salmon, cucumber. none of those multi ingrediant rolls. make sure to check out what sauce is going on and never order something deep fried. also watch out for cream cheese and mayo, what i like to call delicious killers!

some sushi resturaunts will make your sushi with brown rice if you ask but not many. usually it says on the menu if that option is avaliable.

another trick i use is to order miso soup and edamame before the meal. the soup usually only about 45 calories a bowl and after a hot soup i dont feel like eating as much. as for edamame it's another healthy snack that will fill you up so you'll eat less. when i order both of those i usually only need two sets of nigiri after to make me feel complete.

i hope i helped and happy sushi eating from one sushi lover to another!