3 pounds a week for the next two months..

Options
I need to do it. Can it be done?
What can I do to complete this goal?
Please help.
Calories for the day/calories burned at the gym.. How many is enough/not enough?

Help please =]

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I doubt anything will work past the first month. You don't look large enough to loose 3 lbs a week unless its water weight. Sorry.

You'll probably have better luck with eating 1200 net cals a day and doing a lot of walking and maybe something like the 30 day shred to tone up a bit.

Good luck!
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    3lbs a week is too much to loose unless you have loads to loose and by your picture you look tiny so I doubt it :)
  • jhawkins1988
    Options
    You need to make sure you eat at least 1200 calories, otherwise your body will just go into starvation mode, and you won't lose a thing! Try to eat healthy and workout!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but not in a healthy manner since you have much less than 100 lbs to lose. I would suggest setting your goal to 1 or 1.5/week at the most. And once you have only 15 lbs to go change your goal to 0.5lbs/week. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be and the slower your loss should be. This way you avoid losing muscle,, instead of fat to use as fuel.
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    I'm about 35 pounds overweight, so it could be done..

But thanks anyway (:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is different. I go with slow and steady. I exercise and keep within my calorie intake MOST of the time religiously. The first week I lost 4 lbs (water weight), 2nd week 3 pounds, 3rd week 2 pounds; now I maintain at a loss of 1.2 to 1.4 pounds a week. I think that is how MY body functions. Unfortantly we can't make our bodies lose a certain amount such as 3 pounds a week in my opinion while doing it the healthy way such as eatting no lower than 1200 calories a day and getting exercise in. Good luck to you and I hope that you enjoy your journey!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Maybe you could do it, but it's really not worth it! You'd have to resort to some pretty unhealthy eating habits. People who are very overweight can have these kinds of loses (that's why you see these numbers and higher on the Biggest Loser) but you've already lose 24 lbs (congrats!) and your body won't lose more happily. Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week and you'll have much better results in the long run.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sabrina - actually, I think that if you were creating that much of a calorie deficit, you would probably cave around week 3.

It sounds like you want to be in shape for something specific. A low carb diet would reduce all of your bloating and retained water and resistance training would help you firm up. With that, you might be the *shape* you want for your event, but there isn't a healthy way to loose that much weight in that time frame.
  • coahdan
    coahdan Posts: 19
    Options
    Just looking at the math, you're going to have to average a caloric deficit of approx. 1500 calories/day. While that's doable in the short term you might want to schedule a few "no loss" weeks in there so that your body doesn't break down. For example, 2 weeks of loosing and then a week of maintaining to give your body and mind a break.

Just my $.02 which might be overpriced ;-)

Dan
  • daniellescsu
    daniellescsu Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would love to lose 3 lbs a week so if you find something that works PLEASE let me know!

Everyone says slow and steady and that you should focus more on being healthy that a certain amount of pounds in a certain time. But if you are like me you need those very drastic goals to do anything. I have had a goal of losing weight and eating healthy for the last 6 months, but since it was not specific or drastic, I didnt really do anything to make it happen because there is always tomorrow! So I do need time goals and ones that are closer rather than farther.
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    I did the biggest loser last April and lost 35 pounds in ten weeks.
    I was sooo strict eating and working out,
    but I have senior prom, graduation, and senior week coming up. Ahhhh.

Thanks for all the advice though guys.
  • erickirb
    Options

But thanks anyway (:

It could be, but not in a healthy manner and this site promotes healthy weight loss (2lbs/week maximum, recommends 1/week).
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    And once you have only 15 lbs to go change your goal to 0.5lbs/week. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be and the slower your loss should be. This way you avoid losing muscle,, instead of fat to use as fuel.

Just wondering if you have any good articles on this, since that's about how much I have left to lose and I'm still set to lose 1lb a week. I've never heard of eating more daily to continue losing, so I'd like to read up on it.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    losing weight that fast typically comes from extreme denial to yourself and not making lasting changes, if you did biggest loser last year and lost that much weight, did you keep it off? or did it come back on later? these are the questions you want to ask yourself because you want to learn things that are long term and sustainable changes. fast, short term weight loss is great but typically never last because we go right back to the habits that gave us the weight to begin with. I know you have specific dates in mind and these are hard to pass up, but you look good in your picture so I don't think you need to do something so extreme-find long term changes and realistic goals you can stick with for a lifetime of change. your body and mind will be better for it and a few years from now when the weight stays off, you will be so glad you did. change is a slow process, not an extreme fast one.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I've been trying to lose 2lbs a week through diet/cardio, and I haven't been successful. However, I recently started doing the Insanity workout (the cardio verision of P90x) and if you're able to do it at full intensity, you can burn up to 1000 calories in an hour. It's healthier to eat at least your 1200 calories/day and just workout harder. Insanity is a ridiculously intense workout - it'll definitely help you get to your goal sooner rather than later! Good luck!!
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    losing weight that fast typically comes from extreme denial to yourself and not making lasting changes, if you did biggest loser last year and lost that much weight, did you keep it off? or did it come back on later? these are the questions you want to ask yourself because you want to learn things that are long term and sustainable changes. fast, short term weight loss is great but typically never last because we go right back to the habits that gave us the weight to begin with. I know you have specific dates in mind and these are hard to pass up, but you look good in your picture so I don't think you need to do something so extreme-find long term changes and realistic goals you can stick with for a lifetime of change. your body and mind will be better for it and a few years from now when the weight stays off, you will be so glad you did. change is a slow process, not an extreme fast one.

since the original 35 that i lost since last july, i've gained about 10. i lost 45, then gained, then lost, then gained.

it's like i KNOW what to do, and i could easily lose the weight, i just can't seem to get past it all and just DO IT.

it's so hard. bleh.
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    I've been trying to lose 2lbs a week through diet/cardio, and I haven't been successful. However, I recently started doing the Insanity workout (the cardio verision of P90x) and if you're able to do it at full intensity, you can burn up to 1000 calories in an hour. It's healthier to eat at least your 1200 calories/day and just workout harder. Insanity is a ridiculously intense workout - it'll definitely help you get to your goal sooner rather than later! Good luck!!

is the insanity expensive?
  • erickirb
    Options

with both of those programs the minimum you should eat is 1800 calories. Look at the diet guide that came with them.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

But thanks anyway (:

You come in here asking if it can be done..if you already know then why ask? If you want unhealthy advice then google your options. If you want sound logical advice then take heed to what people are saying to you.

3lbs a week can only be done in a unhealthy manner after the initial water weight is loss. If you need to lose 35lbs. Set you goals to 1.5 or 2 lbs weight loss and do circuit training. Its a mixture of cardio and strength training. Your body will lose body fat and tone at the same time. And you will probably obtain the look you seek without even dropping the entire 35lbs.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Insanity is about $130 for the set. Maybe you can get it cheaper on ebay. I have lost 3 lbs this week and only have 15 lb to go to my goal weight. you will need to eat on this program, alot more than 1200 calories a day.