Off Topic- Careers

Options
Hi all!

I am current college student here in AZ. I went to college straight out of high school and had no idea what I wanted a degree in. I am back in school now at age 23 and still have no idea Lol..I have tried taking tests to see my interests. I know I like something to do with helping others, nursing (which the wait is anywhere from 2-4 yrs now), also interested in psychology but with a bachelors in psych I don't think there is much I can do with it? Is there any money in psychology? Money is not everything, but if I am going to be in school for a while, I definitely want something to pay off..So just wondering, if any of you could share maybe what you do as a career and what not and why you love it! I just need some ideas! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'm totally not one that needs to answer since my career now has nothing to do with what I have a degree for lol

I have a bachelors in Animal Science (I wanted to become a Vet before I had kids and was in my first year of Vet school when I got pregnant with my first)

*drum roll* I now am a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor at an aerobics studio.

Good luck in finding your place in school!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cardiac Sonography is an interesting field. It'll always be here (most of the work is in hospitals) and you have the opportunity to help. The medical field will always be here and you can take it anywhere in the world. Helping is the most important and getting paid to do it is bonus! Good luck to you! I'm in PHX too! North of the Metro Mall!! :heart:
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I went to school to become a social worker/psychologist. After a four year degree, I won't even tell you what I made. You need much more than 4 years in that field to earn anything. Thankfully, I had scholarships, so I didn't have the debt. And then...years later, I went to law school. Now I'm a practicing attorney in an area I love.
  • KarlaColvin
    Options
    Thanks! yes, I was going pre-med route, thought maybe pediatrics..BUT I find myself not too focused in chem classes and labs..I had my son when I was 21..So now, I am back in school but cannot figure out what I want, since I think medicine may not be for me.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I have a degree in Political Science and I now work for the Canadian government (but not in any position I actually want to be in.) I am, though, at the end stages of a competition for a position in Intelligence and that would definitely be the first position in my "career" and not just another "job." So excited!! :)
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    You can earn a living with a BS in PSYCHOLOGY, however don't expect to get rich. To make better money get a Masters if not a PHD in Psychology.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I understand you want to help others. May I suggest looking into volunteering at a nursing home or hospital so you can get a little more of an idea of what it is specifically you want to do as there are lots of different fields. Nursing is fantastic, hard, heartbreaking, backbreaking, thankless, but also one of the most rewarding things there is. I absolutely love it and I've been doing it for 15-16 years now. The thing about being a good nurse is that it must be more of a calling than a career. Yes, we RNs make good money and in the hospital we usually only have to work three 12hr shifts a week. BUT, I will tell you honestly, that if you are looking to get into nursing primarily for the money, DON'T, it isn't worth it. I started out that way, but luckily, I fell in love with it from the start.
    Good Luck!!

Ted
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on going to school until I was sure what I wanted to do. And if there's something you are really interested in, don't let the wait time or length of program discourage you. I would rather wait or put in the extra time to do something that I really enjoy. Money is not everything, but is an important factor. I wish I had put more thought into that. I currently have a degree that I am not using. Partly because that industry is down right now. That's another thing to consider. For example the medical field is good because there will always be births and sick people. Whereas psychology or biology, you are more limited with job possibilities and sometimes pay.

Hope this helps.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I should have done nursing instead of Paramedic. It's twice the pay and hundreds of transfer and specialty options!!!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Once upon a time I went to college to be an accountant. Since then I have worked for police departments as a warrant and extraditions officer, a 911 police and fire dispatcher, a correctional officer, and am currently teaching grades 7-12 alternative learning kids. My point is, major in what interests you and you will find a career that you love whether or not it pertains to the actual degree you have. Just having a college degree will open up many jobs for you regardless of what your degree says. :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a psych degree...unless you get your doctorate you won't make any money...you're just an over educated social worker. Human services field sucks for money, you have to do it for the love of people...hence the reason why I'm an office administrator now :ohwell: I have 7 years of university, both a rehab diploma and psych degree, with some little certificates sprinkled here and there. If you want to make money, the energy sector is your best bet. I currently work for a land surveying company that caters to the oil patch. How about looking into a trade? there's tons of trades, and like prostitution, there's always a need for a good journeyman. it's only 2 months of school and the rest you work and earn your hours...the pay is fantastic...mind you I never checked to see where you lived lol...regardless a Trade or Energy (even green energy is on the rise)...good luck, I hope you find what you love.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I should have done nursing instead of Paramedic. It's twice the pay and hundreds of transfer and specialty options!!!

It's not too late!! I know of lots of former medic/FF RNs.
    Ted
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I was a "non-traditional" student as well. I took one accounting class and loved it. It sounds awful, and it was the last thing I ever thought I would end up doing, but here I am. I finished school with a bachelors of accounting and a bachelors of information systems (yes, I am a huge dork), and now I work as a forensic accountant, and I'm starting to specialize in IT/ software.

I guess you never know where you will end up, but you have to get out there and take a bunch of different classes to find the one thing that really clicks for you.

Oh, and after many years of bartending, waitressing, being a receptionist, etc. the money's not bad either.
  • KarlaColvin
    Options
    I will definitely look into some volunteer programs. I have volunteered in pediatrics at a hospital here in chandler. When I had my son I became really interested in labor and delivery nursing; however, as someone mentioned it can be heart breaking. That is where I am not sure I will be able to handle it. I get very emotional. I don't think I could keep it together in a case where I may help deliver a still birth for example.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I am current college student here in AZ. I went to college straight out of high school and had no idea what I wanted a degree in. I am back in school now at age 23 and still have no idea Lol..I have tried taking tests to see my interests. I know I like something to do with helping others, nursing (which the wait is anywhere from 2-4 yrs now), also interested in psychology but with a bachelors in psych I don't think there is much I can do with it? Is there any money in psychology? Money is not everything, but if I am going to be in school for a while, I definitely want something to pay off..So just wondering, if any of you could share maybe what you do as a career and what not and why you love it! I just need some ideas! :)

Thanks!
    I'll give you the same advice I plan on giving my kids when they get to college age: find something you love to do. If you truly enjoy doing it, and do it well enough, the money will follow (FYI, Suze Orman gives the same advice). Life's too short to do something just for the money.

I just read an article online about a research study that was done that showed money doesn't actually buy happiness. As long as basic needs are met, and money is used wisely, more money doesn't improve happiness. Just some food for thought.
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nursing has been very good to me. After dropping out of college, I went to LPN school, then got an Associates degree in nursing, Bachelor's degree in nursing & now I am working on my Masters to become a Nurse Practitioner. There are many routes to becoming a nurse if that is what you want to do. Check out technical schools, hospital based programs, community colleges, as well as universities. You may find a quicker route to your goal.
    The best part about nursing is the flexibility and transportability of the profession. I have worked in hospitals, out patient surgery centers, psychiatric hospitals, and nursing homes. Whenever my husband's job would move us, I could easily find a job.
  • KarlaColvin
    Options
    great advice from everyone thank you! I appreciate it. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I guess, I am going to go out and try a few different classes see what interests me most.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Thanks!
    I'll give you the same advice I plan on giving my kids when they get to college age: find something you love to do. If you truly enjoy doing it, and do it well enough, the money will follow (FYI, Suze Orman gives the same advice). Life's too short to do something just for the money.

I just read an article online about a research study that was done that showed money doesn't actually buy happiness. As long as basic needs are met, and money is used wisely, more money doesn't improve happiness. Just some food for thought.

Oh good god you're right! if i could be doing anything right now it would be a reiki master...but bills got in the way, and a kid...once everything is back on track, i think it's time i did something about that dream...I hope your kids appreciate the lesson you're about to teach them...
  • hwilliams519
    Options

Good advice. Another important thing to teach your kids is how to budget wisely. I wish my parents had taught me. I had to figure it out on my own. Scholarships are very important. I wish I could say I came out of college debt free. But unfortunately, that is not so.
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    Any kind of doctor makes a lot of money. Psychologist included but you have to follow your heart. I know you mentioned not knowing what you're interested in yet but when you do just go with it money regardless. I am currently in college for a journalism degree and not a week goes by where I don't hear from my family that I am making a bad choice because there is no money in my career path unless I do something like the Today Show. I'm okay with that, I've loved writing since I was 13yrs old and although money can make life easier it won't make me happy if I'm doing some sucky job I can't stand.

Good Luck :)