Opinions and Constructive Critisism on my Food Diary

Options
Hi everyone,

I joined MFP a few days ago, and entered all my foods for the past week or so to make my food diary.

I am not the most active person and am very overweight so have set my goals quite low - I really do believe I need to get my body used to having far less - I know my stomach is stretched, and therefore takes more food to register as being full - I know that has to change!

I'm not the worlds best cook, and when I do try, I end up adding loads of things that aren't needed and that bulks up the kcals - its easier for me to have foods that are already portioned out and analysed, especially as I tend to eat on the go, or in a spare 5 minutes I have at work.

Any opinions or constructive critism would be appreciated coz I never know i I'm doing it right.

I started my diet on 29th March and on 13th April (2 weeks later) i'd lost 8.8lbs

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You want an honest opinion? Too much processed and boxed foods.

I see no fresh vegetables. Too many "diet" foods, which you know, are mainly preservatives and chemicals.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You want an honest opinion? Too much processed and boxed foods.

I see no fresh vegetables. Too many "diet" foods, which you know, are mainly preservatives and chemicals.
    Thank you - I am looking for honest opinions - will up my fresh fruit and veg on my next shop :o)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least 1,200 calories.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with what has already been said.

1. Too many diet foods.
    2. Not enough calories
    3. I dont see any fruits and veggies for the most part.
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    I agree, you are not eating enough calories to begin with. I would eat between 1200 and 1500. More veggies and fruits too.
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with the above. Also, try to add more lean proteins (fish, chicken, etc.) and more water. Protein will make you full longer and water will do the same and help decrease water retention. Good luck!
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least 1,200 calories.

Agreed. Why did you go through and manually set the calorie goals? If I were you, I'd go back and set up your goals again using the "guided" option. Eating too little will actually hinder your weight loss.

Also, you should be drinking more water.
  • eg872904
    eg872904 Posts: 11
    Options
    You can't survive for long on 1000 calories, and you're eating even less. I feel like either 1) you are eating more than you log or 2) you are miserable and always hungry. Try figuring out your BMR. What do you have it set as your weekly loss? In the beginning, you will lose weight pretty fast (I think I lost 20 lbs my first month) but your weight loss will even out after your body gets used to eating a healthy diet. I agree with the processed foods, but completely understand, my diet is full of them due to convenience and ease. Try not to be too hard on yourself. I started my "weight loss journey" January of 2010 and I've lost a total of 65 lbs. I still have a while to go (like 20), but I feel like I've done things nice and slow and that makes it easier.

I don't know if any of that helps :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low. You should be eating a minimum of 1200. And you need to add more fruits, vegetables and lean proteins. You really should add some walking to your routine as well. Or some form of exercise.

Great start. Keep asking questions and reading, and you'll figure it all out.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD! and you should be eating alot more calories than that. If you don't like cooking bc of left overs, cook only what you need and freeze the rest or cook it all and put the rest in the firdge and eat it for lunch the next day.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think you're not eating enough, period. 1,000 calories a day is not enough food. You say in your profile you used to eat 4,000/day ... seems like if you just cut that number in half, you'd have a lot of success.

I also agree w/ the above person that eating more fresh, whole foods (like vegetables and fruit) would be beneficial.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Drink a full glass of water before you eat and it fills you up sooner. put your spoon or fork down between each bite and dont take another one until you swallow. Those are ways to "trick" your stomach into thinking you are eating more.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    make sure you are monitoring your protein and fiber. You will want to eat a lot of both on so little calories, otherwise you will probably feel really hungry and lack sustained energy.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I think you're not eating enough, period. 1,000 calories a day is not enough food. You say in your profile you used to eat 4,000/day ... seems like if you just cut that number in half, you'd have a lot of success.

I also agree w/ the above person that eating more fresh, whole foods (like vegetables and fruit) would be beneficial.
    if you are dong this with only 1,000 then you are starving yourself and its going to get harder to lose weight.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone who has posted so far
    i would never have drank any water - 2 cups of coffee a day plus over 3ltrs of full fat coke was my usual fluid intake
    will try to add more water daily
    and more fresh foods a little at a time
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree- that I am seeing alot of processed or pre-packaged items... Try sticking to the outter limits of the store and eating fresh fruits and vegtables.. Make your own potato salad instead of buying prepackaged that has alot of unnecessary additives, etc.... You arent eating enough calories in general and your body is going to go into starvation mode..
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    What ^^ they said, and also, I would track protein. If you focus on getting enough good protein (about 30% of your calories is a good goal), and meeting, but at the same time not going over, your overall calorie goal, you'll find that the rest falls into place, pretty much.

Avoid the processed stuff, it doesn't keep you full. If you're really used to it, try to find a healthy version and limit it until you become used to more natural forms of food.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and besides not eating enough cals, you are not drinking enough water. Remember to drink your 8 water goal for each day (if not more) if you want to lose. Best of luck to you.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I know some say Diet coke isn't good for you, but seriously if you need the caffeine (sp) switch to diet, this will give you WAY more calories to eat rather than waste them on coke.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with everyone else here. You need to NET at LEAST 1200 calories a day, anything less is really not healthy and will only damage your body in the long run. You do also need to work more FRESH fruits and veggies into your diet. They are actually very filling and you can usually eat a lot of veggies for a low calorie count. I still eat SOME processed foods, but I am trying very hard to eat less of them. I know they are not good and full of sodium which will make you retain water and slow or stop your weight loss. Friend me if you want and good luck!