walking how far is enough or how long is enough?

Options
So for the last 2 months since i got a dog i have been taking him out 5 -7 times a week for at least an hours walk, today i did 2.46miles and yesterday i did exactly 2 miles, ive been loosing weight but wanting to know if this is low end or actually good going?

also got my mother in law coming out for a brisk walk with the dogs 3 times a week and shes been going on her own, i want to know if the 2 miles is going to be doing anything for her already, probably sounds like a daft question but im new to the outdoor fitness, but really enojying going with someone having a chin wag whilst out and before you know it we have done 2 miles!!!
also love going on my own, i just stick my ipod on and away i go for and hour or so.

Replies

• ashmom86
    ashmom86 Posts: 117
    Options
    Bump...would like to know too. :smile:
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    also will like to progress into speed walking/power walking anyone out there that does this???
  • jasonwhitham
    Options
    I walk my dog too! I try to do around 5 miles a day, and keep to a 3.5mph pace. Its my biggest way that I have got my weight down. Works for me. I also use Runkeeper on my phone whilst walking as it tracks everything you do.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with walking 2mi, I walk early in the morning for about 45 minutes pushing my 1yr old in the jogger.....but walking should not be the basis of your exercise plan...you need to add strength a couple days a week...
  • dom300186
    Options
    that sounds cool is that on the iphone? mines broke so i may take my sat nav out with me to see how many mph im doing lol
  • ReadyMom
    ReadyMom Posts: 59
    Options
    It took a little while to work up to it but I can now do 4 miles in an hour which says I burn about 400 calories but then I hear that the calorie counter on here is too generous. Definitely losing inches though!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Getting started can be tough. Your speed is a bit slow for a final goal, but fine for just gettiing started. I would set your goal at being able to complete 3.5-4 miles in the hour you walk- or about double your speed. This doesn't need to be done next week! Slowly do it- maybe set the goal of being that fast by the end of summer. If you get there faster, great, but 4-5 months seems reasonable.
    Another way of looking at this is your perceived level of exertion should be such that you can talk, but not easily when you are walking. I walk with a friend and we talk, but it's short, choppy sentences with some pauses, especially when we hit the hills! As you become more fit, you will have to walk faster to get to that level of exertion.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It took a little while to work up to it but I can now do 4 miles in an hour which says I burn about 400 calories but then I hear that the calorie counter on here is too generous. Definitely losing inches though!

The calorie counter is not always "generous." My calories calculated on here before getting my HRM were actually much lower for many of the activities.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My guess it really depends on you, the place you walk, length of time and heart rate etc. When I go for outdoor walk mine are usually about 70 minutes, 4 miles of hilly road. If you are doing at least 30 minutes with a good heart rate, it is probably sufficient for maintenance. However, the more the dogs do the better for them (and subsequentially you) As the dog whisperer says, EXERCISE, Discipline then Affection ;-).
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My guess it really depends on you, the place you walk, length of time and heart rate etc. When I go for outdoor walk mine are usually about 70 minutes, 4 miles of hilly road. If you are doing at least 30 minutes with a good heart rate, it is probably sufficient for maintenance. However, the more the dogs do the better for them (and subsequentially you) As the dog whisperer says, EXERCISE, Discipline then Affection ;-).

PS I started with a mile and 1/2 walk, and a lot less time.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Awesome start... 2miles is good going for a dog walk. There's no set limit, if that makes sense. It all depends what you want to get from it in general. I'd suggest to build up slowly, but quicken the pace and lengthen the distance as well.. If you alternate - your body doesn't get used to a set routine as well. You'll find that occasionally you can do a bit of jogging and running as well - the dog will probably love it too..

It'll be helping your mother in law too and the more you two do it together, you can help motivate each other.. Focus a bit more on the pace than the chin wagging :) As you start to quicken up the talking will probably slow down initially as well - hard to try and breathe and talk.. :)

Good on ya and keep it up...
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I started by walking in Wal-Mart with a basket for 10 minutes at a time. I WALKED, not shopping or talking to Friends. I was not able to walk "Fast" by any stretch of the imagination, but I walked steadily and as fast as my knees allowed. I am now walking 3--6 miles a day, at a little over 3 mph.
    Speed or Distance doesn't matter--In My Opinion--as much as consistency and increasing the time and speed as you are able,
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options

The calorie counter is not always "generous." My calories calculated on here before getting my HRM were actually much lower for many of the activities.

I completely agree!
  • dom300186
    Options
    thanks for all your replys.