How much is too much?

Options
I feel that most people are not pushing them selves as hard as they could be in the gym, so the notion of "overdoing" it to me seems a little silly. But I have heard that if you work out too much your body won't let you loose those last 10 pounds. I recently quit smoking, but have been working my *kitten* off in the gym (different kinds and levels of cardio each day, HIIT, weight training, circuit training, etc) and I have been counting my calories. I cut back on drinking too. I do feel better and can tell my muscles are more firm, but I haven't lost any weight. I am 5'5 and am stuck at 140....I am in the gym or running outside 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days.

Does quitting smoking really make it that much harder to lose weight?
And I also changed my birth control - last month I went on a higher estrogen level, and after feeling like a psycho and gaining weight I got off of it and am now on nuvaring. That could be a reason why it is so hard for me to loose the weight? I was happy around 127-130 and am aiming just to be able to get back into all of my clothes from last summer.

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I want to refer you to this thread, it's been very helpful and there is a jump at the end (in case you miss it)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
    The last 10 pounds are hard because your body wants to hold onto it because it is more interested in survival than being thin.
    Smoking might increase stress cortisol, which can make you hold onto fat stores, and hormonal imbalances will certainly have an effect too!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    we cant see your diary to "tweek" here and there, and have you recalculated your goals, with so little left to lose, I hear its going to come off much more slowly, and actually need a little higher calorie need because you are close to maint calories? Another thing might be your water intake? your body could be starting to hold onto that more given your goal is so closeand the amount of exercising you're doing, and also, have you tried zig zagging your calories?

hope something will stir things up a bit, keep chugging along, I have read several times where it finally just falls off.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    I feel that most people are not pushing them selves as hard as they could be in the gym, so the notion of "overdoing" it to me seems a little silly. But I have heard that if you work out too much your body won't let you loose those last 10 pounds. I recently quit smoking, but have been working my *kitten* off in the gym (different kinds and levels of cardio each day, HIIT, weight training, circuit training, etc) and I have been counting my calories. I cut back on drinking too. I do feel better and can tell my muscles are more firm, but I haven't lost any weight. I am 5'5 and am stuck at 140....I am in the gym or running outside 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days.

Does quitting smoking really make it that much harder to lose weight?
    And I also changed my birth control - last month I went on a higher estrogen level, and after feeling like a psycho and gaining weight I got off of it and am now on nuvaring. That could be a reason why it is so hard for me to loose the weight? I was happy around 127-130 and am aiming just to be able to get back into all of my clothes from last summer.

Over doing things at the gym is something you should never do. My boyfriend thought it would be great to push his self at the gym. Well my phone rang at 1:30 am. He was crying because he couldn't move. When I say couldn't, I mean it was like he was paralized. When I got to his house I was so scard that I couldn't even speak. His muscles were so weak from pushing his self that they wouldn't work. After 3 hours he fell back asleep and at 7 am, he spent 30 mins trying to move before he was able to.

Guys really be careful on what you do. You can seriously hurt yourself. My tainer at my gym has a degree in sports medicine and he said that pushing yourself is the wrong thing to do.
  • michellemaere
    Options
    Thanks a bunch- very interesting! I clicked on your profile- I am still doing couch 2 5k runs once a week just to mix things up! I also recommend the Allsport GPS LE (it's free!) app, it'sgreat for mapping runs, biking, even driving if you need it for mileage tracking. It runs great on my iPhone and good on my boyfriends blackberry. Check it out if you like to run outdoors and want to see and record your routes, elevation changes, etc. Thanks again for the helpful post! I guess I just need to be patient with weight loss and just stick to a healthy diet and consistent workouts.