Less Calories, no exercise?

Options
I have an extremely hectic lifestyle, but i'm sat on my bum most of the day, whilst being very busy! I don't have time for exercise, at all, every moment of my life in accounted for, even now i'm staying up later than i should just to type this, lol.

So my question is, can i still lose a good amount of weight without exercising? Just by eating fewer calories? Say if i needed to eat 1700 calories a day to lose weight, what if i ate 1500 calories instead of running for 30 minutes? Will i lose weight just as easily by doing this, or is fitness really an essential part of losing weight?

Replies

• justinvine
    Options
    I don't think you would. When you raise that heart rate and increase your metabolism it can't be off set with a 200 calorie deficit. I would guess you would burn almost 500 calories in 30 minutes of running and benefit from sweating.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For me I have to exercise in order to lose weight..it goes hand in hand with the counting of the calories. But exercise can be anything...he can be working in the yard....walking around your neighborhood...it doesn't haven't to necessarily be in the gym. As long as you are getting out and moving instead of just sitting still...I think it would help aid your weight loss..instead of just relying on the lower calorie intake. Just my opinion...but it is whatever works for you.
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    Exercise is good for toning too. Is there any way you can just run 10 minutes at a 6.7mph pace? The littlest bit will do wonders I promise :) Maybe just a run around the block or something.
  • popsicle0077
    Options
    I lost 1 stone without exercising. But I only lost 1 pound a week.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Someone wise once said:

"If you want to look good in clothes, diet. If you want to look good naked, exercise!" :D
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i think you would still lose weight, though probably more slowly because 200 calories isn't enough to make up for 30 minutes running. i burn more like 300-350 calories for a half hour running. losing weight has much more to do with eating and less to do with exercise. however, even though you'll still lose weight, you'll lose muscle, too. your scale will probably tell that you're smaller, but you won't feel smaller and your clothes won't fit like you're smaller.

this is what happens to me, anyway.

good luck!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I barely ever exercise and have lost 19 pounds since mid-January. It may be slower coming off, but it still comes off.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    When I started over a year ago, I knew that exercise was going to be my weak link, so only committed to exercise 2x a week for 30 minutes and that was typically walking. I lost weight fairly quickly without putting in a ton of gym time. I do think that exercise helps kick start your metabolism. My suggestion is to go for fewer calories (as long as you are not going below 1200) and given your hectic lifestyle see how it works for you BUT try to start building in time for a 15 minute brisk walk at lunch or some other time. You really will feel better too! Bottom line, you are not going to lose weight if you don't start doing something so do what works for your current schedule. You shouldn't gain weight by eating less that is for sure!
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Someone wise once said:

"If you want to look good in clothes, diet. If you want to look good naked, exercise!" :D

i like that!
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates a daily calorie allowance for you to lose weight without exercise. For example, if I want to lose 1lb per week I should eat 1500 calories per day, which creates a 500 calorie deficit per day (for me) or 3500 per week (3500 calories = 1lb). If you exercise it adds to your allowance to keep your deficit at whatever level you have set. So basically, you can lose weight without exercising or cutting off additional calories from your allowance. Just mark that you have a "sedentary" lifestyle and put in how many pounds per week you'd like to lose and let MFP do the rest.
    HOWEVER, I have to put in a good word for exercise...it makes you feel amazing, it helps you get not only smaller but also leaner, stronger and healthier and it doesn't have to take a lot of time. You could maybe consider doing simple things at first, like parking at the far end of lots from where you're going or walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I bet you'll be so addicted to how good it feels to get moving that you'll eventually want to make more time for it :)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I barely ever exercise and have lost 19 pounds since mid-January. It may be slower coming off, but it still comes off.

**Correction, have lost 21 pounds, not 19. Silly me;)
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Someone wise once said:

lol SO true!
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You might want to do some to rebuild muscle you might lose by cutting down on calories and also to tone your body and tighten your skin. You will end up losing weight but having saggy skin. But exercise comes in many forms.
  • sjaudio
    sjaudio Posts: 52
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising. It's simple math, calories in versus calories out. If you burn 1700 calories a day sitting on your bum and only eat 1500, that is a 200 calorie deficit. That being said (or written), you will get better results by adding in some extra exercise into your daily routine. Even just adding a thirty minute walk into your lunch break will help.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80% diet an 20% exercise. You will lose without exercising. Just make sure your diet is healthy
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you are sitting all day, are there stairs in your building? You could try a hike up the stairs a couple of times a day.
    Good luck!
  • bloodbinds
    Options
    Ahh, you've all been really helpful! thanks!

There are stairs in my building but i'm only on the first floor. But could still try walking up and down whilst eating my lunch (can i lose weight while excercising and eating at the same time?! Lol)

I'll try figure out something i can do exercise wise - don't want saggy skin and would like to tone up too!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a calorie burner, but for general toning, do 2 sets of 20 each push-ups and squats each day. I can usually manage the squats while the kettle boils!
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Someone wise once said:

this hits it on the nail. If you keep your calories to what MFP recommends in order to lose then you will lose but when you are finally able to add in exercise you will see other differences.

Not passing judgement (in any way) but we all find ourselves incredibly busy - is there any way you can schedule a 1/2 hour of you time when you can do a short walk/run or lift some weights? I know for myself, for years I was too busy doing what I needed to do for everyone else in my life. Several years ago I realized that I am just as important and now I fit in my workouts and those around me know it and don't try to take that time from me. Good luck to you!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I exercised on a regular basis for 3 years. Gym classes etc. I didn't lose a thing (in fact I probably put on weight). WHY? Because I ate what I wanted. I didn't eat bad food. All meals were healthy home cooked meals, I just wasn't watching my intake.

Since watching what goes in my mouth (about 2.5 months now) I have lost almost 14kg.

As they say weight loss and healthy living is 90% nutrition and 10% training. Focus on your nutrition and the results will come.

Take a look at http://fitdeck.com/fitness-bodyweight-only/ They do a deck of fitness cards called "Office" There may be some little exercises you can squeeze into your busy day.....after all....you want to look good naked too right?