Should I ditch the tea? vote

Options
2»

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'd totally buy those responses if you didn't eat yogurt or ice cream or cheese or any of the million ways we get milk in a day.

According to those reasonings all those products are unnatural and off the list. Personally I drink soy milk, but that's cause I like the flavor. I usually have it with a nice piece of cheese.

And the statement that no other animal will drink another's milk is untrue. Give a cat some milk, see what happens. No animal cooks its food, but we do. The logic is plain faulty.

The truth is that before the advent of agriculture--all adult humans, like the adults of other animal species, were lactose intolerant. This doesn't mean it is impossible to drink milk, it just tends to cause discomfort (for most individuals--some can have more dangerous/deadly reactions). But once we had agriculture, we began to raise animals for meat. Our ancestors, in times of hunger, also began drinking milk. It caused discomfort, but it was better than starvation. Over a surprisingly short period of time, people in agricultural communities developed the ability to tolerate lactose, as this increased survival.

This is called evolution. I guess if you wanted to follow the caveman diet you'd be okay.

But it's totally off topic anyway. Even at 8 cups of tea-we're talking maybe 1/4 c. of milk.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    tea is good for you but....
    even skim milk has excessive milk fat that you should be avoiding!

I don't think this is so - whole milk is about 4% fat and skim milk is much lower again, so I don't see how it can have "excessive" fat. It would have milk sugars (lactose) - but the amount in a cup of tea is going to be pretty small. Whether it is a good idea to drink milk from another species is another topic altogether, everyone is going to have their own opinions on this!

To the OP, personally, I think if you enjoy your tea (with or without milk) then I don't think you have to give it up. It might be worth cutting down though, if you are getting headaches when you don't have it , it sounds like your body might be looking for the caffeine. One of the previous posters suggested alternating with some water - this might be a good idea. Hot water with frsh lemon in might work for you too as an alternative.

Overall, I think there are worse habits you could have :)
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    I gave up sugar years ago I've drank tea with milk since I was little so think im a true caffeine addict plus being a brit its the only drink you ever seem to be offered everywhere you go. I might give green tea a go I've tried herbal tea but it tastes like pond water of air freshener lol.

It was worth staying up late just to witness actual brits discussing tea! :drinker:
    lol we really do love our tea
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The truth is that before the advent of agriculture--all adult humans, like the adults of other animal species, were lactose intolerant. This doesn't mean it is impossible to drink milk, it just tends to cause discomfort (for most individuals--some can have more dangerous/deadly reactions). But once we had agriculture, we began to raise animals for meat. Our ancestors, in times of hunger, also began drinking milk. It caused discomfort, but it was better than starvation. Over a surprisingly short period of time, people in agricultural communities developed the ability to tolerate lactose, as this increased survival.

This is called evolution.

so true. We owe much of our survival as a human race to the fact that we can eat such a wide range of foodstuffs. If you are of European extraction (that includes North America and Australia) then you are part of an evolutionary group that developed the capability to drink milk for longer - more nutrients were therefore available therefore better survival.

Recently there has been some concern in the UK regarding lack of iodine in diets - previously 50% of the RDA of iodine came from drinking milk. Milk is not bad for everyone. Sure there are some people who find milk a problem, but substitution isn't always the right way forwards.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I vote you try a bunch of no caffeine teas which also don't require milk or sugar. Green rooibos is great as it is naturally sweet. Also regular rooibos, green (and flavoured green), mint, fruit, white etc. I no longer take milk in tea at all due to intolerance and now I get maybe 5 cups of waters worth a day from these less known teas.

Yes it's pretty minimal whether you take in milk and sugar in your tea, but if you are drinking just 1 cup a day, say with 1 milk 2 sugar, you can save 11,000 calories in sugar a year and 7,500 in milk. That is over 5lbs.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd never get out of the house without my PG Tips and semi-skimmed in the mornings (17 calories!). Fortunately, we only have an instant drinks machine at work, no kettle and fridge, so that's pretty much all I have all day. I'd stick with the tea.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Despite tea having a diuretic effect (dehydrating the body) it is still overall a hydrating product ie: although it makes you pee more, you're still gaining water from the amount that you drink. So no, don't stop - particularly if you don't drink water regularly
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    keep the tea, but persevere with the water especially if u have cellulite its fab for that:smile:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I myself place milk in the good category.

I know this is a totally different conversation but I had to say it:

Milk is actually a totally unnatural food. Adult mammals consuming the mammary secretions of another species of mammal? :huh:

It's a gross and weird practice. As an adult, you wouldn't drink another HUMAN'S breast milk. But you don't think twice when it comes from a cow? Now, I eat dairy so I'm not an anti-milk products nut but you do have to admit it's a bit strange.

...and probably not what we ought to call "good" calories.

The National Dairy Council stopped using the slogan "Milk, It Does A Body Good" because...it really doesn't. There are benefits and drawbacks, as with anything.

/rant
    dude you are seriously my new best friend

I've been saying this forever

Cows milk is meant to make a calf the size of a full grown cow. The only reason it exists is to make a small hoofed mammal into a giant one. It does nothing for humans but add an extremely unnecessary amount of fat to their bodies! We do not require milk past infancy, and this is why so many adults are lactose intolerant. It may give you calcium but the fat isn't meant to be taken in by a human body.

I have no idea why nobody believes me when I say this but you my friend, are my hero!

I so totally want to see both of your diaries
  • k_b_fit
    k_b_fit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Unless you're drinking decaf tea, you need to be wary of how much tea (caffeine) you have. In small amounts, caffeine has little effect on your hydration but in large amounts....
    I found this on the mayo clinic page.

""Question
    Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available. ""

A rule of thumb is, drink twice as much water as caffeine. That way you don't have to worry about being dehydrated.
  • hannahbryan86
    Options
    Hi! I;m a Nutritionist thought I would put my two penny in - there is nothing wrong with 3/4 cups of tea a day. Try it with skimmed milk and sweeter rather than sugar if you like it sweet! The thing to remember is actually its impact on the other things you eat. Caffeine's lowers your ability to absorb nutrients like Calcium which we dont get enough of anyway! It can dehydrate if you have to much AND that can make cellulite worse, make your skin look dry etc.

If I were you I would try decaf tea or half caf, you get the taste that you are used to any enjoy without the downside! :-) Hope that helps!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's question, no.

To answer the milk question, if you're not lactose-intolerant, milk is good for you. If you're concerned about hormones, go for the skim variety.
  • cryssybaby77
    cryssybaby77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say no! keep the tea. Try Green Tea! I make iced tea and drink that sometimes because I need something different in taste. I count it towards my water.

About the milk. I myself try to limit my milk to 1 cup a day at dinner mostly to use to fill. I found that drinking just that one glass with my dinner helps me personally eat less.)dinner is when I eat the most) Now you might say well why not drink water.. for me it doesn't work. I think its because I drink so much water during the day.. as as strange as this may be I don't drink alot while eating unless its milk with dinner. I have been trying different types of milk like almond and soy.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    JUST KEEP THE DRINKING THE TEA BUT USE FAT FREE MILK
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'd totally buy those responses if you didn't eat yogurt or ice cream or cheese or any of the million ways we get milk in a day.
    many people don't eat those products.
    mostly lactose intolerant people or vegans.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I so totally want to see both of your diaries

I said in my original message that I eat dairy and am not against it. But, just like I try to limit my grains, I try to limit my dairy. We've only been farming for about 100 years and these foods still make us sick. Evolution hasn't caught up yet. It's been too quick. And I know I feel better when I limit dairy and grains. I literally felt sick to my stomach every single day before mostly cutting them out. I thought I was doomed to a life of misery. Then a buddy of mine who eats paleo gave me some insight and, sure enough, it worked for me.

I don't get down with milk and haven't had it in almost 8 years but that's a holdover from all the gross stuff I read about it when I was vegetarian. And now I really don't like the taste. It tastes like salty pus to me. Almond milk ftw! But I'm a cheese hound. I know, it sounds odd but cheese is amazing. I would live off of blocks of it if it didn't make me ill and fat. haha

Anyway, all I'm saying is: I'm not judging anyone for eating dairy. That would make me a huge hypocrite. But it's important to examine WHY we hold the beliefs about food that we do. Sometimes they are just dead wrong.

:flowerforyou:
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    OMG really........

OP I say Drink your Tea!!! I drink a few cups a day with skim milk and a low gi type sugar.

I have tried those herbal teas and tried without milk and sugar and just can't do it.

For me it's one of lifes little pleasures, after the kids are in bed relaxing with a nice cuppa and a TV show. Nothing wrong with. I drink at min. 9 glasses of water a day so just try and up your water is all.